Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishment as a child

Options
  • 07-05-2017 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭

How were you punished when you done something wrong as kids? I used get the odd slap off the father/mother for various offences.

I've three kids myself and no treats/grounded seems to work for them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

What would you be threatening/grounding them over?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    What would you be threatening/grounding them over?

Who said threatening? I said no treats as in sweets

gifted wrote: »
    Who said threatening? I said no treats as in sweets

What would you be grounding them for then?

Why do you want to know for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

We were always told we'd be sent to the sunshine house where all the bold children went

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Chased with a wooden spoon, or a wet dish cloth. The thoughts of the punishment were worse than the actual contact.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Mostly slaps, cane etc.

What do you want? A comprehensive list of the child's misdemeanours? :confused:

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Chased with a wooden spoon, or a wet dish cloth. The thoughts of the punishment were worse than the actual contact.
    Forgot about the wooden spoon lol lol...just wait until your dad comes home is another one I just remembered lol lol...jesus the waiting...

Peregrine wrote: »
    Mostly slaps, cane etc.

What do you want? A comprehensive list of the child's misdemeanours? :confused:

No, but if they're over reacting to every little thing, the kids will get used to the constant nagging and pay no attention

No, but if they're over reacting to every little thing, the kids will get used to the constant nagging and pay no attention

Who said there getting constant nagging??
    Did you read my question?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think you misread. He said no treats and grounding works.

Why do you want to know for?

Three kids that no amount of grounding will help, you're the common denominator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Wooden spoon in our house. There was the threat of the belt but that was never carried out.
    Even now though, when I go off the rails I fear getting a smack of a wooden spoon.

Wtf?

Peregrine wrote: »
    I think you misread. He said no treats and grounding works.

Maybe i am. I read it as no amount of grounding works, ie, tried that and no joy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Maybe i am. I read it as no amount of grounding works, ie, tried that and no joy?

You definitely are misreading. Or taking the piss.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bamboo stick, stored over the fridge. I got many a wallop with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Soft cushions

Wtf?

I may, MAY! have completely misinterpreted your op.

Apologies!

Winterlong wrote: »
    You definitely are misreading. Or taking the piss.

No, not taking the piss, just brain farted my way through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I got the aul wooden spoon once or twice but usually it was something taken away like tv or games console and sent to my room.

Have never had to discipline my son, if he does something wrong I tell him to stop and he usually does with no issue. Something I was told recently which makes complete and obvious sense is to explain to the child why what they're doing is wrong. It's not enough to just tell them it's wrong, help them to understand why it's wrong.

Hitting or slapping will never be a tool I use to discipline. "Don't hit other kids!" *smack* yeah, thatll teach him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

waterboarding leaves no visible marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,261 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, you're misreading him. Re-read the OP more carefully. He disciplined his children with a combination of (a) withholding of treats that would otherwise have been given, and (b) grounding, and he found that this strategy worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Slaps, wooden spoon, belt. I got battered. Didn't improve my behaviour at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Naughty step. Not brought fun places on Sundays (that was our day for cinema swimming play centres etc) toys taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You misread the post again!

You misread the post again!

I got there in the end though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I got there in the end though :)

Good, because I was about to threaten you with the wooden spoon!

That's what I got - it never actually got used as far as I remember, but the threat was always there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

"I'll break your neck if you fall down that stairs!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

How were you punished when you done something wrong as kids?

My mother suffered/suffers very badly with her mental health and my father was/is an alcoholic so we got thumped around the place, the non-physical stuff was worse though, to be honest. My mother was always the one dishing out the punishment, my father never laid a hand on us, he used to wreck the house though.
    Wooden spoon - to the point of it breaking. I couldn't count how many wooden spoons were brought into our house. When it broke it was a curse and a blessing, a curse because you'd be after getting a severe walloping for it to break and a blessing because you knew it would be at least a week before another one would be bought.
    Wavin pipe (leftover from work on the house) - this was so fúcking painful.
    And a whole host of various random objects that were within reach when the punishment for the perceived offence was being dished out. The perceived offence could be laughing at a tv show, coming home from school and waking up my mother (she spent a considerable amount of time in bed), burning your dinner (because I was 7 and surprisingly didn't know how to cook), etc.

We used to take turns hiding the weapons but then you'd get thumped for hiding them.
    I used to go to school with welts and bruises all over me all the time. It used to be so embarrassing in PE, however, nobody gave a shíte about this sort of thing back then.

(Oh and we were never given nice things that could be taken away if we were "bold" and we were never brought nice places that we could be prevented from going to if we were "bold". I was 8 the last time I got a card or present for birthday or Christmas.)

Advertisement