Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2017/18

• 26-05-2017 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42,078 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

This thread is for general discussion of the Fantasy Premier League. Feel free to post anything related to FPL in here which is not suitable for the other threads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,598 ✭✭✭✭CSF

City are gonna be an absolute minefield next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Agree with CSF, it's going to be unbelivable frustrating with City/Spurs I think.

First game week will be pot luck in terms of those players

Spurs? Will the Kane/Alli/Eriksen triangle not stay strong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

CSF wrote: »
    City are gonna be an absolute minefield next year.

I think Aguero (if there) and Jesus will be very close in price. And I'll be going for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Fixtures out on jun 14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fixtures out on jun 14

Jaysus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

AG7 will be in my team from the get go with major international football this year he will be fresh.

dahat wrote: »
    AG7 will be in my team from the get go with major international football this year he will be fresh.
    Problem is, if he gets priced the same as Kane and the City strikers, how do you pick him ahead of them with Mourinho as manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Problem is, if he gets priced the same as Kane and the City strikers, how do you pick him ahead of them with Mourinho as manager?

Think Utd will be a different animal next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Pricing is going to make it very tough to fit all the apparent 'must haves'.

Kane will be the most expensive player in the game I'd say. Getting him plus Jesus/Aguero in a balanced side will be a challenge in itself.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »

Think Utd will be a different animal next season.
    My experience is that this is not how Jose Mourinho works. Arsenal scored more goals this season when finishing 5th than Mourinho's Chelsea (a great team) who won the league in 14/15.

It's certainly not the attacking players I'd be gravitating towards at United next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Spurs playing all home games at Wembley next season has to be considered i.m.o. - they were pretty poor in their European games played there in the season just gone. Different atmosphere, and a pretty big difference in pitch dimensions (White Hart Lane a much smaller pitch comparatively! which suited how Spurs play) will see Spurs being less of a threat at home this season i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Hopefully Chelsea win the fa cap, as that will mean spurs v Chelsea in the community shield.

If spurs win a trophy at Wembley in their first match next season , that will go along way towards ending this Wembley curse.

Watford confirm the appointment of Marco Silva as head coach https://t.co/U5Hg8APMxc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's interesting looking back at week 1 of the season just finished to see how your team changed over the season. Here was my week 1 team below and my reasoning for choosing same:

f180a32c8795183c221a5af59cb88ff5.png
    Goalkeepers: I'm happy to go as cheap as possible here and a pick for Foster is a pick for Pulis, and a pick for Pulis is a pick for clean sheets. They open the season with 2 home games out of the first 3, taking on pal, EVE, and newly promoted MID. Jakupovic should start the season as Hull's #1 due to injury and while I'd expect them to have a very rough season, he gives me a playing bench option at the cheapest price possible for a few weeks. You can't ask for more than that.

Defenders: I can see Zouma/Shaw/Stones being my 3 plug in and play season keeper options at the back this year but to injuries, Terry should start the first few weeks at least and it's pretty much a straight swap then. Shaw doesn't need too much explanation. I don't know if Stones will start the 1st game but I'd expect him to start GW2. Even if he doesn't start the first I'm very happy with Friend's fixture in the meantime to switch in. Boro kept clean sheets in almost 50% of their games last season and had 9 in a row at one stage. Obviously it's a huge step up, but Karanka loves to keep things nice and tight and STO, sun, wba gives them a solid start. I'm happy to roll the dice on Brad Smith or Jordi Amat at £4.0m as things stand.

That defence will give me the following games for the first 3 weeks:

GW1 - WHU, bou, SUN (or STO)
    GW2 - SOU, wat, sto (or sun)
    GW3 - WHU, hul, BUR

Midfield: Hazard is a bit of a punt at that price considering all that has gone on last season but he has looked lively. He seems to have played some games centrally off the striker in pre-season and has nice fixtures to start off. I can afford one premium MID and I'm happy to take the chance considering the uncertainty over De Bruyne's fitness. Tadic admittedly didn't immediately register on my radar, but I read from those far more knowledgeable than me on Southampton that their new gaffer will line up with him playing as a #10 at the tip of a diamond. He should also have their penalties and a bulk of set pieces. With 8 goals and 13 assists last season despite only starting 20 odd games, he looks great value at £7.5m for the first 3 weeks with home games against WAT and SUN. Sigurdsson faces bur and HUL to open the season and thus looks a nice option for those planning an early wildcard despite Swansea likely to struggle. Townsend ended last season on fire and WBA, tot and BOU are a good way to find out if he's a long term option. Capoue is the £4.5m placeholder.

