Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active people increase

Options
  • 13-05-2017 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

What's the craic with all these people out jogging, running and cycling all of a sudden. Fair play and all but it's fcukin irritating having to avoid killing them on the roads. Then it's all plastered over facebook about whatever race they've competed in. Big pat on the back lads. Jez.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

297.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Apart from the annoying cyclists, I think its great that people are being more active and getting fit. There aren't as many ladettes now either compared to 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Kill them and them post it on Facebook, that'll show them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I blame boards and the couch to 10k thread

Before that, nobody knew how to get off their ass and run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Active people... Increase
    Say it in Optimus Prime's voice
    Autobots... Transform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

longshanks wrote: »
    Active people... Increase
    Say it in Optimus Prime's voice
    Autobots... Transform
    I always preferred the decepticon. They were cooler and weren't goody goodies .

jamesbere wrote: »
    Kill them and them post it on Facebook, that'll show them
    That's a very real possibility, minus the posting it on facebook part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    What's the craic with all these people out jogging, running and cycling all of a sudden. Fair play and all but it's fcukin irritating having to avoid killing them on the roads. Then it's all plastered over facebook about whatever race they've competed in. Big pat on the back lads. Jez.

summer-time-21.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bluewizard

Its good to be active. Yes, it can be annoying sometimes when a person (thinking exactly what??) runs on a street having a perfect footpath next to them, but overall its fantastic. Activity, apart from obvious benefits to the body also helps to maintain better mood and prevent early stage of depression.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apart from annoying cyclists.
    It's OK - you don't really annoy me that much....

I took up cycling seriously on moving to Ireland 10 years ago. I was in my mid-late 40s, and heading rapidly towards diabetes. Numerous operations on my back over the previous 15 tears or so had led to a sedentary lifestyle and an ever-increasing girth.

I then lost nearly 40kg over a couple of years. I started my racing career at 49. I've participated in national, European and World Masters championships. I've had one or two setbacks, but I'm healthier now than at any other time in my adult life, and could well have added a decade or more to my life expectation.

I also use my car less, and as a result reduce traffic congestion for the rest of you....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

its all Aldi & Lidl's fault with their fortnightly sports promotions

when all i want to do is buy a six pack and a giant bag of crisps for the evening telly, they're tempting me with all this get-fit malarkey, the nerve of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bluewizard

Beasty wrote: »
    I took up cycling seriously.

I confess, as a driver I used to go mad about cyclists. I was soo bloody dumb, I admit with shame.

We are all people, the drivers, the cyclists, the pedestrians. We all want to get safely from A to B. We should see a human in others, not an anonymous "cyclist" or "a driver". We all have names, families and hobbies. Think about it next time you're about to snap on the road. Love more, hate less.

Apologies for the slight OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

begbysback wrote: »
    I blame boards and the couch to 10k thread

Before that, nobody knew how to get off their ass and run

What thread is that? I've gotten so fat I need to lose it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

What thread is that? I've gotten so fat I need to lose it.

Couch to 5K thread - was a huge support for me when I started running last year. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

While it's great to see so many getting active, it is an interesting change in our culture.

I drove up to a viewing point on a mountain local to me a few weeks back and a cycling event passed through. The amount of podgy, lycra clad, middle aged men heaving their considerable mass up the slope atop a spindly little bicycle was a sight to behold. I just thought what a change in Ireland. A generation ago all these guys would be spending their Sunday in the pub and the only exercise they'd be getting would be walking across to the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Agricola wrote: »
    While it's great to see so many getting active, it is an interesting change in our culture.

I drove up to a viewing point on a mountain local to me a few weeks back and a cycling event passed through. The amount of podgy, lycra clad, middle aged men heaving their considerable mass up the slope atop a spindly little bicycle was a sight to behold. I just thought what a change in Ireland. A generation ago all these guys would be spending their Sunday in the pub and the only exercise they'd be getting would be walking across to the bookies.
    Hardly a genration ago if they are how you describe them ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    summer-time-21.png
    Great Picture very Positive looks good.:):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Agricola wrote: »

The most important thing is that they're happy in their personal sport/hobby/leisure activity, even if it is on roads built for serious/business/infrastructure purposes.

Anyone who says different is a negative nelly.

greencap wrote: »
    The most important thing is that they're happy in their personal sport/hobby/leisure activity, even if it is on roads built for serious/business/infrastructure purposes.

Anyone who says different is a negative nelly.

:confused:
    Are they on motorways and railway lines or something?

Foot, horse (and cart) and pedal bikes were on the roads long before motorised vehicles came along.

