Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to pay for an iPhone 6s monthly?

Options
  • 01-05-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

So I really want to purchase the iPhone 6s but checked Three. IE and in total I would end up paying 1,440euro... Are you kidding?. A little bit of searching around brought me to id Mobile and I saw they have them for 900 spread over 24 months and that price I can do. But I see a lot of talk about people not getting the plan because of credit checks and I was 18 and I've not been with AIB for long, maybe a month and I wouldn't have good credit since I only put money in there sometimes so would I even get the plan seeing as I haven't had an account for long? What should I do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you including the cost of the call plan in your figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DylMan99

Yes i am. I should've mentioned that

Well my phone broke so i kind of need something now :/

• Advertisement

Well i managed to find a plan for 45 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need to make sure the plan you're looking at will actually give you enough calls/data etc.

Yeah i like what i see but im more worried about the fact that i havent had a credit card longer than a month and they might not give me the plan or not because of that.

No, i am not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

DylMan99 wrote: »
    No, i am not.

Buying a top end phone on a credit plan and not working?
    I think you should reappraise your options, for your own good.
    Feck up on this and your credit history would only get worse.

Well at the minute I'm on Jobseekers allowance and that would be my way of paying for it.

It isn't looking good but I'm not sure how to look at it. Will they see me and say, "well he hasn't had any loans that he didn't pay back" or "He only made this bank account so we can't give him a plan without any history". I have put a little bit of money into my account, although it wasn't much.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Credit history here isnt like it is in the states. You dont have to "build up" a clean record.

That said, as an unemployed 18yo you're quite likely not to pass credit control. Very high chance of default.

Taking the young rate of JSA you want to spend 12% of your income on a phone. Nuts. Get a MotoG or similar until you find work.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The don't look at your bank account, it's not a credit check like if you're applying for a loan. They'll have no idea if you've got any debts etc, they won't ask that. They won't even look at bank statements or anything like that, all they'll ask is how long you're with the bank.

What they do is called a credit score. Basically they'll ask you questions, and each answer you give will equal more 'points' on the score. That'll determine if they will allow you to sign up for a bill-pay phone or not.

Things that are 'good' for a credit score are stuff like: home owner, married (for some reason), employed longer than 1 year, with bank longer than one year etc

So an 18 year old on jobseekers allowance who has only had a bank account for a month will not score well. If you score low enough, they can decline to offer you bill-pay services. Sometimes they'll want an advance payment if your 'score' is low, but not low enough that they decline you. If they agree to give you a bill pay account, they'll probably look for a large upfront payment - like €500+ in some cases.

To give you an example, I'm with Vodafone and when I was setting up my bill I had to pay €150 upfront when I got my phone because I'm a housewife and that's 'unemployed' so that lowered my credit score. My husband is employed so he got his phone for free and no upfront payments. All our other answers were the same. The €150 was credited to my account, so basically my first €150 worth of bills were covered - I was on the €40 per month plan, so my bills for the first 3 months were paid out of that, then the 4th month I only had to pay a tenner, then the €150 was gone, and I just paid the direct debit as normal afterwards.

It shouldn't really matter though, I mean if i do or do not have a job, as long as i can pay the monthly bill there really shouldn't be a problem. At least that's how i see it..

You seem to know what you're talking about so what would you advise me to do? Maybe get a family relative to do it for me?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It shouldn't really matter though, I mean if i do or do not have a job, as long as i can pay the monthly bill there really shouldn't be a problem. At least that's how i see it..
    Well looking at it from their point of view, they're handing over a phone that costs €650+ and if you walk away without paying a bill, they're down that amount. If you're on the lower JSA (100 PW) as ED E said, you're paying 12% of your income on a phone bill.

I assume you're not going to insure the iPhone, so what would you do if you broke it in 6 months time? You'll be down a handset, and still liable for the remaining 18 months of a contract.
    You seem to know what you're talking about so what would you advise me to do? Maybe get a family relative to do it for me?
    TBH, the sensible thing I'd be recommending you do is look at getting a cheaper phone that you can afford to buy on pre-pay and do it that way. If you're dead set on an iPhone 6s, you could ask a parent to take it out in their name. They (your parents/relative) may not want to, and depending on their circumstances, there's no guarantee they'd score well enough to get the phone without an upfront payment.

There is no way for me to walk away with a phone really, is there? I have no problem paying 45 a month for a phone since I have been wanting this for a long time now. My parents have had trouble paying loans back in the past, so I don't think they would have a good enough score to set up the deal either. I am sort of set on getting this phone and it would be a bummer to not be able to get it, but if there's nothing I can do then there's nothing I can do.

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with loans, it's judged on the credit score system I explained above. Bank related debts will have no bearing on the credit score at all. You could be up to your eyeballs in loans and arrears on your mortgage and still pass a credit score.

If your parents defaulted on the likes of bills or store finance agreements that may show to the phone company but I'm not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

There is no way for me to walk away with a phone really, is there? I have no problem paying 45 a month for a phone since I have been wanting this for a long time now. My parents have had trouble paying loans back in the past, so I don't think they would have a good enough score to set up the deal either. I am sort of set on getting this phone and it would be a bummer to not be able to get it, but if there's nothing I can do then there's nothing I can do.

They'll ask straight up if your working and how long

You say no and you can be 100% sure you are not getting a phone

It's not us you need to convince, it will be computer says no, it's that black and white

Not trying to dash your hopes, just explaining how it works as someone who has been on bill pay and has been through a few credit applications etc

So even though they failed to pay the loans back in time years ago they could possibly get the plan?

So even though they failed to pay the loans back in time years ago they could possibly get the plan?

Your family? I defaulted with meteor a long time back (stupidly)

I went back several years later and was the original phone number so they knew it was me etc ... meteor still gave me 2 x 24 month contracts

After 48 months of paying €50 a month the novelty of having an iPhone wore off, trust me

Now I don't have a bill because of work but trust me there are WAY better deals on prepay if you can buy your own phone

Possibly.... you wouldn't know for sure unless they applied.

Look the thing is though if for some reason your dole gets stopped etc and you suddenly have no income they'll be liable for the bill. I'm assuming you'll be signing up for a 24 month plan?

I know there is a big difference from a Job and JSA, but being on JSA is still a way for me to pay monthly?.. I guess i just assumed they would accept me to be on the plan with some sort of income.

Yes, but i also have a bit of money stored away so if i am for whatever reason, no longer on the JSA i should be able to keep paying. Then again it isn't enough money to buy the phone upfront.

Also remember 24 months for an 18 year old is a long time

You're still liable for the bill even if you want to up sticks and head to oz, US, Canada etc

I understand all of that. I have been on the fence about buying this for a while and I've decided to go ahead with it. Not realizing i would have this many problems, but i decided to make a post on here just to see if it would be possible to get this plan.

• Advertisement

I know there is a big difference from a Job and JSA, but being on JSA is still a way for me to pay monthly?.. I guess i just assumed they would accept me to be on the plan with some sort of income.

As far as accessing credit is concerned JSA doesn't count.

Your parents may be accepted for a bill pay plan, but could be asked to make a payment of several hundred Euro upfront.

Would you not be better off trying to save up a bit more for a few months and get one on pre pay? Even get a cheapo phone to tide you over now.

Advertisement