Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youre homeless tomorrow

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Speaking of prison as a home, I remember my dad telling me about a friend of his who was down the country and had ended up without a place to stay for the night, it was in the middle of winter with driving rain and he dropped into the garda station and asked to sleep in the cells. They refused him.

He went out and picked up a bin and threw it through the window of the station and got himself arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

erica74 wrote: »
    I own my own house outright so I'll be honest I'd find it near impossible to become homeless. However, if I didn't have this security, I don't really have anyone I could rely on so I'd be fucked if I became homeless.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

gifted wrote: »
    Apologies, should have worded that a bit better....

Many apologies for getting all exclamation pointy on you!!! I was referring to my situation, not your post, am sorry my post looked as if I was attacking you. I appreciated reading your perspective, just meant to be adding to it, not destroying your opinion (and I did a bad job communicating that, very sorry). Homelessness makes either sex vulnerable at any age, I certainly understand (and agree) with your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I wouldn't tell any of my friends or external family. It would be ****ty to guilty trip them into putting me up. I wouldn't appreciate if they did it to me.

I find this very sad Richard. Friends and family are there to help you out of tough times. It's so odd that you would rather someone close to you be on the street than "guilt tripping" you into helping.

I would be heartbroken if any of my friends or family were living on the streets when I have spare rooms in my house.

My Dad worked for Simon for years. I know the horror stories and the sheer fear that people live in. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone but I appreciate how easily it can happen. While I knew there were folk out there who were very proud and afraid to ask for help (my uncle died on the streets despite my family's best efforts). It comes as a bit of a shock that there are people that wouldn't be happy to help their friends and family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I slept on the streets of london once. Woke up with a really sore jaw from where I had been shivering. It was June.

I think I would be brutal at been homeless. Have a safety net just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Tigger wrote: »
    It's different if you don't like the cock

You're in prison now: Go hard or go h... it is your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

I'd fly to Greece and check into a refugee camp by impersonating myself as a 15 year old Syrian. Straight to the top of the Irish housing list after at most a 3 month wait.

My biggest fear would be that they would find out I am an Irish taxpayer, as were my parents and grandparents before me, and therefore I am actually entitled to **** all off the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It comes as a bit of a shock that there are people that wouldn't be happy to help their friends and family.

I'd say if drugs/alcohol are a significant factor family could be hard to talk round at times, bringing a problem inside a stable house is a big decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'd fly to Greece and check into a refugee camp by impersonating myself as a 15 year old Syrian. Straight to the top of the Irish housing list after at most a 3 month wait.

My biggest fear would be that they would find out I am an Irish taxpayer, as were my parents and grandparents before me, and therefore I am actually entitled to **** all off the state.

Yeah, lucky Syrians and their civil war.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I'm incredibly lucky in that it wouldn't happen to me. If, touch wood, my house burned down in the morning, I would have a ton of options of where to stay.

I'm the same

• Advertisement

Yeah, lucky Syrians and their civil war.

I've every sympathy for their war situation, but it boils my piss when I see utter spoofers like SF and the PBP talking about housing lists and not one of them is prepared to take a stand against what is nothing less than racial discrimination in allocation of public housing. Done only because certain FG politicians want a job in Brussels once their terms end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

It'd never happen to me thank god. My parents door is always open for me with no questions asked. Only realised in the last couple of years how lucky I am to have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Loads of options. In laws in the town where we live. My husband has a big family who wouldn't see us out on the streets. If that failed we could move back To my hometown and move in with my parents, grandparents or siblings. In other words we have a huge safety net with our families.

There's been a drop off in the click bait Indo "single mother of 5 living in a tent in the park says she's facing winter on the streets " type stories because eventually everyone accepts that no Irish granny/auntie is going to jump into bed while their kin are sleeping in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was homeless for a short period of time.

I foolishly went to London thinking I'd find a place but I didn't (didn't even do my homework on how to go about it) and I spent a few nights sleeping outside Euston Station.

I say "sleeping", I barely slept. I was absolutely terrified and spent most of the night awake.

