Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Most Useless Piece Of Modern Technology

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

https://youtu.be/WsnKzK6dX8Q

Driverless tech is there. Has been for years. Watch that link it's from 6 years ago on top gear.

Impressive stuff.

However over on the motors forum there is a chat and most people say they don't want one. Adoption rates will be low for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Re: Apple devices, a lot of people (like myself) have gotten lazy in their old age. We've invested in the ecosystem, and want something that integrates seamlessly with our other devices, has fewer security issues but a broad range of apps available, and doesn't require a lot of user effort. There's obviously a certain hype around Apple goods, but ultimately the bottom line is that they "just work" and that's worth a (hefty) premium to some people.

Re: the original topic, it has to be unnecessary IoT devices like internet-connected fridges and microwaves. Heating? Fine. I'd love to be able to warm up the house before I came home. Cooker? I feel like this is asking for trouble with my insurance company, but I can see the appeal. Washing machine? Now you're pushing it. Microwave? Dishwasher? Fridge?! Come on, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

DivingDuck wrote: »
    There's obviously a certain hype around Apple goods, but ultimately the bottom line is that they "just work" and that's worth a (hefty) premium to some.

I don't find apple easy to use at all. Daughter got an ipad mini at Xmas and it took half the day to set up.

This email is already in use. Password doesn't match. Username in use. Please try again. Password not strong enough. Password must contain letters, numbers and a capital letter.

A pain in the arse. Even the iPhone interface is poor. Stuff that was on Android last year or the year before is only coming to apple now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Self driving cars - No, just no. It's not the technology side which is what so many people can't get into their heads, that's there or will be there. It's adoption rates and the changes that are required in the law. Trams/Trains first, then as someone has pointed out farm equipment. The unofficial adoption in a niche market (Tesla et al). If I'm lucky it'll be there for when I'm too old to still be driving (a good 35 years) but I doubt it.

What people don't understand about the laws and insurance aspects is for all the development going on there is also an army of people working on those issues. The EU are working with the companies on recommendations and joint legal ideas for all members.
    It is weird how people think they are the only ones that have thought of the difficulties. If it is cost effective for companies and safer it will come in regardless of how people feel. They will eventually not allow humans drive in certain places like city centres. It isn't just the driving it is the complete traffic management that is the real goal. It will be faster to use AI drivers. A lot of congestion is down to poor driving such as not driving at a constant speed to keep going through green lights.
    The only question is time but costs will drop rapidly. Europe will probably be a much bigger problem than most due to the narrow erratic layouts so it might be just motorways in some places. One thing I wonder about is how pedestrians will behave if the know a car will stop if they just walk out. New laws about j-walking would have to come in it would have a whole different impact. It would be very easy to bring a city to a stand still with very few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

mfceiling wrote: »
    I don't find apple easy to use at all. Daughter got an ipad mini at Xmas and it took half the day to set up.

This email is already in use. Password doesn't match. Username in use. Please try again. Password not strong enough. Password must contain letters, numbers and a capital letter.

A pain in the arse. Even the iPhone interface is poor. Stuff that was on Android last year or the year before is only coming to apple now.

The point about tech being available on Android before Apple is well-made (RFID, etc.), but it's hardly Apple's fault you'd already registered your email with them or have weak passwording preferences.

• Advertisement

A lot of the bluetooth stereo systems are rubbish and will be outdated within a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

DivingDuck wrote: »
    The point about tech being available on Android before Apple is well-made (RFID, etc.), but it's hardly Apple's fault you'd already registered your email with them or have weak passwording preferences.

Compared to setting up an android device it's a pain in the hole. Wife's mother got a new iPhone on Friday past and the amount of nonsense to put in to get it to work is ridiculous. Android interface is cleaner and much easier to use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

grahambo wrote: »
    Even with bulk production there are limits to how cheap something can be made for.

Mobile phones are a perfect example.
    The latest Iphone (32GB) is the guts of 700 euro. (that's not cheap)

The tech that's in phones across the board is basically the same.
    RAM, CPU, storage, touch screen and Antenna.

If you want a decent new phone (SIM free) it's still gonna cost you a fair whack despite the components that are in them are, without a doubt, the most widely produced components on the earth.
    Yesterday I picked up a brand new dual sim phone for a tenner. Amazon were doing the Fire 7 for about €40 not so long ago. RAM and CPU's haven't been getting better value in a long time.

IIRC based on the components used and labour costs in China Apple products typically had a 100% markup.

I'd nominate Intels last few generations of laptop CPUs as useless. They are only marginally faster than previous ones, yes they use less power, but laptop makers have just cheaped out with smaller batteries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jamesbere wrote: »
    The chocolate teapot is hugely disappointing aswell
    http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2012/01/06/plug-wiring-colour-scheme/
    The result was a hand-crafted, working receptacle made of dark chocolate containing 65% cocoa solids.

When put to the test the teapot survived, albeit pouring tea with a "hint of chocolate".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Nabber wrote: »
    The Irish e-voting machines.

iPods- just buy an iPhone instead?
    I see your point however the iPod did predate the iPhone. I had a gen 2 iPod....with buttons and a scroll wheel, I missed it when it died as it very retro in 2013!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Tenger wrote: »
    I see your point however the iPod did predate the iPhone. I had a gen 2 iPod....with buttons and a scroll wheel, I missed it when it died as it very retro in 2013!

Still use my iPod classic almost daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

The Internet.

With your "Bebo" this, and "MySpace" that...

The whole thing's a fad, it'll never take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

To back up my iot point... (in other words I just found this today and wanted to post it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Fidget Spinners

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

mfceiling wrote: »
    Compared to setting up an android device it's a pain in the hole. Wife's mother got a new iPhone on Friday past and the amount of nonsense to put in to get it to work is ridiculous. Android interface is cleaner and much easier to use.

On top of that, my biggest gripe with Apple devices is they only have one button, which takes you back to the main menu. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Fidget Spinners

Actually the original reason for them and other fidget devices is very good. It's for people with adhd and on the autism spectrum to be able to be more comfortable when they feel under pressure. As for the craze, sure what harm.

Advertisement