Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chris Cornell Dead @ 52

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Listening now. Really enjoying it. Great interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭fyfe79

seachto7 wrote: »
    There are a few other "lesser" grunge bands knocking around still. Mudhoney for example, and not sure if folk know of the band called Truly. No longer together, but brought out a decent album way back.

I remember reading a great review for Truly's album in Kerrang back in 1995 and debating whether to buy it. The other night I was listening to the recent Singles soundtrack reissue and there's a Truly track on it, so I went and finally bought the Truly album ' "Fast Stories from Kid Coma"... only took me 22 years! :-)

Features Soundgarden's original bassist, Hiro Yamomoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

david75 wrote: »
    Marc Maron just released his chat with chris from two years ago. Told it's a great listen

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/wtf-with-marc-maron-podcast/id329875043?mt=2&i=1000385645688

Thanks for sharing. Great interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

fyfe79 wrote: »
    IlThe other night I was listening to the recent Singles soundtrack reissue and there's a Truly track on it, so I went and finally bought the Truly album ' "Fast Stories from Kid Coma"... only took me 22 years! :-)

Features Soundgarden's original bassist, Hiro Yamomoto.

Yup. Picked it up a few years ago but could only find a digital copy. Did you manage to get a physical copy? Blue Flame Ford is a top tune. As a result I picked up the ex singers solo album too which is worth a listen. (Name escapes me)

Yup. Picked it up a few years ago but could only find a digital copy. Did you manage to get a physical copy? Blue Flame Ford is a top tune. As a result I picked up the ex singers solo album too which is worth a listen. (Name escapes me)

Yeah, found the cd on Discogs for a tenner. That was the cheapest I could find.

• Advertisement

Must have a look! Rumours of a new album too... well that was a few years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

There was a new album in the works, Cornell said in April that they were
    halfway through writing the new album, We’re not on a schedule.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/04/chris-cornell-offers-update-on-new-soundgarden-album/

And last November Kim said
    We're shooting to release it in late 2017. We've already done some writing. We have some more writing to do, and then there's the whole studio process.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/soundgarden-is-shooting-for-late-2017-release-date-for-next-studio-album-says-kim-thayil/

Kim recently said there were 12 demos for a new album and this was in September, so obviously more has been done since then:
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/soundgarden-has-rough-demos-of-a-dozen-or-so-songs-for-next-studio-album-says-kim-thayil/

Here's a very recent one with Kim, shortly before Cornell's death:
    http://www.nme.com/news/music/soundgarden-working-new-album-before-chris-cornell-death-2073685

It also seems that Cornell had recorded some stuff for a solo covers album:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/chris-cornell-david-fricke-on-soundgarden-singer-final-days-w484560

Would be good if this sees the light of day. Maybe they could rework it, get a singer/some singers in and have it as a Temple of the Dog style album...

As silly as it sounds, maybe have Corey Taylor sing on it. Seems to be a big Soundgarden fan and his was the best of the tributes.

Outshined:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUoqaPODc3A

Hunger Strike:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cI9UWcCjOw

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    As silly as it sounds, maybe have Corey Taylor sing on it. Seems to be a big Soundgarden fan and his was the best of the tributes.

Outshined:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUoqaPODc3A

Hunger Strike:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cI9UWcCjOw

Living Colour's version of Blow Up The Outside World was decent too

https://youtu.be/HV3TQWt-Y7A

But Corey did some good versions in fairness.

Maybe Ben could step up and release it as a solo project? Maybe get Hiro involved too for old times sake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Surely if they were more or less finished writing it there'd be demos on tape? I'd prefer to hear very rough Chris Cornell vocals than anyone else's polished vocals if it was anyway possible.

Don't have a source, but I remember reading somewhere that they had 6 pretty much finished songs. Maybe not fully mastered, but would love to hear any new tracks featuring Chris in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Vedder had kept quiet what wig the batsh!t mother and law coming at him and the circumstances in general. He broke the silence tonight in London during a gig.

