Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid public order fines

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

ezra_pound wrote: »
    My point however is that there is no option to pay by installment or community service etc.

There is nothing in the 2014 Act, or the amended Court Rules which prevent it's application to a fine issued before the Act was commenced that I know of.

That said it's application may depend on a number of things such as how long ago the fine was issued, if a Committal Warrant was issued etc. I wonder are fines actually written off, I know they are in the UK after a certain amount of time if it is deemed they are unenforceable but not certain what the situation is here?

I believe in cases where a Committal Warrant was issued before commencement of the 2014 Act the principles of res judicata would most likely prevent the subsequent application of an attachment order or community service instead of the Committal Warrant, but if no such Warrant was issued then possibly the item isn't considered fully dealt with and I can't see any issues preventing the Acts application to fines from before it's commencement.

pilly wrote: »
    As far as I know Garda vetting only shows anything up to 8 years old unless it's violence or sex related?

The 7 year exemption only applies to certain offences from the District Court and in most cases only if there is 1 conviction. Sections 14 to 19 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 for example are not excluded.

Also the exemption is subject to compliance with the sentence imposed, so for example if a fine isn't paid the conviction does not gain the benefit of exclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

A lot of the time people can't or won't pay them, especially if they know that prisons are overcrowded and 5 days in default is actually going to be a cup of tea in reception and then sent on their way.

I have been there and it is not that nice! I would recommend people pay their fines.

When I owed money for a fine you were not allowed to make payments, it had to be all or nothing. I think that that has changed now and you can make the payment in instalments.

Advertisement