Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential new Dublin Bus routes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

omicron wrote: »
    An m50 service, from Bray to the airport, with stops at major junctions linking up with other services. Preferably with hard shoulder running allowed when the m50 grinds to a halt.
    Plenty of trip generators given the amount of development around the m50.

Maybe not apporiate for DB to run but certainly possible for a private operator perhaps Dublin Coach could provide a service to compete with the Aircoach and add to their Dundrum service.

I personally dont use the services of either of the two as I find Quick Park to be handier and better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Liffey Valley to Dundrum via Ballyfermot (or maybe N4 to Chapelizod), then the R112 along Kylemore Rd (Luas Red Line), Walkinstown Roundabout, Templeogue Rd Junction and Dundrum (Luas Green line) and possibly extended to either Belfield or Booterstown DART. The route could either take Breamor Rd or a slight detour to serve Rathfarnham and Nutgrove.

I'm seeing Liffey Valley & Dundrum in a lot of suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

loyatemu wrote: »
    a service linking Greystones/Bray to Dundrum might be popular with teenagers going to the cinema or just to hang out at "the mall". Bus+Luas is not practical at the moment because the 84 is so infrequent and the 145 doesn't serve the Luas stop.

Also I predict that the new network will become mired in local political issues, and eventually be totally ruined by compromises. You heard it here first! (or possibly you heard it previously during "Network Direct")

They'll have a special team of professionals dedicated to sell this and more. Its' very different to anything we've seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

Not a new route obviously but I've often thought that extending the 123 up to Limekiln Avenue could work. Space constraints up there might put the kibosh on it though, it can get quite crowded at times as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Im confused reading this thread are changes actually being made to the network or is this just another crayons theard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Im confused reading this thread are changes actually being made to the network or is this just another crayons theard.
    There is a full network review by transport consultants Jarrett Walker commissioned by the NTA to go to consultation later in the year, with implementation in 2018.

Right now - people are just expressing their own opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Would love if they added a few more services to the 51D as well. Great not having to use the god awful M50 traffic merging into bus lane Naas Road, and zero bus priority Bluebell and Inchicore like the other Clondalkin (13/69/68) routes do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

A route to Ballymount industrial estate from Terenure/Harolds Cross.
    I know the 9 goes near but a route into the industrial estate would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

lxflyer wrote: »
    Part of the problem that many people don't get is that for most orbital routes there would not be enough people travelling end-to end to justify them.

Why would they need to travel end to end. The fare is nearly a flat fare regardless of distance at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

There is a full network review by transport consultants Jarrett Walker commissioned by the NTA to go to consultation later in the year....

...results published in 2018. Political interference mid 2018 a compromise set of routes which will completely miss the point going live in late 2018

• Advertisement

Why would they need to travel end to end. The fare is nearly a flat fare regardless of distance at this stage?

It's nothing to do with the fare - it's the design of the route.

People to think in terms solely of their commute when thinking of orbital routes, and ignore the likely fact that their personal commute could be fairly unique.

In order to generate backsides on seats all day orbital routes will often take detours from the most direct route from A to B to serve traffic generators along the route.

That's the only way that they are usually viable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Would love if they added a few more services to the 51D as well. Great not having to use the god awful M50 traffic merging into bus lane Naas Road, and zero bus priority Bluebell and Inchicore like the other Clondalkin (13/69/68) routes do.

The 51D has some weird timetables as well. Only the 2nd and 3rd arrive in the CC close to 9am, the first bus is in no-mans land at 8:20 in the CC, its always fairly empty too. I only take the 51D out to Clondalkin because of that, the evening timetables makes more sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Broombridge to Ballycoolin and associated areas.

It's an obvious one connecting the end of the Luas line & maynooth train line to a major centre of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

A route to Ballymount industrial estate from Terenure/Harolds Cross.
    I know the 9 goes near but a route into the industrial estate would be good

Existing Ballymount industrial estate buses are always empty. 56a for example. Loss making route as is I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

john boye wrote: »
    Not a new route obviously but I've often thought that extending the 123 up to Limekiln Avenue could work. Space constraints up there might put the kibosh on it though, it can get quite crowded at times as it is.

I believe a submission to DB was made last month by SDCC Councillors for a less frequent 123A bus service that would do just that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Existing Ballymount industrial estate buses are always empty. 56a for example. Loss making route as is I would think.

It's probably because it's not going through a catchment area where people want to get in from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

It's probably because it's not going through a catchment area where people want to get in from.

Maybe.

Maybe its worth researching. Where would you consider most people who work in Ballymount live?

Maybe.

Maybe its worth researching. Where would you consider most people who work in Ballymount live?

Well therein lies your second problem in planning for orbital bus routes.

With most industrial estates and business parks you'll find that employees' homes are scattered in all directions making it extremely difficult to plan public transport that would maximise use.

All you can do is provide public transport along the main arterial orbital routes.

Is much easier to plan radial routes in and out of the city centre as there are always major traffic flows along them.

The 51D has some weird timetables as well. Only the 2nd and 3rd arrive in the CC close to 9am, the first bus is in no-mans land at 8:20 in the CC, its always fairly empty too. I only take the 51D out to Clondalkin because of that, the evening timetables makes more sense to me.

08:20 would cover anyone starting at 08:30 or further along the route starting later.

Many people start their working day before 09:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

mortimer33 wrote: »
    I believe a submission to DB was made last month by SDCC Councillors for a less frequent 123A bus service that would do just that.

Interesting, thanks for that. Like I said, I do wonder if the terminus could handle more traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

Well therein lies your second problem in planning for orbital bus routes.

With most industrial estates and business parks you'll find that employees' homes are scattered in all directions making it extremely difficult to plan public transport that would maximise use.

All you can do is provide public transport along the main arterial orbital routes.

Is much easier to plan radial routes in and out of the city centre as there are always major traffic flows along them.

There seems to be plenty of parking spaces available for people who work in Ballymount. It's also very easy to access via car. I can't see how public transport there would be feasible.

Advertisement