Then I spent a few weeks in a tent in a field in Wicklow with my other half (it's too long a story to go into, plus I'm aware that if I delve too much into it, I could become identifiable, so I'll say no more).
    It was soul-destroying and scary.

I've had a troubled life in parts but I'm settled now in yes, a council home, with my partner, I work and my heart goes out to homeless people.

I often donate meals and clothes to the homeless charities who set up tables in town and I volunteer when needed.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have a roof over my head.

I also feel I have my head screwed on more now; if I was to end up homeless tomorrow, I know my parents would take me in.
    If they weren't an option, I suppose I'd go to the council and ask for help.

But like I said, I know I am very lucky to have a home and I don't take it for granted. Not for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

not one of them is prepared to take a stand against what is nothing less than racial discrimination in allocation of public housing.

What has the Romans State ever done for you, eh? :rolleyes:

I firmly believe the state does not owe you or anyone a home. The state should be tasked with providing you with an education, assistance to get a job and social welfare if you cannot.

If you are unlucky/incapable of providing shelter for you or your family the state should provide rented accommodation with deductions from salary or social welfare.

The State should also live up to its international commitments to provide shelter for genuine refugees and deport economic migrants.

I don't see any racial discrimination in the state processing refugees.

As for the OP... I don't think I'd cope very well, assuming (for whatever reason) I couldn't stay with family. But while pride would be a bitch to get over I think I'd eventually resort to a government agency for help.

Thankfully it would be very hard to envision a scenario where it could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Spent a week homeless per se by choice last year as an educational life experience. Had an emergency brick phone on hand but never once needed it. Really enlightening week and will probably do it again in the future.

infogiver wrote: »
    There's been a drop off in the click bait Indo "single mother of 5 living in a tent in the park says she's facing winter on the streets " type stories because eventually everyone accepts that no Irish granny/auntie is going to jump into bed while their kin are sleeping in the park.

Is it just me or does nearly every one of these stories have a mention that at least one of the children has autism? It just seems too often to be coincidental- is there money/ advantage to trying to spoof a psychologist into chalking down an autism diagnosis these days?

I don't see any racial discrimination in the state processing refugees.

The state has agreed with the EU to house refugees in permanent accommodation within three months of arrival. It would be impossible for an Irish family to source housing from a LA within 3 months of applying.

Contrary to some people's claims, the EU does not pay for the housing, the Irish taxpayer does. The UN possibly pays for refugees to be housed in Ireland under a different program, but this is an EU scheme.

The state has agreed with the EU to house refugees in permanent accommodation within three months of arrival. It would be impossible for an Irish family to source housing from a LA within 3 months of applying.

Contrary to some people's claims, the EU does not pay for the housing, the Irish taxpayer does. The UN possibly pays for refugees to be housed in Ireland under a different program, but this is an EU scheme.

So, you understand it's got NOTHING to do with race?

• Advertisement

Burial. wrote: »
    Spent a week homeless per se by choice last year as an educational life experience. Had an emergency brick phone on hand but never once needed it. Really enlightening week and will probably do it again in the future.

What did you do to feed yourself? Did you have savings or did you beg/busk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

What did you do to feed yourself? Did you have savings or did you beg/busk?

Ate from shelter offerings and from random donations but one goal of mine before entering it was to do without food as long as possible so I didn't eat a lot anyway. Had no money on me just a brick phone. Couldn't find it in me to beg for money, even accepting food was tough going and I made sure to donate my own money and time when I returned to normal life.

Is it just me or does nearly every one of these stories have a mention that at least one of the children has autism? It just seems too often to be coincidental- is there money/ advantage to trying to spoof a psychologist into chalking down an autism diagnosis these days?

There's DCA monthly plus 1/2 rate Carers Allowance weekly on top of OPFP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

If I was homeless tomorrow, I would either:
    Use my wages to rent a new place if that wasn't going to work I'd go home.
    if I had no wages I'd go home and then try and find a job to get a wage that means I can rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

I think I'd always be ok to go home and stay with family, and if not, I'd probably sell myself really, get a bit together so I could hopefully get somewhere new to stay to have an address, which would allow me to either claim benefits or search for a job!

Advertisement