Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"BMW First"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I was thinking that too. What's to stop you signing up the week before your service, get your free wipers and your discount and cancel again. Same if you need xenon bulbs etc.

Definitely planning to cancel too. I was only using them for oil changes anyway and the free wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

FYI - when you cancel, your subscription still runs for a month. I cancelled yesterday and my subscription will run until 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

dingding wrote: »
    Or is it that you pay the full price for the Platinim service and you can bring a guest for free.

They have updated terms and conditions today and I took a look. It's pay full price and bring another for free on this and the Mondello offer. It's also (unsurprisingly) once per year.

Have cancelled today having thought some more about it. Just not worth it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

For what it's worth, I had to get all four discs and pads replaced on my 1 Series at the end April. I signed up for the cheapest option and ended up getting a months free trial, despite already having one a last year and got about ~€200 off the service price. I cancelled then before they billed me so I paid nothing and got a huge chunk off the end cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

SaintsYB wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I had to get all four discs and pads replaced on my 1 Series at the end April. I signed up for the cheapest option and ended up getting a months free trial, despite already having one a last year and got about ~€200 off the service price. I cancelled then before they billed me so I paid nothing and got a huge chunk off the end cost.

Is that to say the original price was about a grand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Is that to say the original price was about a grand?

I can't remember exactly how much it was. Probably closer to €900 for the whole job so around €180 off it. A little bit off what I thought. I was still travelling to work though. Turns out the rear pads were down to metal on metal despite the computer telling me it had around 6,000km left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've mine cancelled ages ago, I liked the car wash but that went to pure s**t, my car is under warrenty anyway so don't have any service costs to worry about (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Clareman wrote: »
    I've mine cancelled ages ago, I liked the car wash but that went to pure s**t, my car is under warrenty anyway so don't have any service costs to worry about (yet).

Did not know there was a warranty that covers service costs. Have you purchased a service package or was it included in the sale?

There isn't. I'd say it's the service pack which usually lasts the same length of time as the original 3 year BMW warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Service pack is fairly good value at the moment as well. I took one out for €429 which covers up to 100k Kms or 5 years from first registration of the car.

Covers oil service, air filter, fuel filter, brake fluid, microfilter, vehicle check. I would expect to need two oil services before 100k km, 1 brake fluid and one air\fuel\microfilter change. I think it is good enough value really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That's the service pack alright, great value in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

Slightly off topic, but has anyone had to book in for service with dealers in last week or so and how did it go in terms of getting an appointment ? Long lead time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Booked my wife's car in late last week and was done Tuesday. They replaced the EGR cooler too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Service pack looks interesting, didnt know that existed. I am looking at a 2018 530e import with less than 20,000miles which will have the warranty until 2021 which I will then extend. So now for another 429eur I can purchase a service pack and wont have any servicing costs either?

Although, brake pads, discs etc are not covered...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ricey3509

Cona wrote: »
    Service pack looks interesting, didnt know that existed. I am looking at a 2018 530e import with less than 20,000miles which will have the warranty until 2021 which I will then extend. So now for another 429eur I can purchase a service pack and wont have any servicing costs either?

Although, brake pads, discs etc are not covered...

I asked about the service pack for my 530e in Joe Duffy’s and the response was as long as it hadn’t been serviced already and was on Irish plates then you could buy the service pack

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Got a phone call today off the approved dealer i bought my car off last year. 2015 3 series. 50k when I bought it and I've done a further 20k.

He said I'm due to have my pollen and oil filter and break fluid changed.

Quoted me €333 and said it would be cheaper than the approved dealers in Dub.

Am I right in thinking I can get this one for substantially less from an independent mechanic in Dublin.

Any pros and cons to either choice?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Got a phone call today off the approved dealer i bought my car off last year. 2015 3 series. 50k when I bought it and I've done a further 20k.

He said I'm due to have my pollen and oil filter and break fluid changed.

Quoted me €333 and said it would be cheaper than the approved dealers in Dub.

Am I right in thinking I can get this one for substantially less from an independent mechanic in Dublin.

Any pros and cons to either choice?

Thanks

Yes.

You'd also be right in thinking you just got cold called with somebody trying to rip you off. I would ask politely your number be removed from whatever database of potential suckers they've compiled.

Yes.

You'd also be right in thinking you just got cold called with somebody trying to rip you off. I would ask politely your number be removed from whatever database of potential suckers they've compiled.

I guess the database is from people they sold a car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yes.

They aren't trying to rip him off?

He bought the car from them, it's due a service, they reminded him it's due and offered him a quote. No harm done there really imo.

Sure they didn't say fred in the shed could do it cheaper but that's probably not part of their business model.

• Advertisement

I didn't care that he called me, services are part of their business model, I'm sure I allowed them when I signed my name to the forms when I purchased it.

Got it fully serviced from a very reliable family business out in Tallaght for 60e less and they valeted it for free so happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Hi all. Currently considering buying what would be my first BMW and hope it's okay to jump in here with a few questions rather than starting a new thread.

It's a 2015 316d SE model and it comes with the BMW Approved Used Cars guarantee.

Am trying to get a handle on what likely servicing/maintenance costs going forward might be, with or without the BMW First 20% discount. I know there are prices on the bmwservice.ie site but I'm confused as to what exactly you should have done and how often.

For example, it says all of these are recommended every 18,000 miles or 2 years from last oil service or inspection:
    Engine Oil Service - €158
    Engine Oil Service with Microfilter - €237
    Engine Oil Service with Microfilter, Air Filter and Fuel Filter - €427

Also has things like replace pollen filter (€92) but doesn't say how often?

Basically, if you want to keep things right, what's the approximate recommended schedule for getting everything done?