Strikers: Aguero is simply must have. There's a slight risk with Ibrahimovic at that price, but the way I see it is I'd much rather be on him early and able to downgrade to literally anyone else if things go south as opposed to trying to scramble to fit him in. I'm caught in 3 minds over the £6.5m striker option - Gray, Negredo or Long. I really want Gray for GW1, but his next 2 fixtures are terrible. Negredo has 3 solid fixtures but is in a defensively minded side with a manager who has a habit of subbing his striker after the hour mark. Long has WAT and SUN at home in 2 of his first 3 but with Tadic it feels like overkill.

It'll all be blown up after 3 GW's but I think that gives me a solid enough base. Main things I need to sort out are 1) who to go with as the £6.5m striker option, 2) who to go with as my £4.0m defender and 3) who is the best midfielder in that £7.5m or under bracket for the first 3 weeks that is not Tadic or Townsend.

Any thoughts or critique is most welcome lads so fire away.

Funny to think I was convinced that Zouma, Shaw and Stones were my shouts as defenders. In theory, they should have been solid picks at very attractive prices but that went out the window very quickly. :pac:

I ended up with Foster and Amat in my squad from the beginning to the end, but other than that I finished the season with no one else. Aguero, Ibrahimovic, Sigurdsson and Hazard made a couple of cameo appearances for a few weeks at different times throughout the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Huddersfield promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Claude Puel sacked. I for one will not shed a tear after how he fcuked us over for the DGWs.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Claude Puel sacked. I for one will not shed a tear after how he fcuked us over for the DGWs.

Can gabbiadini be sacked too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

km79 wrote: »
    Can gabbiadini be sacked too :D

Bring back Pelle, now there was an Italian forward you could trust :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Bring back Pelle, now there was an Italian forward you could trust :D

Pelle delivered the goods nevery time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I do not remember it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭patmac

Costa just tweeted that Conte wants him out. Lukaku looking a certain replacement so.
    Kun, Lukaku, Kane again this year?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

patmac wrote: »
    Costa just tweeted that Conte wants him out. Lukaku looking a certain replacement so.

If Lukaku is under 11 next year and at Chelsea, I'm in.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    If Lukaku is under 11 next year and at Chelsea, I'm in.

Same here. The service he got last year at Everton was nothing short of shocking, I'd be of the opinion that Ross Barkley may be one of the most overrated players of all time. A hungry Lukaku being fed by the likes of Hazard Fabregas and Pedro is something I'd be all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

patmac wrote: »

The problem is that Kane will be 12.5 or 13.0, Aguero will be interesting, has to be a bit cheaper but I'd say if we're expecting a bargain we'll be disappointed. 11.5 or probably 12.0. Lukaku at Chelsea will be at least 11.0, maybe 11.5

Very hard to afford all 3 from the start. 36m plus....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

FHFC wrote: »
    The problem is that Kane will be 12.5 or 13.0, Aguero will be interesting, has to be a bit cheaper but I'd say if we're expecting a bargain we'll be disappointed. 11.5 or probably 12.0. Lukaku at Chelsea will be at least 11.0, maybe 11.5

Very hard to afford all 3 from the start. 36m plus....
    Reckon Kane will be more than Aguero?

Probably agree, but it'll be strange. First time in a while he hasn't been the most expensive. Was RVP the last one before him to be more expensive?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Reckon Kane will be more than Aguero?

Probably agree, but it'll be strange. First time in a while he hasn't been the most expensive. Was RVP the last one before him to be more expensive?

I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

FHFC wrote:

Not to worry, we can all buy 2 from that 3 plus Andre Grey again. What could possibly go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

List of out of contract players released by PL clubs:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/414631

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

List of out of contract players released by PL clubs:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/414631

Hopefully Zab will be cheap enough at west ham next season. Could be a good pick if he gets some game time

Advertisement