Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing It Properly for Once

Options
  • 17-05-2017 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Background on myself : 6'4", about 84 kg, 25. Know what I'm at in the gym but going to go at it properly this time and hoping this log keeps me honest! Going to do a push/pull/legs routine with core work thrown in on whatever day I feel up to it. 2 hypertrophy sessions to every strength session. Planning on building up strength and size until August then cutting down for 5 weeks in advance of a holiday.

Today was Push Hypertrophy:
    Bench Press 4x10 @60kg
    Military Press 4x10 @40kg x2, 30kg x2
    Incline Dumbell Press 3x10 @22.5kg a side
    Lateral Raise 3x10 @5kg
    Tricep Pulldown 4x10 @ 20kg
    Overhead Tricep Extension 4x10 @15kg
    Reverse Fly 3x10 @5kg
    Front Plate Raise 3x10 @10kg plate
    Dumbbell Shrugs 3x10 @ 22.5kg SS w/ Upright Row 3x10 @17.5kg
    15 minutes core work at the end

Disappointed with the Military Press and Incline Press, guess the bench press just fatigued me. Bench was fairly easy, gonna put that up to 65kg next time. All reps in good form and slow, not going too heavy yet. Focusing on shoulders more than chest as you can see.

Diet is fairly good, not keeping a very close eye on things but definitely getting in more than 2800 cals and 130g protein.

Would love to hear any thoughts! Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Squat 5x10 @70kg
    Leg Press 4x10 @110kg
    Leg Curl 4x10 @65kg
    Lunges 3x20 @20kg

Light enough easy session. No leg extension machine in the gym unfortunately. Planning on introducing calf raises simply forgot about them today. Any other good exercises you guys would recommend? Still had buckets of energy after that so did 20 mins on the bikes but would prefer to add another strength exercise instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

domrush wrote: »
    Any other good exercises you guys would recommend?

Front squats for more quads? Bulgarian split squats too if the goal is to make yourself cry.

Front squats for more quads? Bulgarian split squats too if the goal is to make yourself cry.

Glutes might be where I'd be looking to hit more, I'll give them both a try cheers! Would you go considerably lighter when front squatting compared to regular squatting?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

RDLs for glutes. Also, my glutes get a good hit off lunges/split squats with feet further apart (front to back )

Chins up 3x10@BW
    One arm row 3x10@32.5kg
    Barbell row 3x10@40kg
    Seated Row 3x10@55kg
    Lat Pull down 3x10@55kg

Bicep Barbell Curl 4x10@22.5kg
    Bicep Dumbbell Curl 3x10@10kg
    Cable Bicep Curl 4x10@30kg
    Reverse Barbell Curl 3x10@15kg

Dumbbell Wrist Curl 3x10@5kg
    Barbell Reverse Wrist Curl (Behind the back) 3x10@10kg

All fairly easy all in all, could put up the weight on everything next week bar maybe the one arm row (arm fatigue more than back after the chin ups).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

RDLs for glutes. Also, my glutes get a good hit off lunges/split squats with feet further apart (front to back )

Ye, single leg RDLs for them for me, and reverse lunges

One arm row 3x10@32.5kg
    Barbell row 3x10@40kg
    Seated Row

I'd drop one of these in favour of another vertical pulling exercise. One unilateral and one bilateral pulling exercise is more than enough on that front. A second vertical pulling exercise, if you want to do that many, would be a better balance

I'd drop one of these in favour of another vertical pulling exercise. One unilateral and one bilateral pulling exercise is more than enough on that front. A second vertical pulling exercise, if you want to do that many, would be a better balance

Cheers Alf, any recommendations? Would have thought Chin-ups would have been a second vertical pulling exercise? Trying to avoid pull ups as don't want to stress the triceps so they're fatigued on push days. Have a lot of spare time in advance of starting a new job so time isn't a major factor at the min

Cheers Alf, any recommendations? Would have thought Chin-ups would have been a second vertical pulling exercise? Trying to avoid pull ups as don't want to stress the triceps so they're fatigued on push days. Have a lot of spare time in advance of starting a new job so time isn't a major factor at the min

Missed the pulldowns because reading....you don't need the 2 bilateral horizontal pulling though. Think about what muscles you're hitting and what you want to hit.