Also, is there an approximate age at which it'd be "okay" to use an independent garage rather than a main dealer, particularly if you intend to keep the car as long as possible and aren't too worried about resale value?

Finally, would be the first time for me to have a car with run-flat tyres. I know they're more expensive, and believe they may have to be replaced more often. Roughly how often do you have to change them, and what's the approximate cost of a suitable new tyre? 17" wheels on the model I'm looking at.

Apologies if needed for asking for so many questions, or if they're in the wrong place.

Also occurs to me that I might be setting myself up for an answer along the lines of "if you have to ask, then you can't afford it, so don't buy in the first place!"

But either way, all help/advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all. Currently considering buying what would be my first BMW and hope it's okay to jump in here with a few questions rather than starting a new thread.

It's a 2015 316d SE model and it comes with the BMW Approved Used Cars guarantee.

Am trying to get a handle on what likely servicing/maintenance costs going forward might be, with or without the BMW First 20% discount. I know there are prices on the bmwservice.ie site but I'm confused as to what exactly you should have done and how often.

For example, it says all of these are recommended every 18,000 miles or 2 years from last oil service or inspection:
    Engine Oil Service - €158
    Engine Oil Service with Microfilter - €237
    Engine Oil Service with Microfilter, Air Filter and Fuel Filter - €427

Also has things like replace pollen filter (€92) but doesn't say how often?

Basically, if you want to keep things right, what's the approximate recommended schedule for getting everything done?

Also, is there an approximate age at which it'd be "okay" to use an independent garage rather than a main dealer, particularly if you intend to keep the car as long as possible and aren't too worried about resale value?

Finally, would be the first time for me to have a car with run-flat tyres. I know they're more expensive, and believe they may have to be replaced more often. Roughly how often do you have to change them, and what's the approximate cost of a suitable new tyre? 17" wheels on the model I'm looking at.

Apologies if needed for asking for so many questions, or if they're in the wrong place.

Also occurs to me that I might be setting myself up for an answer along the lines of "if you have to ask, then you can't afford it, so don't buy in the first place!"

But either way, all help/advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I bought my first BMW 12 months ago. 2015 3 series also.

Have replaced two tyres in the past 6 weeks, 150e a go. I have since learnt that it is possible to repair run flats in certain instances depending on the nature of the puncture.

I don't ever intend on having BMW to service the car. You are paying a premium and not even guaranteed the same quality of service. You will see from my post above the savings I made by going to a reputable mechanic who is well experienced with BMW's. On the day I visited there were 5 other BMW's parked up either pre or post service so he obviously has a reputation for doing a good job.

As long as you trust your mechanic then there is nothing to worry about.

Check the BMW Assured Used Car warranty small print if servicing @ a main dealer for the duration of the 2 year warranty period is a condition of the warranty terms. If you do decide to go down the independent route instead of main dealer then it will be harder to get good will from BMW around anything major. For warranty claims you will also need to provide evidence that manufacturer approved spec parts and fluids were used. Sometimes the short term savings of going cheaper independent instead of main dealer can work out more expensive in the long term if something expensive goes wrong.

I'd advise staying with main dealer for the duration of the 2 year warranty. You can be smart though, you don't need to get everything done at a main dealer, for example I'd get some consumables done by an independent such as brake pads, discs and fluid, etc but would get the main dealer to do the oil servicing, fuel filter, etc.

Thanks to you both for the replies. For what it's worth, reckon I'd stick with main dealer servicing for at least the two years of the approved used car guarantee. That's part of why I was wondering what exactly really has to be done and at what intervals. Or after all these years driving (approx. 30 so far), I might finally learn how to do some of the simpler things myself!

On another note, am obviously not a member of BMW First myself (yet, anyway), but even I can see that the change from a 20% discount on servicing to just 10% would really make you question its worth.

Will see how things go anyway. If I go ahead and buy this thing, I might be back here more often :)

Please read the entire thread, they have changed the terms of BMW First by reducing the benefits and increasing the subscription price.

Yup, have just been reading through it today, after finding this thread this morning. Which came after I spent much of last night reading up about BMW First for the first time, thinking about how well it could work with a 20% discount, and deciding it would probably be a no-brainer. Am having second thoughts about that aspect of the whole thing now.....!

They do free trial periods every now and then to new subscribers so wait until your car is due a service to sign up and then cancel after you have it serviced. I suspect with the increases in subscription prices and reduction in benefits that they will probably end it sooner rather than later though. It's probably costing them money.

It might be worth noting that although the cost is going up and the discount is going down, for €7.90 you'll be getting 10% off a service cost, so if the service was to cost €100 you'll be saving €10, covering the cost of the subscription. Personally, I think the way to go is when you know you'll be due a service and you know you'll be going to a main dealers for it, sign up for the free month (if it's still going) or pay the €7.90, book your service and the cancel it again.

The fact that they'll throw in free wipers should help out as well, I kept onto an old set of wipers and used to put them on when I was booked in for a service when I had the BMW first service, used to ask them to leave the old wipers in the boot, you can only get the wipers once a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Clareman wrote: »
    It might be worth noting that although the cost is going up and the discount is going down, for €7.90 you'll be getting 10% off a service cost, so if the service was to cost €100 you'll be saving €10, covering the cost of the subscription. Personally, I think the way to go is when you know you'll be due a service and you know you'll be going to a main dealers for it, sign up for the free month (if it's still going) or pay the €7.90, book your service and the cancel it again.

The fact that they'll throw in free wipers should help out as well, I kept onto an old set of wipers and used to put them on when I was booked in for a service when I had the BMW first service, used to ask them to leave the old wipers in the boot, you can only get the wipers once a year.

This is clever!

Advertisement