Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car purchase done horrible

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesKerry

bazz26 wrote: »
    This thread is getting more bizarre by the page. It sounds like the car was being sold cheaper because of the underlying issues but the OP thought it might not have been as bad as it turned out to be.

OP, a rattle in a chain no matter how slight is still not right and only gets worse. Also unless the seller has a crystal ball how the hell would they know it will last another 30k? Also these chains do not suddenly die at 150k, they can fail on cars with half that mileage too and have also failed on cars as new as 2013/2014.

Of course, these cars are making over 10500 and more. I was buying on the assumption that some work may be needed, for instance back tires, oil service (even though it did say fully service) maybe an accessories belt but that is still in pretty good shape, etc. But nothing along the lines of a timing chain and flywheel, two of some of the top biggest jobs to do on an engine during its life span.

It was so slight when i was buying it that you couldn't say "yep thats the timing chain" unless you were a training mechanic. As someone already mentioned, any good mechanic would have known that it needed doing and the owner stated he had it serviced. Going by that, we could assume he had god damn pretty good knowledge.

The thing with all this is, if he had said it was going to be a problem and allowed us to accommodate that price to fix when financing, then it wouldn't be an issue really, would it. Of course I would have brought him down more on price but not 1200 as 9000 for a car of this age is reasonable even with fixes to do (not to this extent, unprepared) I would have offered him 8250 with price in mind of 8500, saving 500 on purchase and having the finance organized for repairs.

Timing Chain:

Yes of course a chain can go at any point but Bmw say at 150K+ , it more than likely needs changing if it hasn't been changed to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A timing chain is supposed to last the lifetime of the engine, so much so that BMW even fitted it at the back of the engine which is right up against the cabin bulkhead. BMW didn't even admit that there was a problem with the chains in these engines. Have you any links to where they claim they can last for at least 150k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

you should be able to hear a timing chain rattle on start up hence we had to have ours done

Advertisement