Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drop the dead dolphin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It's just a damn fish FFS.

It's a mammal actually, and an extremely intelligent one at that.

But either way, what they did was completely idiotic and wrong. Anyone with the mentality that tells them 'ah it's only a fish/animal or that it's ok to treat our wildlife like toys or party props wants to take a good long look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I really can't understand the hullabaloo over he lads finding a dead fish washed up on the beach and bringing it into the gaff. It's stupid, but it isn't cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some guy in the US called Captain Paul Watson is offering a 4000 reward for the people to be named and convicted of this. Link says 2000 but it's gone up since.

http://www.miragenews.com/sea-shepherd-activist-offers-e2k-for-identities-of-men-who-danced-with-dead-dolphin-at-party/

His Facebook post,

https://www.facebook.com/captpaulwatson/posts/10155066816775932#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

"Meanwhile, Parchment Square Student Accommodation refused to comment on the situation, despite being given multiple opportunities by phone and email from Independent.ie."

Such a smug paragraph from the independent. What exactly is the student accommodation supposed to comment on "yea, the kids did a bad thing, mmmkay"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

The comments on the Facebook page speak about the mentality of the people on it. I am not defending the carrying of the dead dolphin body around but when you have people calling for the two lads that did it to be killed it says how they value human life so much less than a mamal that may have died of natural causes

• Advertisement

On a serious note, this is getting well out of hand and this sort of Internet mob nonsense has ruined people's lives in the past.

They're two youngfellas who found a dead dolphin washed up and brought it to the flat as a laugh. (I imagine they did like, they hardly went out and harpooned the f*cking thing in Bantry Bay) It's crass and its silly but the only illegal thing I can see is improperly disposing of the dead animal. What is above arsehole in America aiming for them to be charged with exactly? Illegal dumping or littering?

If the boys had found a dead sheep up a mountain would there be a similar uproar?

This is a total non-event; they found a dead sea mammal - not a child. I hope your man gets scammed out of his money somehow, he obviously doesn't value it that much the eejit.

Jesus the comments on your man's page are mental. People on about burning them and hanging them and the rest. F*cking hell people love a lynch mob. It's disgraceful.

I was about to leave a comment myself only I'm half afraid I'll get bombarded by maniacs whose self worth is garnered by threatening people on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sure they focking blow dead whales up with dynamite and I don't see anyone whinging

I'd have a feeling the guy who's offering the reward doesn't know a lot about Irish laws!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Sure they focking blow dead whales up with dynamite and I don't see anyone whinging

I'd just like to echo this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I know somebody they tried to accuse, but he living in New Zealand past 18 months

People will throw others under bus to get few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some guy in the US called Captain Paul Watson is offering a 4000 reward for the people to be named and convicted of this. Link says 2000 but it's gone up since.

http://www.miragenews.com/sea-shepherd-activist-offers-e2k-for-identities-of-men-who-danced-with-dead-dolphin-at-party/

His Facebook post,

https://www.facebook.com/captpaulwatson/posts/10155066816775932#

You probably dont know PW but most will have heard of Greenpeace who he helped to found then left as they're overly pacifist.

tumblr_mywdyomok81to46dko3_500.jpg

When we as a race are still hacking mamals to death with hooks its understandable that one would look down on this kind of moronic behaviour from the peoples republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've read a bit about PW in that Facebook page and he comes across as a man who gets things done. To come up against some of the things he's come up against, you'd want to be a little guang ho. many of the articles read as a passionate conservationist and read well.

Has it been ascertained where the dolphin came from? How do we know they didn't kill it?

anewme wrote: »

Has it been ascertained where the dolphin came from? How do we know they didn't kill it?

We don't. But I find it highly unlikely a pair of 20 year old dopes had the ocean skills necessary to launch a craft into a harbour, before tracking a porpoise and using harpooning or netting equipment to catch it for the express purpose of bringing it to a party.

Far more likely they found it washed up and took it away with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

FTA69 wrote: »
    We don't. But I find it highly unlikely a pair of 20 year old dopes had the ocean skills necessary to launch a craft into a harbour, before tracking a porpoise and using harpooning or netting equipment to catch it for the express purpose of bringing it to a party.

Far more likely they found it washed up and took it away with them.

Yeah that would make much sense alright. Pack of dodos. If they'd brains, they'd be dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

On a serious note, this is getting well out of hand and this sort of Internet mob nonsense has ruined people's lives in the past.

