Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Tesco 5 litre (Ashbeck) mineral water bottles really tap water?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

To answer the OP's questions:

1. Is it tap water? No, absolutely not.
    2. Is it economical to sell it at this price? It doesn't matter.

Whatever is making the OP unwell, it's not the water

ok thanks for your opinion but are you not concerned why there would be chlorine in the water? surely that does matter? Or maybe it is normal for bottled mineral water to have chlorine in it... the matter of fact is I don't know and am hoping for someone else to educate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

regi3457 wrote: »
    ok thanks for your opinion but are you not concerned why there would be chlorine in the water? surely that does matter? Or maybe it is normal for bottled mineral water to have chlorine in it... the matter of fact is I don't know and am hoping for someone else to educate me.

It's not chlorine, it's chloride. I saw a post above which says "they're the same thing". They absolutely, 100% are not.

Basically, mineral and spring water comes from water filtering through rocks over a long period of time, the rocks act as a natural purification device.

And, of course, rocks are made up of minerals. Limestone is mainly made up of calcium carbonate, granite is mostly quartz, etc etc.

Now, some of these minerals dissolve in water, like calcium carbonate, while others do not, like quartz.

As the water passes through limestone, it dissolves tiny amounts of calcium carbonate (or whatever mineral is present) and this comes out with the water when it's collected. These minerals give water their taste.

Rocks will also contain chloride salts in smaller amounts, such as sodium chloride, magnesium chloride etc. Likewise, these will dissolve as the water passes through the rock and end up in the bottle.

It's completely normal, in fact if you had a natural water that was completely chloride free, I'd be confused as to how that happened. But the levels are very low, you'd get far more chloride out of a bag of crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What bit of several replies explaining that CHLORIDE, not chlorine, is in that water and is perfectly normal for natural water, with the amount dependent on the mineral composition of the source? You seem to constantly ignore this.

What bit of several replies explaining that CHLORIDE, not chlorine, is in that water and is perfectly normal for natural water, with the amount dependent on the mineral composition of the source? You seem to constantly ignore this.

CHLORINE is in the water and CHLORIDE

chloride is stipulated on the bottle but chlorine is not.

I checked for CHLORINE using CHLORINE STRIPS and there is CHLORINE in the water

It's not chlorine, it's chloride. I saw a post above which says "they're the same thing". They absolutely, 100% are not.

Basically, mineral and spring water comes from water filtering through rocks over a long period of time, the rocks act as a natural purification device.

And, of course, rocks are made up of minerals. Limestone is mainly made up of calcium carbonate, granite is mostly quartz, etc etc.

Now, some of these minerals dissolve in water, like calcium carbonate, while others do not, like quartz.

As the water passes through limestone, it dissolves tiny amounts of calcium carbonate (or whatever mineral is present) and this comes out with the water when it's collected. These minerals give water their taste.

Rocks will also contain chloride salts in smaller amounts, such as sodium chloride, magnesium chloride etc. Likewise, these will dissolve as the water passes through the rock and end up in the bottle.

It's completely normal, in fact if you had a natural water that was completely chloride free, I'd be confused as to how that happened. But the levels are very low, you'd get far more chloride out of a bag of crisps.

no it IS chlorine. Chlorine chlorine chlorine. My test strips measure chlorine not chloride

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

no it IS chlorine. Chlorine chlorine chlorine. My test strips measure chlorine not chloride

Calm down

I see. You've mentioned that there is 0.2 ppm chlorine according to your test strips. That is essentially zero and is nothing to worry about. It would be dwarfed by the amount of chloride in the water.

The water coming out of your tap has anywhere between 1 and 5 ppm chlorine in it.

CHLORINE is in the water and CHLORIDE

chloride is stipulated on the bottle but chlorine is not.

I checked for CHLORINE using CHLORINE STRIPS and there is CHLORINE in the water

Chlorine strips show positive for chloride as chloride is formed when chlorine gains an electron. But it is then chloride not chlorine.

Chlorine strips show positive for chloride as chloride is formed when chlorine gains an electron. But it is then chloride not chlorine.

Can you please point me to your source that says chlorine strips test positive for chloride? I was not able to find anything on the packaging of my chlorine strips or indeed on the internet that says the same

thanks

Can you please point me to your source that says chlorine strips test positive for chloride? I was not able to find anything on the packaging of my chlorine strips or indeed on the internet that says the same

thanks

Decades of scientific work! You just refuse to accept the fact. So, good luck with it. I'm out.

• Advertisement

Decades of scientific work! You just refuse to accept the fact. So, good luck with it. I'm out.

No, I think that you just don't like that I won't take your word for it. I think asking for a source or more info is reasonable since a lot of what people say is untrue on the internet.

thanks

What is the brand of test strips?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know somebody who drinks use the 5 litre bottles of water and they find the own branded ones in Tesco the best. Some of the other supermarke can be full of lime.

What is the brand of test strips?
    Sensafe Drinking Water Total Chlorine Test Kit (50 Test Strips) 480010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

A cursory googling shows that 4-5ppm is the advised upper limit for chlorine in drinking water. 2ppm seems to be the minimum for it to be of any use in controlling bacteria. Your 0.2ppm is a trace amount and nothing more. Don't waste any more of your life tilting at windmills.

Advertisement