Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active people increase

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

How about seeing cyclists as people like you in your metal box. You are a person too and believe it or not a cyclist is very unlikely to kill anyone but themselves. You have a few tonne weight that can plough through other people in your way. You have the ability to drive safely in order to ensure everyone is safer. Countless journeys are made by people on bicycles everyday without resulting in death or even minor injury.

There are people using all modes of transport. Just because people aren't using your preferred one does not mean you have any more rights on roads then them.

Nice to see that this thread is turning into the almost daily anti-people on bikes thread.

As for the roads built specifically for motors.....in Ireland we call them motorways . People on bikes, people on horses and people on foot aren't allowed on them. Most of the road network was based on old tracks and roads that were there before motorised vehicles.

It's the sunday morning cyclists two abreast, yakking away to each other, oblivious to people in their metal boxes trying to pass them safely that gets up my nose. So there, safety first!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

For all the bad things about social media, it's got people active - that pic of you climbing a mountain or running an iron man is a lot more interesting than you slumped over a bar stool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    What's the craic with all these people out jogging, running and cycling all of a sudden. Fair play and all but it's fcukin irritating having to avoid killing them on the roads. Then it's all plastered over facebook about whatever race they've competed in. Big pat on the back lads. Jez.

Only excercise I like is giving herself an aul lash of the sexy stick !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It's the sunday morning cyclists two abreast, yakking away to each other, oblivious to people in their metal boxes trying to pass them safely that gets up my nose. So there, safety first!

Have you considered that they do that to protect themselves from unsafe overtaking?

Credit to Moflojo for posting this image previously.415264.jpg

It's the walkers/joggers wearing headphones oblivious to their surroundings and other road users that annoy me! Apart from that, great to see so many taking exercise in our lovely green countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,981 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

greencap wrote: »
    If cycling was new it would be outlawed. A safety engineer wouldn't recommend it as being legal.
    You could say exactly the same about private motorised vehicles. Indeed when they were first introduced someone had to walk in front warning people with a red flag. Of course if some motorists were a little more careful everyone would be a lot safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Mostly I think it's the pressure to look good now. My Facebook is just full of people who are on diets, gym programmes, tanning, teeth whitening ect.. I actually think people are starting to develop a very unhealthy obsession with all of this exercising.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,981 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

carzony wrote: »
    Mostly I think it's the pressure to look good now. My Facebook is just full of people who are on diets, gym programmes, tanning, teeth whitening ect.. I actually think people are starting to develop a very unhealthy obsession with all of this exercising.
    So if someone offered you a pill that would allow you to lose a bit of weight, have a healthy outlook and prolong your life for a few years you would not be interested?

Beasty wrote: »
    So if someone offered you a pill that would allow you to lose a bit of weight, have a healthy outlook and prolong your life for a few years you would not be interested?

My point is that I think most of this is actually for show and not for health reasons as you stated. I also believe the constant pressure for people is a bigger incentive rather than being healthy.

If it was for the health benefits then fair enough but social media is driving this which is very sad.

My point is that I think most of this is actually for show and not for health reasons as you stated. I also believe the constant pressure for people is a bigger incentive rather than being healthy.

If it was for the health benefits then fair enough but social media is driving this which is very sad.

I'd think that social media is highlighting that people need more exercise. It is not driving anything to do with being more active. It's impossible to get someone to move when they don't want to.

• Advertisement

I'd think that social media is highlighting that people need more exercise. It is not driving anything to do with being more active. It's impossible to get someone to move when they don't want to.

Having people post every time they lift a weight is driving this and it's extremely common especially among young lads now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I actually think people are starting to develop a very unhealthy obsession with all of this exercising.
    I think it's great - someone who is out exploring the world, hanging off cliffs and cycling across a country is a more interesting and rounded person. I think younger people are investing more in experiences, and less in things, and good for them.

Having people post every time they lift a weight is driving this and it's extremely common especially among young lads now.

I'd love to see research behind it because people are inherently lazy. It takes more effort to get up and do something active than to sit watching TV. Maybe you are just friends with a certain type of person that annoys you on Facebook.

My experience is very much the contrary. There are certainly some people who wish to give the appearance of following a healthy lifestyle, and they may be the sort of individuals you are alluding to.

As a member of one of the larger cycling clubs in the Greater Dublin area, and observing the sort of activity discussed in various forums on this site I feel I have some experience of the uptake in certain activities over recent years. I know of many who have taken up cycling as a recreational activity to regain/maintain fitness. I know others who have gone a bit further and started doing training for triathlons. I know what it takes to do a 200km cycle in the Wicklow mountains. I know what it takes to do a 2+hour bike race.

The numbers now partaking in such activities has increased significantly over the past decade. These people are very committed to their physical activities/sports. Yes there is some drop-out, but that's typically as people move on with differing priorities (family commitments being a good example), but I am also seeing many, many people returning to these activities having taken a break for those sorts of reasons. Most actually continue to do these sports, possibly at a reduced level, but knowing the long term health benefits they bring (and I've had various tests in annual medicals over the years which are showing the improvements in my heart and lung capacity)

I've been noticing this for the last few years. Obesity is rarer now than during the 2000s too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    That's a very real possibility, minus the posting it on facebook part.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Beasty wrote: »
    It's OK - you don't really annoy me that much....

I took up cycling seriously on moving to Ireland 10 years ago. I was in my mid-late 40s, and heading rapidly towards diabetes. Numerous operations on my back over the previous 15 tears or so had led to a sedentary lifestyle and an ever-increasing girth.

I then lost nearly 40kg over a couple of years. I started my racing career at 49. I've participated in national, European and World Masters championships. I've had one or two setbacks, but I'm healthier now than at any other time in my adult life, and could well have added a decade or more to my life expectation.

I also use my car less, and as a result reduce traffic congestion for the rest of you....

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Being hungover isn't as ok as it used to be. A paracetamol and a glass of water did the job. Now hangovers are full of regret and self loathing.

Saying that, I would never EVER consider exercising on the weekend.

Advertisement