Eddie About Chris in London

Sometimes it's hard to concentrate these days. I was thinking about the history of this building and the Bowie history. So I started to think about that and my mind began to wander. It's not a good...
    So I haven't really been talking about some things and I kind of... now it feels like it's conspicuous because I lost a really close friend of mine, somebody who...(applause)
    I'll say this too, I grew up as 4 boys, 4 brothers and I lost my brother 2 years ago tragically like that in an accident and after that and losing a few other people, I'm not good at it, meaning I'm not...I have not been willing to accept the reality and that's just how I'm dealing with it (applause starts)
    no, no, no, no
    So I want to be there for the family, be there for the community, be there for my brothers in my band, certainly the brothers in his band. But these things will take time but my friend is going to be gone forever and I will just have to...
    These things take time and I just want to send this out to everyone who was affected by it and they all back home and here appreciate it so deeply the support and the good thoughts of a man who was a ... you know he wasn't just a friend he was someone I looked up to like my older brother.
    About two days after the news, I think it was the second night we were sleeping in this little cabin near the water, a place he would've loved. And all these memories started coming in about 1:30am like woke me up. Like big memories, memories I would think about all the time. Like the memories were big muscles.
    And then I couldn't stop the memories. And trying to sleep it was like if the neighbours had the music playing and you couldn't stop it. But then it was fine because then it got into little memories. It just kept going and going and going. And I realised how lucky I was to have hours worth of...you know if each of these memories was quick and I had hours of them. How fortunate was I?! And I didn't want to be sad, wanted to be grateful not sad. I'm still thinking about those memories and I will live with those memories in my heart and I will...love him forever
    (Applause and standing ovation)
    thanks Graham for the help for eddie speech

david75 wrote: »
    Vedder had kept quiet what wig the batsh!t mother and law coming at him and the circumstances in general. He broke the silence tonight in London during a gig.

Eddie About Chris in London

Sometimes it's hard to concentrate these days. I was thinking about the history of this building and the Bowie history. So I started to think about that and my mind began to wander. It's not a good...
    So I haven't really been talking about some things and I kind of... now it feels like it's conspicuous because I lost a really close friend of mine, somebody who...(applause)
    I'll say this too, I grew up as 4 boys, 4 brothers and I lost my brother 2 years ago tragically like that in an accident and after that and losing a few other people, I'm not good at it, meaning I'm not...I have not been willing to accept the reality and that's just how I'm dealing with it (applause starts)
    no, no, no, no
    So I want to be there for the family, be there for the community, be there for my brothers in my band, certainly the brothers in his band. But these things will take time but my friend is going to be gone forever and I will just have to...
    These things take time and I just want to send this out to everyone who was affected by it and they all back home and here appreciate it so deeply the support and the good thoughts of a man who was a ... you know he wasn't just a friend he was someone I looked up to like my older brother.
    About two days after the news, I think it was the second night we were sleeping in this little cabin near the water, a place he would've loved. And all these memories started coming in about 1:30am like woke me up. Like big memories, memories I would think about all the time. Like the memories were big muscles.
    And then I couldn't stop the memories. And trying to sleep it was like if the neighbours had the music playing and you couldn't stop it. But then it was fine because then it got into little memories. It just kept going and going and going. And I realised how lucky I was to have hours worth of...you know if each of these memories was quick and I had hours of them. How fortunate was I?! And I didn't want to be sad, wanted to be grateful not sad. I'm still thinking about those memories and I will live with those memories in my heart and I will...love him forever
    (Applause and standing ovation)
    thanks Graham for the help for eddie speech

Brutal stuff. Hard to read! Thanks for sharing man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Surely if they were more or less finished writing it there'd be demos on tape? I'd prefer to hear very rough Chris Cornell vocals than anyone else's polished vocals if it was anyway possible.

