Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid System. Stupid Country

Options
  • 13-05-2017 10:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭

So I had to sit the motorcycle theory test today. This involved first going to get passport type photos done. Not free of course. Then attend the test centre, complete the test, seperate fee for this too. Test complete its off to the opticians. Another form, another test, another fee. Then you have to attend a licence centre or whatever its called, again in a different location. Another form, another fee and they POST the licence out.All the while zig zagging across town to these stupid places.

What the actual f*ck like? Is there a more stupid, wasteful system in operation anywhere? Seems like the only goal being achieved here is letting as many sticky fingers as possible get a slice of the pie.

Next up is "mandatory" IBT 2 day course at €400 which of course is located a convenient €40 taxi fare away from the city centre with no public transport available.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Could you not drive to the course on the motorbike??

Congratulations on passing btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Sosurface wrote: »
    So I had to sit the motorcycle theory test today. This involved first going to get passport type photos done. Not free of course. Then attend the test centre, complete the test, seperate fee for this too. Test complete its off to the opticians. Another form, another test, another fee. Then you have to attend a licence centre or whatever its called, again in a different location. Another form, another fee and they POST the licence out.All the while zig zagging across town to these stupid places.

What the actual f*ck like? Is there a more stupid, wasteful system in operation anywhere? Seems like the only goal being achieved here is letting as many sticky fingers as possible get a slice of the pie.

Next up is "mandatory" IBT 2 day course at €400 which of course is located a convenient €40 taxi fare away from the city centre with no public transport available.

Yup, sounds about right....no joined up thinking. Imagine the time and money that could be saved if they sorted the likes of all this out......it's rife in public services, private sector can't afford to have customers doing this as they wouldn't have them very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So you decided to get a motorbike and expect it all to happen in a day..

.. well I suppose planning isn't a strong suit there is imagine.

Plan to do well in the ibt if you are this impatient with just getting a picture for a license and doing a theory test I suggest you listen clearly to the instructor's of the necessity for patience in a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Are you trying to suggest we have local district centers which do all these things under one roof?

Pass me what ever your smoking ya big fool ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

listermint wrote: »

Plan to do well in the ibt if you are this impatient with just getting a picture for a license and doing a theory test I suggest you listen clearly to the instructor's of the necessity for patience in a motorbike.

He/she has a point. You, not so much.

Half this country seems to be making a living from getting the other half to jump through hoops to get pieces of paper in order to make their own living. Boils my p155.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

368100 wrote: »
    Yup, sounds about right....no joined up thinking. Imagine the time and money that could be saved if they sorted the likes of all this out......it's rife in public services, private sector can't afford to have customers doing this as they wouldn't have them very long.

Have you been a customer of Sky, Virgin, Eir, Vodafone, 3, pretty much any other Telco, owned a car or bought a house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I work with a lot of Eastern Europeans and they tell me that they thought there was a lot of form filling under the old regime at home, but it pales in comparison to here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Could you not drive to the course on the motorbike??

Congratulations on passing btw :)

Yes. And indeed I will to be perfectly honest. BUT to follow the letter of the law, tgat is of course illegal.

listermint wrote: »

Yeah I know I mean imagine trying to fit testing booths, some simple opticians equipment, a front desk and a camera in the one building. Tis practically sci-fi sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Have you been a customer of Sky, Virgin, Eir, Vodafone, 3, pretty much any other Telco, owned a car or bought a house?

Yes....but you have alternatives to dealing with any of the above that are private sector. More often than not you've no alternative to public sector services.

What's owning a care or buying a house got to do with it? I've done both.

And I've been a customer of sky, Vodafone & 3. never filled out a paper form with them a sign up to services generally easy and efficient. It's the customer service once they have you that tends to be ****e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

There's plenty of IBT instructors accessible by public transport, some are even walking distance from the city centre!

Also, I hope you don't have a car license, because if you do and did your theory test before 2006, you didn't need to do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

Wait till you have to get the insurance. Another racket of do nothing leeching prats who in any other century would be "working" in a ditch committing highway robbery until they got caught and hanged

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Ireland's great. You shut up.

Pelvis wrote: »
    There's plenty of IBT instructors accessible by public transport, some are even walking distance from the city centre!

Also, I hope you don't have a car license, because if you do and did your theory test before 2006, you didn't need to do it again!

Not everyone in Ireland, indeed not everyone who lives somewhere with a city centre in Ireland(however relatively small), lives in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Beyondgone wrote: »
    He/she has a point. You, not so much.

Half this country seems to be making a living from getting the other half to jump through hoops to get pieces of paper in order to make their own living. Boils my p155.

I had to pay a tenner for one of those forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

I had to pay a tenner for one of those forms.

You got off cheap. Try getting Form BJ69 - they ride you altogether when you go in for one of them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Think of the number ofpeople that would be out of work if they were to do things simpler, more efficiently and cheaper. We couldn't have that. It's actually very typical of this country, if there is a more difficult costly way of doing something then that is the way it'll be done, every fcuking time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bring back the good ol days of simply filling out a form for a provisional, no theory test etc. Nice to have all te letters on back of licence

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You're undoing 50 years of television tropes by using DMV and 'saves time' in the same sentence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Next up is "mandatory" IBT 2 day course at ?400 which of course is located a convenient ?40 taxi fare away from the city centre with no public transport available.
    So how does all that make the country stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Think of the number ofpeople that would be out of work if they were to do things simpler, more efficiently and cheaper. We couldn't have that. It's actually very typical of this country, if there is a more difficult costly way of doing something then that is the way it'll be done, every fcuking time.

This is it in a nutshell.

Remember, every time someone points out some gobsmacking inefficiency or rip off in ireland, you need look no further for the cause than your friends, family and neighbours or indeed the mirror. We as a people indulge in a nod and a wink culture of jobs for the boys and vested interests. Inconvenience, inefficiency, waste and suffering are A-OK as long as I'm alright with my job for life and gold plated pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

We need standardised systems in this country, i.e. the same across the board for all nations in the e.u.
    Motoring, healthcare, insurance, taxation, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Yeah I know I mean imagine trying to fit testing booths, some simple opticians equipment, a front desk and a camera in the one building. Tis practically sci-fi sure.

I agree with everything except the optician's equipment.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So how does all that make the country stupid?

Case in point....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Nuh Nuh nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh
    Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh
    Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh
    Nuuuuuuuuh nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
    Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
    Nuuuuuuuuh nuuuuh nuuuuuuuuh
    Nuuuuuuuuh nuuuuuh nuuuh nuuh
    Nuh nuh nuh vrmp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Like everything else in Ireland the steps in the process are farmed out to the 'private sector'

Instead of the state providing the service

That's why the private sector in Ireland secretly loves the state system

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Why did you need to get passport photos? When I renewed my licence last year, the photo was taken there and then.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Why did you need to get passport photos? When I renewed my licence last year, the photo was taken there and then.
    I have no idea but it specifies it on the website and appointment confirmation email. They then took one of the photos and stuck with some tape to a card and laminated the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,528 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you don't like tue country or the system there are three legitimate options.
    Get elected and do something about it, move the **** away, or shut up with the moaning.

While we don't live in an ideal system Ireland is a great country where we enjoy great facilities and wonderful freedoms, public healthcare is good, education is good, and in general it's safe to go about your business.

Big swing, you had to make a few trips to get what you needed.

Hardly worth taking to the internet over it !!

Advertisement