Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 in 10 men colour blind

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

5starpool wrote: »
    But how did you know they were weird when it was all the same to you? Did you say "that tree looks mad" or something?

I didnt know - my parents noticed and my teachers did. I was old enough to be picking the correct colours but i wasnt. i thought they were the right colours but they weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Parchment wrote: »
    I didnt know - my parents noticed and my teachers did. I was old enough to be picking the correct colours but i wasnt. i thought they were the right colours but they weren't.

I coloured a few skies purple in primary school and gave away plenty of fouls at snooker when I hit the brown thinking it was a red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Found out I was colour blind the other day. That one came right out the purple.

More of this please, people of AH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

But how did you know they were weird when it was all the same to you? Did you say "that tree looks mad" or something?

It's hard to explain.
    You can see the different colours you just can't identify some. If I have a colour
    on it's own I might think it's a colour that it's not. Yet if I saw that colour and the colour I thought it was together I'd see the difference even if I couldn't identify them properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

gramar wrote: »
    It's hard to explain.
    You can see the different colours you just can't identify some. If I have a colour
    on it's own I might think it's a colour that it's not. Yet if I saw that colour and the colour I thought it was together I'd see the difference even if I couldn't identify them properly.

Alot of colour blind people cant distinguish different shades of Green or Red or have never seen purple before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Levels of colour blindness vary. This explains it, but might not be available: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013c8tb
    Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Brown, Purple, Orange, Grey.
    Black, white, clear and pink (as in "no, I won't wear that pink shirt")?
    snowflaker wrote: »
    http://enchroma.com/test-150401.2/#test&ui-state=dialog

Took the test. Not colourblind- didnt think I was tbf
    I'm not sure how well an online test works for this as it will depend on monitor settings.
    How do colourblind people know they are colourblind? Red to them looks the same each time they see it. If they see it as brown for example, do they also see brown as brown, so think they are the same colour or is there something more to it?

Red and green are confused by certain people.

Blue and yellow are confused by others.

Some people can only see in grey-scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I am colour blind. Red and green mostly and i do have problems distinguishing between some shades of blue and purple. People giving me an impromptu "what colour is this" test when they find out are annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

We had sight tests at school and I was told I was 10% colour blind because I couldn't distinguish red from green and blue from purple in some of the test. Did the online test and turned out the same. Always have had arguments with my husband over colours too. He will say something is red and I'll see it as bright orange or I'll say somethings green and he'll look at me like I'm crazy. Annoyingly he took the test and got normal results so it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

gramar wrote: »
    It's hard to explain.

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Brown, Purple, Orange, Grey.

Other acceptable colour descriptions are any of the above, prefixed by Light, Dark, Very Light or Very Dark.

So, 40 colours in total.

I think 9 in 10 men are more than happy with 40 colours :D

Couldn't have said it better myself, you've put it in black and slipper satin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Blurryface

Not colourblind but still could make neither head nor tail of 50 shades of grey... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Given what a lot of them wear I'd have thought the proportion would have been higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Glenster wrote: »
    And men just get on with it.

There would be an ad every half an hour on the telly if the roles were reversed and a fleet of vans that drove around to every town in Ireland every month to screen for colour blindness.

If there were more colour-blind women than men? I doubt it. It'd be treated as 'just' a womens' issue even if it was medically debilitating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

If there were more colour-blind women than men? I doubt it. It'd be treated as 'just' a womens' issue even if it was medically debilitating.

I disagree,

You forever hear about women's complaints on the TV and in the media in general.

Osteoporosis, Thrush, Period Pains, Brest Cancer, urinary tract infections, bloating; its everywhere, and maybe it should be.

I happen to believe if 10% of women were colour blind it would be a well known fact, and there would be charities and awareness campaigns and legislation around it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Murrisk wrote: »
    My padre is partially colour-blind. He didn't realise it until he was learning to wire a plug in secondary school and did it all wrong.
    Stripes on the Earth Wire.
    Bright wire is live and Dark wire is neutral or something

Actually
    http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2012/01/06/plug-wiring-colour-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My brother is full colour blind. My dad was colour blind and I have a green/red deficiency.

Glenster wrote: »
    I disagree,

You forever hear about women's complaints on the TV and in the media in general.

Osteoporosis, Thrush, Period Pains, Brest Cancer, urinary tract infections, bloating; its everywhere, and maybe it should be.

I happen to believe if 10% of women were colour blind it would be a well known fact, and there would be charities and awareness campaigns and legislation around it.

Yes but they are mainly ads marketing products to treat some of those complaints, from companies who profit from them in the same way they profit from marketing Gillette razors to men. I just don't think it would be treated as seriously if it was another ''female complaint'' so to speak. Anyway I know I might be wrong, it's just an opinion. I don't want to drag this off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

snowflaker wrote: »
    http://enchroma.com/test-150401.2/#test&ui-state=dialog

Took the test. Not colourblind- didnt think I was tbf
    Mild Deutan

What is a deutan?
    Deutans are people with deuteranomaly, a type of red-green color blindness in which the green cones do not detect enough green and are too sensitive to yellows, oranges, and reds.

As a result, greens, yellows, oranges, reds, and browns may appear similar, especially in low light. It can also be difficult to tell the difference between blues and purples, or pinks and grays.

Well... there you go.. never came up before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I have terrible trouble distinguishing colours.
    Place something red on a green background and it more or less disappears.

I first found out after drawing a Santa Claus in school and the teacher asked why he was wearing a brown suit :)

It's a good thing traffic lights are always in the same order!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have trouble with reds/greens/browns

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The only time it ever bothers me is when Ireland play against a team in red and I haven't a clue what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Have come across 3 lads who were colour blind:

- The first had the green and red issue, but said it wasn't that severe
    - The second said his wife would label his shirt, ties and suits with numbers, all the 1s match up and can go with 2 at a push etc., we did wonder alright as he'd rock up to work when we travelled on business trips with some wacky combos. The labels having come loose in his bag.
    - Completely colourblind apparently, which explains the absolute mad stuff he wears

Advertisement