Not entirely, a demo would generally just be a guide on how a song can be arranged and possibly produced. And usually done long before any serious recording sessions. It'll be interesting to get them released alright if possible.

I couldn't see them ever doing anything with a different singer, unless it was Cornell's brother for the RnR Hall of Fame or something. Definitely would love to hear any demos or finished songs that they were working on. Any Cornell is better than no Cornell at all!

Still struggling with this one, I gotta say. Anyone that ever doubts the greatness of Chris Cornell should watch this:

One of the best singers ever? Without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Still struggling with this one, I gotta say.

I bought Songbook, Higher Truth and Louder than Love 2 weeks ago and have only been able to listen to Songbook at this stage and it's more of a task than anything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

This hit me really hard. I'm really thankful that I got to see him perform in Newcastle in 2012 on a solo tour. [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]During a quiet moment between two songs, some gutsy teenage boy called out from the audience asking to come play a song with him. He responded saying "I dunno man, how confident are you that you won't make us both look like dicks?". He played a couple more songs, then invited this lad up on stage to play a song (he chose Outshined) on guitar while he sang. Definitely one of the coolest things I ever saw any act do![/font]

• Advertisement

I'm proud that when he asked the crowd for a request at the gig in 2012 in the Olympia, I shouted "Seasons" and he took my request! Certainly the best singer I ever heard live. Gonna take a long time to get over this one.

fluke wrote: »
    I bought Songbook, Higher Truth and Louder than Love 2 weeks ago and have only been able to listen to Songbook at this stage and it's more of a task than anything else...

Do you meant the album is bad? If so, check out his first solo album produced by the great Alain Johannes. Also feature Johanne's wife on keys, Natasha Schneider, who also played with QOTSA, and who sadly passed away too some years ago.

The Singles reissue has some nice acoustic Cornell demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Do you meant the album is bad? If so, check out his first solo album produced by the great Alain Johannes. Also feature Johanne's wife on keys, Natasha Schneider, who also played with QOTSA, and who sadly passed away too some years ago.

The Singles reissue has some nice acoustic Cornell demos.

No not at all just mean I have a hard time listening to it right now. It's generally quite good, I just found he said a lot of stuff in between songs that was quite life affirming...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

New video for The Promise, hard to believe it's been a month, just seen those Facebook posts by his daughters, really difficult and heartbreaking to read.

New video for The Promise, hard to believe it's been a month, just seen those Facebook posts by his daughters, really difficult and heartbreaking to read.

That's a really beautiful song. The guy had so much more to give - hope he's found peace now. Absolutely heartbreaking for his family - I feel heartbroken, never mind how his family must feel! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Well worth a listen, an hour long podcast interview with Mark Maron (self indulged idiot) and Chris Cornell on the 20th anniversary of Superunknown.

Skip to 12 minutes and avoid Maron talking ****e.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/chris-cornells-daughter-12-performs-tribute-late-father/story?id=49024365

Not a dry eye in the house! What a courageous girl to get up there and sing that on TV. Must've been horrendous for her.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

New song, a cover of a Johnny Cash song, incredibly poignant and the lyrics are eerie giving what happened.

Still getting horrible bouts of sadness about the loss of Chris. Just listening to a few tunes on YouTube and thinking about how sad it is that we'll never hear so many classic songs sung live again.

One of the very greatest rock vocalists that's ever lived.

• Advertisement

Two years to the day since he played the Olympia, when tickets came out I was thinking 'Ah I'll see him again some other time', I'm really glad I decided to go now.

I still feel the same sadness about it, was listening to the live acoustic album a while ago and his version of 'Thank You' had me close to tears, really poignant giving what happened, I loved the Higher Truth album when it came out, but I've barely listened to it in the last 11 months it's just way too sad now. I got the Temple of the Dog album after he died but never really felt like listening to it.

The sudden nature of his death is what really got to me, don't think I'll ever be so profoundly affected by a celebrity death again.

Advertisement