They're two youngfellas who found a dead dolphin washed up and brought it to the flat as a laugh. (I imagine they did like, they hardly went out and harpooned the f*cking thing in Bantry Bay) It's crass and its silly but the only illegal thing I can see is improperly disposing of the dead animal. What is above arsehole in America aiming for them to be charged with exactly? Illegal dumping or littering?

If the boys had found a dead sheep up a mountain would there be a similar uproar?

This is a total non-event; they found a dead sea mammal - not a child. I hope your man gets scammed out of his money somehow, he obviously doesn't value it that much the eejit.

It's not a non event. Nobody should be dancing with dead fucjung animals in a flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They more than likely didn't kill it, like was posted earlier a washed-up rotting carcase...a stinking item that they loaded into a car, took to a party and dumped in a residential property for someone else to clean up afterwards...as you do.

It's not a non event. Nobody should be dancing with dead fucjung animals in a flat.

If they had taken a load of selfies with a dead sheep up in the Galtees or something would there be half the outrage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

If they had taken a load of selfies with a dead sheep up in the Galtees or something would there be half the outrage?

You mean if they found a dead sheep and took some selfies? Bit weird.

But would be a lot weirder if they took the sheep home, danced with it in their flat and threw the carcass out the door in the morning.

So yeah there would be half the outrage for the lesser act.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Let me put it to you this way, if a dead, stinking animal had been dumped on your property or garden would it be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I think a reward looking for these guys is absolutely ridiculous and just an another example of Internet lunch mob mentality.
    This sort of stuff can ruin people's lives and unfortunately push people over the edge.

They most likely found the dolphin dead somewhere and brought it back with them for whatever reason. Originally they could have wanted to keep the skeleton or skull which is completely plausible, I highly doubt they went out and killed it as that would be just cruel. If they found it dead I don't see what people are making a big deal out of it. It's dead!!!

It may have been at the house and then add a few drinks to the mix it could have seemed like a funny thing to do....

Not something I would do but Jesus people need to get a grip. Personally I would find it disrespectful treating a dead or alive animal like that but I think people need to cop on and give the guys a break. It wasnt alive like the kangeroo at the party a few years ago either so that's no comparason at all. This dolphin was DEAD it did not suffer ( assuming they found it somewhere )

Im sure plenty of the people who are out to linch these guys eat chickens that are cooped up in **horendous** living conditions their entire lives without seeing daylight....

or perhaps buy puppies "designer doggies" that have mothers living in **horrendous** conditions on puppy farms or frequently use products that are tested on animals without knowing it??

Or perhaps they go to a night at the dogs without thinking what happens to a lot of the greyhounds when redundant from racing?

Do you even think about the waste of food every day that millions of animals have been raised in captivity and slaughtered for?

And before people start attacking me - no I'm not a vegan - and I don't have any problems with people eating meat or using animal products - it just annoys me to see people being hypocrites and linching people over something that hasn't actually caused any suffering to the animal.

I think people need to their perspective in and if you feel so passionate about animals and how they are treated in this country it could be better to focus on the animals that are alive rather than dead....

Let me put it to you this way, if a dead, stinking animal had been dumped on your property or garden would it be ok?

Definitely not. And I would expect some recrimination and/or fine for those involved as well as an apology.

I wouldn't however, expect an internet lynch mob and a bunch of loons in America putting bounties out for information on the whereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The logical thing to do is to find the young men, kill them and bring their corpses to a party for photos and chuck them out the window after. see how they like it

We need a hastag name for the dolphin, so it will be forever remembered like harambe and Cecil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

find the young men, kill them and bring their corpses to a party for photos

4c287506617868f173b90ca2864065eddc01a42fb6fc66e2d13d640efa7823f3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why couldn't this party have been in Dolphin's Barn? The tabloid headlines would have been hilarious. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

ye are missing the point imho. The whole issue that surrounds this is the disrespect and ignorance of the general Irish Joe Blog regarding the welfare and safety of animals and other peoples property.

Any dead creature is covered in bacteria and other unpleasant things.Exposing yourself to that is highly dangerous. Why do you think people actually removing carcasses always wear gloves??

Secondly, they brought a dead animal INTO someone elses property - if I were the owner they'd be out on their a**e so fast they couldn't say dolphin.

Thirdly - it's totally and utterly disgraceful - dolphins are highly intelligent and displaying the dead animal in this specific way hackles pretty much every decent persons hair - including mine. :mad:

Secondly, they brought a dead animal INTO someone elses property - if I were the owner they'd be out on their a**e so fast they couldn't say dolphin.

The lease would have being up last Friday or this Friday. I don't think they'd care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That's what the canal is for :pac:

Advertisement