That said it depends how you're actually doing them and you might be focusing on different muscles

Missed the pulldowns because reading....you don't need the 2 bilateral horizontal pulling though. Think about what muscles you're hitting and what you want to hit.

That said it depends how you're actually doing them and you might be focusing on different muscles

Doing a fairly wide grip on the bent-over barbell rows and then doing the seated rows with a close grip attachment on a cable machine. Happy to drop one if you think I'm overworking the same area though

• Advertisement

Doing a fairly wide grip on the bent-over barbell rows and then doing the seated rows with a close grip attachment on a cable machine. Happy to drop one if you think I'm overworking the same area though

It's not that it's overworking it, per se.

It's just important to be able to justify doing everything you do. If the two rows were similar and working the same muscles, for the most part, then you'd drop one.

If it starts becoming a limiting factor for recovery then you might look at dropping ome but if there's a different focus with both, no need to drop one.

It's not that it's overworking it, per se.

It's just important to be able to justify doing everything you do. If the two rows were similar and working the same muscles, for the most part, then you'd drop one.

If it starts becoming a limiting factor for recovery then you might look at dropping ome but if there's a different focus with both, no need to drop one.

Just looking to increase size at the minute. Might drop one in favour of some lower back exercises like back extensions maybe?

Just looking to increase size at the minute. Might drop one in favour of some lower back exercises like back extensions maybe?

Look at what you're doing across the week. What areas are you working and look at what you could be working better?

Bench Press 4x10 @62.5kg
    Military Press 4x10 @35kg
    Incline Dumbell Press 3x10 @24kg a side
    Lateral Raise 3x10 @6kg

Tricep Pulldown 4x10 @ 25kg
    Overhead Tricep Extension 4x10 @20kg

Reverse Fly 3x10 @6kg
    Front Plate Raise 3x8 @15kg plate
    Dumbbell Shrugs 3x10 @ 25kg SS w/ Upright Row 3x10 @20kg

Still had a good bit of energy at the end but had to leave due to time restrictions. Happy enough with everything, military press still a struggle after bench. Surprised to be so fatigued as I can normally manage a set of 10 reps @50/52.5kg if I start off on military press.

Squat 4x5 @90kg, 1x10 ass to grass @40kg
    Leg Press 4x10 @120kg
    Leg Curl 4x10 @70kg
    Lunges 3x20 @25kg

Bit rushed for time. Gave the front squats a quick go @40kg, takes a bit of getting used to. Depth on the back squats is pretty poor I've noticed, any recommendations on how to confront this? Hip flexor stretching?

Chins up 3x10@BW
    One arm row 3x10@35kg
    Barbell row 3x10@45kg
    Seated Row 3x8@60kg
    Lat Pull down 3x8@60kg

Bicep Barbell Curl 4x10@27.5kg
    Bicep Dumbbell Curl 3x8@12kg
    Cable Bicep Curl 4x10@35kg
    Reverse Barbell Curl 3x10@17.5kg

Dumbbell Wrist Curl 3x10@6kg
    Barbell Reverse Wrist Curl (Behind the back) 3x10@15kg

Bench Press 4x5 @70kg
    Military Press 4x5 @45kg
    Incline Dumbell Press 3x5 @28kg a side
    Lateral Raise 3x5 @8

Tricep Pulldown 4x5 @ 30kg
    Overhead Tricep Extension 4x5 @25kg

Reverse Fly 3x5 @8kg
    Front Plate Raise 3x5 @20kg plate
    Dumbbell Shrugs 3x5 @ 30kg SS w/ Upright Row 3x5 @27.5kg

Barbell Bicep Curl 3x5@30kg
    Dumbell Bicep Curl 3x5@15kg a side

Good session, could have managed another 5kg bench and military press, and an improvement of some magnitude everywhere else.

Question 1: is the format for these logs generrally sets x reps or have I been doing it wrong?

Question 2: is 1 day between sessions enough rest for biceps?

Question 1: is the format for these logs generrally sets x reps or have I been doing it wrong?

Question 2: is 1 day between sessions enough rest for biceps?

Weight by sets by reps. Everything else is wrong.

A day is plenty for biceps. It's a small muscle...recovers quickly.