It's great to see so many trying to improve their health. It saves the country a fortune in health costs. If everyone did a bit more exercise we would all benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A lot of people are doing non physical jobs sitting on their arses from nine to five every day so would need to do this

Why thank you. I agree with the OP from that thread too. I think that a lot of this stuff and the constant posts on facebook are a bit of attention seeking/craving validation from others.

I do my bit for charity anonymously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

There is Fantastic walks in Ireland like Curraghchase Forest Park Walks in co Limerick. Walking in very good for the mind and its free I have seen a lot more people walking in last few years. than before which is Great and healthy positive and its free.

:confused:
    Are they on motorways and railway lines or something?

Foot, horse (and cart) and pedal bikes were on the roads long before motorised vehicles came along.

And what.

Open sewers and widespread turf burning also came before the car.

And what.

Open sewers and widespread turf burning also came before the car.

And what? Roads aren't owned by people in motorised vehicles. It's great seeing people on foot and people on bikes use them to improve their health. It also sets a good example to children. They see that they can go outdoors rather than sit on their tablet or games console.

And what? Roads aren't owned by people in motorised vehicles. It's great seeing people on foot and people on bikes use them to improve their health. It also sets a good example to children. They see that they can go outdoors rather than sit on their tablet or games console.
    Many folks running on hard surfaces like roads are going to have serious problems with their joints in later life though, especially those that started late.

My main gripe isn't that people are exercising in the outdoors, although some cyclists can be very annoying, it's the fact that they need to share all this stuff on their news feeds and seem to be seeking approval from God knows who.

Its great til the news stories. Which, as per Darwin's law, are plentiful.

Anything on the footpath I'm all for. But I'm fairly confident that as the decades pass cycling on the roads* will go the way of smoking in pubs, or burning rubbish.
    It just makes no sense to prioritize sport over safety.

Why not road dancing. A fair comparison. Let's dance on the inside margin of busy roads.
    I mean dancing was around before cars.

*built specifically for motors, as this isn't 1732

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Many folks running on hard surfaces like roads are going to have serious problems with their joints in later life though, especially those that started late.

My main gripe isn't that people are exercising in the outdoors, although some cyclists can be very annoying, it's the fact that they need to share all this stuff on their news feeds and seem to be seeking approval from God knows who.

That can be easily resolved. Stop following them. I've done it for any friends that believe in psychics, pyramid false nutrition schemes etc. Alternatively you could go to the extreme and go off social media altogether.

Its great til the news stories. Which, as per Darwin's law, are plentiful.

Anything on the footpath I'm all for. But I'm fairly confident that as the decades pass cycling on the roads* will go the way of smoking in pubs, or burning rubbish.
    It just makes no sense to prioritize sport over safety.

Why not road dancing. A fair comparison. Let's dance on the inside margin of busy roads.
    I mean dancing was around before cars.

*built specifically for motors, as this isn't 1732

How about seeing cyclists as people like you in your metal box. You are a person too and believe it or not a cyclist is very unlikely to kill anyone but themselves. You have a few tonne weight that can plough through other people in your way. You have the ability to drive safely in order to ensure everyone is safer. Countless journeys are made by people on bicycles everyday without resulting in death or even minor injury.

There are people using all modes of transport. Just because people aren't using your preferred one does not mean you have any more rights on roads then them.

Nice to see that this thread is turning into the almost daily anti-people on bikes thread.

As for the roads built specifically for motors.....in Ireland we call them motorways . People on bikes, people on horses and people on foot aren't allowed on them. Most of the road network was based on old tracks and roads that were there before motorised vehicles.

• Advertisement

How about seeing cyclists as people like you in your metal box. You are a person too and believe it or not a cyclist is very unlikely to kill anyone but themselves. You have a few tonne weight that can plough through other people in your way. You have the ability to drive safely in order to ensure everyone is safer. Countless journeys are made by people on bicycles everyday without resulting in death or even minor injury.

There are people using all modes of transport. Just because people aren't using your preferred one does not mean you have any more rights on roads then them.

Nice to see that this thread is turning into the almost daily anti-people on bikes thread.

I do take care around cyclists.

However, on the few occasions that I use a bike myself, I'm very deferential because I know I'm the problem/obstacle, I'm using an infrastructure designed for something else.
    Most cyclists though are under the impression that because the law, because donkey carts, because whatever, that reality will adjust to them.
    Outside of personal disagreements its a dangerous and illogical practice.

If cycling was new it would be outlawed. A safety engineer wouldn't recommend it as being legal.

Advertisement