Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 in 10 men colour blind

Options
  • 12-05-2017 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

And 1 in 200 women

Is there many boardies who are colour-blind ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm not really. But what else could I respond with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

My padre is partially colour-blind. He didn't realise it until he was learning to wire a plug in secondary school and did it all wrong. He can see colours if they are very intense. And sometimes he sees a different colour to what it actually is. But he didn't know that he saw things differently to other people until the above incident, because he could see some colour.

I'm probably a carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is this based on credible research, or some batshit blogger wan having a kvetch because we in the International Society of Blokes refuse to recognise things like Magnolia, Peach and Autumn Azure as colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Apparently a lot of people go through life without ever discovering that they're colour blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I see red people...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

I am. I thought it was more like 1 in 7 or 8 men. And no I don't see everything in black and white (I was asked that by a woman once who would otherwise be very well educated).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I live in a joyless monochrome world of melancholy and tedium if that counts.

Not that it makes any difference in the end.

Fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Brown, Purple, Orange, Grey.

Other acceptable colour descriptions are any of the above, prefixed by Light, Dark, Very Light or Very Dark.

So, 40 colours in total.

I think 9 in 10 men are more than happy with 40 colours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

1 in 10 men are colour blind
    And 1 in 200 women

And men just get on with it.

There would be an ad every half an hour on the telly if the roles were reversed and a fleet of vans that drove around to every town in Ireland every month to screen for colour blindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

1 in 10 women taking fashion advice they really should not. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

And 1 in 200 women

A friend of sorts claims he's colourblind,he swore to god that he wasn't able to distinguish the difference between red lights and blue lights when one of the lads from home bumped into him unexpectedly late one night in Amsterdam.
    Unrelated,but while we're throwing statistics around,is there any foundation to the one that says one in ten men are gay?

Found out I was colour blind the other day. That one came right out of the purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Am colourblind, both my parents were but it hasn't been passed on to my kids.
    I lost out on a great job last year due to it. I thought I would be able to bluff my way through a medical (a friend had gone thru the med before me and gave me the answers to a different test) Apart from that it has only affected my life by people asking what colour stuff is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I thought it was a lot higher than one in ten.

I have trouble with reds/greens/browns, well, I don't, other people do. It doesn't cause me any problems whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bluewizard

9 out of 10 driving women are road markings/signs blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I've a mate who's colour deaf. If you say 'blue' he just looks at you confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Im a colourblind female. I made an opthamologists day once when i told him. He got all excited and asked me to do all the visual tests to confirm it.

Its pretty rare. My dad is colourblind too so i guess thats where it came from.

bluewizard wrote: »
    9 out of 10 driving women are road markings/signs blind.

9 out of 10 men make outdated jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Once worked in a tomato packing factory in Australia, they'd always put women working on the assembly line for sorting tomatoes due to this. (Red tomatoes would be gone off by the time they got to shops, green ones would be just ripe).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A friend of sorts claims he's colourblind,he swore to god that he wasn't able to distinguish the difference between red lights and blue lights when one of the lads from home bumped into him unexpectedly late one night in Amsterdam.
    Unrelated,but while we're throwing statistics around,is there any foundation to the one that says one in ten men are gay?

I think out of my mates, it's Stephen.

He's cute as ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I say I am colour blind.

Herself just says I'm **** at fashion..

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Found out in primary school that I was red/green colour blind. Like many others I have no problem with vibrant colours so I wouldn't have a problem with a fire engine and an army truck. It's when you start getting into shades that I have problems.

Real life limiting condition - military, police, medicine, aviation, electrician. So many things not open to colour blind people!!

Have read a bit about it and it's very rare among women. It's almost unheard of in Japan and guess what ............ it's most commonly found in Celtic men. Darn.

You wouldn't believe how thrilled I was when I found out my son had normal colour vision. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Pronto63 wrote: »
    You wouldn't believe how thrilled I was when I found out my son had normal colour vision. 😎

Tickled pink I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

jimgoose wrote: »
    Is this based on credible research, or some batshit blogger wan having a kvetch because we in the International Society of Blokes refuse to recognise things like Magnolia, Peach and Autumn Azure as colours?
    I thought it was a lot higher than one in ten.

I have trouble with reds/greens/browns, well, I don't, other people do. It doesn't cause me any problems whatsoever.

The HSE has it as follows

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/C/Colour-vision-deficiency/
    How common is colour vision deficiency?
    Colour vision deficiency affects approximately one in 12 men, and one in 100 women. In most cases, the condition is inherited, although colour vision deficiency can develop as a result of a pre-existing health condition, or as a side effect of a medicine.

US.gov had it at the numbers I stated

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am not colour blind.
    There are companies working on gene therapy solution to fix the genes in the eye that causes colour blindness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

http://enchroma.com/test-150401.2/#test&ui-state=dialog

Took the test. Not colourblind- didnt think I was tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

RobertKK wrote: »
    I am not colour blind.
    There are companies working on gene therapy solution to fix the genes in the eye that causes colour blindness.

EnChroma make special glasses to help people distinguish colours.

its pretty cool

Alot of people document their first time experiences using them on youtube

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How do colourblind people know they are colourblind? Red to them looks the same each time they see it. If they see it as brown for example, do they also see brown as brown, so think they are the same colour or is there something more to it?

5starpool wrote: »
    How do colourblind people know they are colourblind? Red to them looks the same each time they see it. If they see it as brown for example, do they also see brown as brown, so think they are the same colour or is there something more to it?

I used to colour things in weird colours when i was younger - like a tree would be in the wrong colours so then my parents got my eyes tested for colourblindness when i was getting a routine eye check.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Parchment wrote: »
    I used to colour things in weird colours when i was younger - like a tree would be in the wrong colours so then my parents got my eyes tested for colourblindness when i was getting a routine eye check.

But how did you know they were weird when it was all the same to you? Did you say "that tree looks mad" or something?

Advertisement