Cheers Alf much obliged

Squat 60x1x5
    80x2x5
    90x1x5
    100x1x2

Leg Press 130x4x5
    Leg Curl 80x4x5
    Leg Extension 20.4x3x5 (Unsure about this, can normally get 70 kg on a modern leg extension machine, was a very old one in the gym with a maze of pulleys)
    Lunges 30x3x5
    Dumbbell Calf Raises 27.5x4x5

Depth on squats again not quite parallel. Do ye normally use a bar or dumbbells for calf raises folks? No seated machine in current gym so doing em standing on a plate for a bit of extra range of movement.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry about what you can/can't do on different pulley machines different machines have different levels of frictional resistances depending on the set up.

Doesn't really matter what you do calf raises with. DBs are easier to manage though

Bench Press 65x4x10
    Military Press 37.5x4x10
    Incline Dumbell Press 25x3x10
    Lateral Raise 7x3x10
    Tricep Pulldown 40x4x10
    Overhead Tricep Extension 25x4x10
    Reverse Fly 6x3x10
    Front Plate Raise 15x3x10
    Dumbbell Shrugs 25x3x10 SS w/ Upright Row 20x3x10
    Bicep Barbell Curl 30x4x8
    Bicep Dumbbell Curl 12.5x3x10
    Cable Bicep Curl 40x4x10
    Reverse Curl 20x3x10

Just catching up on this. Did a big session before a boozy weekend. Diet went to ****e on the weekend, not eating anywhere near enough and didn't take any creatine so have to load up on that again.

One arm row 36x3x10
    Barbell row 47.5x3x10
    Seated Row 65x3x8

Bicep Barbell Curl 30x4x10
    Bicep Dumbbell Curl 12x3x8
    Cable Bicep Curl Level 5?x4x10

Quick Pull Session after the weekend, didn't feel great so kept it quick. New gym with different cable machine so unsure on the numbers there.

Bench Press 67.5x1x10, 67.5x3x8
    Military Press 37.5x4x10
    Incline Dumbell Press 26x3x10
    Lateral Raise 8x3x10
    Tricep Pulldown 45x4x10
    Overhead Tricep Extension 30x4x10
    Reverse Fly 7x3x10
    Front Plate Raise 20x3x8
    Dumbbell Shrugs 26x3x10 SS w/ Upright Row 22.5x3x10
    Bicep Barbell Curl 30x2x10
    Bicep Dumbbell Curl 12x2x10
    Cable Bicep Curl 40x2x10

Real need to start getting some core work in but its hard to have the energy at the end of a session.

Meant to do legs today but the squatting racks were being worked on so did pull instead.

Weighted Plank 20kgx4x40secs
    One arm row 37.5x3x8
    Barbell row 50x3x10
    Seated Row 65x3x10
    Lat Pulldown 65x3x9

Bicep Barbell Curl 30x3x10
    Bicep Dumbbell Curl 14x3x10
    Cable Bicep Curl Level 40x3x10
    Sit ups BWx1x30,BWx3x20

Core strength is very poor as you can see.

Two hours of football yday so counting that as Legs for the week.

Bench Press 75x4x5
    Military Press 50x4x5
    Incline Dumbell Press 30x3x5
    Lateral Raise 7.5x3x5

Tricep Pulldown 50x4x5
    Overhead Tricep Extension 45x4x5

Reverse Fly 8x3x5
    Front Dumbell Raise 10x3x5
    Dumbbell Shrugs 35x3x5 SS w/ Upright Row 30x3x5

Delighted with that, could have gone to 77.5kg on the bench if I had a spotter. One of my goals was to hit a 1RM of 90kg on the bench by September, think I'm well on progress to achieve that.

2 Days ago:

Have a strained hip flexor from footie so didn't go heavy on the legs :

Squat 70x5x10
    Leg Press 90x4x10
    Lunges 20kgx5x10
    Leg Curl 50x4x5

Yesterday :
    One arm row 40x3x5
    Barbell row 60x3x5
    Seated Row 70x3x5
    Lat Pulldown 65x3x8

Bicep Barbell Curl 35x3x5
    Bicep Dumbbell Curl 18x3x5
    Cable Bicep Curl 55x3x5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Only this myself now, never even realised I've been writing my own log incorrectly!

Advertisement