Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Charge to Maynooth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

n97 mini wrote: »
    I'm talking pretty deregulation. Didn't the D, KE etc thing only come in after deregulation?

The letters on plates pertain to the PSV areas that the cab driver is licenced to pick up fares as a taxi. Localised places of old pre date them by years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I knew you could 'agreed a price ... but if you tried you were told that was the price there was no agreement or negotiation 90% of the time . The prices on those sheets were outrageous and designed to rip tourists off ... for example celbridge which is the one I knew was I think 70 euro... whereas the Lucan run was 40 the you could get a local run from there for 10. I used to tell them what u was doing and they acted all insulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    So after you went through 5 or 6 taxis you got the fare you agreed with, so whats the problem? you agreed the fare with the driver!

There are lots of things that are legal and are not right,capitalism is a terrible thing.

Curious as to what you mean by the comment "cushy number that is the airport rank".
    How exactly is it "cushy", can you elaborate?

You completely missed all the points. Some of the requested fares were absolutely ridiculous so I turned them down - so yes I did agree the fare when I got a reasonable one. No problem with someone making a living but I won't be ripped off. The fare cards were a complete joke but some drivers used them as defined fares and wouldn't brook any disagreement with them. But you conveniently ignored the statement that I was asked to pay an extra tenner more than once for crossing a county border even after agreeing the fare. Would you consider that reasonable, legal or fair?

As for the airport - my experience and the experience of a lot of people I know who've taken taxis from the airport is not positive. There are a high proportion of robbing ba$tards in the corral out there. I and others I know have been taken circuitous routes to where we've been going because they assumed we were tourists. A friend with an English accent was taken via Malahide to Fairview by an airport taxi. When he got to his house the fare was at least double what it should be so he offered him the correct fare or told the driver to take him to the nearest garda station to agree the fare there. And from the OPs description he got one of those drivers who either let the meter run at the rank or just plain made up the fare. Either way adding anything for crossing a county border is bull and I'd have taken his plate number and reported him for acting illegally - that'd end his rights to ply for trade at the airport at least.

The letters on plates pertain to the PSV areas that the cab driver is licenced to pick up fares as a taxi. Localised places of old pre date them by years.

Yet in Maynooth on busy student nights there are plenty of D plates blocking the roads. Typical of the rules being there but absolutely no enforcement whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Orion wrote: »
    The fare cards were a complete joke but some drivers used them as defined fares and wouldn't brook any disagreement with them. But you conveniently ignored the statement that I was asked to pay an extra tenner more than once for crossing a county border even after agreeing the fare. Would you consider that reasonable, legal or fair?

Paying 7 euro for a pint in town is a joke as well,but guess what people pay it.
    I didnt "conveniently" ignore anything, you made a comment, I read it.
    As for the airport - my experience and the experience of a lot of people I know who've taken taxis from the airport is not positive. There are a high proportion of robbing ba$tards in the corral out there. I and others I know have been taken circuitous routes to where we've been going because they assumed we were tourists. A friend with an English accent was taken via Malahide to Fairview by an airport taxi. When he got to his house the fare was at least double what it should be so he offered him the correct fare or told the driver to take him to the nearest garda station to agree the fare there. And from the OPs description he got one of those drivers who either let the meter run at the rank or just plain made up the fare. Either way adding anything for crossing a county border is bull and I'd have taken his plate number and reported him for acting illegally - that'd end his rights to ply for trade at the airport at least.

Not denying there are bad apples in EVERY walk of life, but making sweeping statements is rather extreme.
    You say you have been taken on "circuitous" routes, so are you saying you sat there until the journey ended before you said anything ???

As for your "friend" been taken to Malahide on the way to Fairview
    I find that extremely hard to believe, from a drivers point of view (not that i am condoning this supposed action),it wouldnt make sense even if he /she wanted to rip off a passenger to go through Malahide.

I would far believe if he/she went down the Malahide road.
    Given that your friend lived in Fairview, it beggars belief that he just sat there as the driver went through Malahide and said nothing!!!!!

With regard to the comment,"And from the OPs description he got one of those drivers who either let the meter run at the rank".

The driver would have had to put the meter on an hour before he picked up the passenger, so again your comment is quite daft.

You also failed to explain ""cushy number that is the airport rank". How is it "cushy"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogieman

Thanks for all the comments.
    It was his first time in Ireland so he was unaware of meters etc. but he must have had an idea something was up when he mentioned it to me.
    Its not a good impression for people coming here to do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Bogieman wrote: »
    It was his first time in Ireland so he was unaware of meters etc. but he must have had an idea something was up when he mentioned it to me.

Don't take the risk and tell him to get the bus the next time. Always a risk of a bad impression when there's a taxi involved!

Don't take the risk and tell him to get the bus the next time. Always a risk of a bad impression when there's a taxi involved!

Bit of a sweeping statement re taxis.

Bit of a sweeping statement re taxis.

Yup. It's happened to me too, both here and abroad.

I find that extremely hard to believe, from a drivers point of view (not that i am condoning this supposed action),it wouldnt make sense even if he /she wanted to rip off a passenger to go through Malahide.

I would far believe if he/she went down the Malahide road.
    Given that your friend lived in Fairview, it beggars belief that he just sat there as the driver went through Malahide and said nothing!!!!

He did exactly that to teach him a lesson. Driver went towards swords, turned up to malaise - not right into the village but the outskirts - then down the malahide road. Completely wrong route and my friend wasn't in a rush so let him waste his time And fuel then refused to pay the meter fare and offered the normal fare that would be charged. Driver refused it so he told him to drive to the local police station and let them decide what the fare should be. Driver took the fare then.

• Advertisement

He did exactly that to teach him a lesson. Driver went towards swords, turned up to malaise - not right into the village but the outskirts - then down the malahide road. Completely wrong route and my friend wasn't in a rush so let him waste his time And fuel then refused to pay the meter fare and offered the normal fare that would be charged. Driver refused it so he told him to drive to the local police station and let them decide what the fare should be. Driver took the fare then.

Aaaah so now your "friend" didn't go into Malahide as you stated initially ,but "the outskirts" and your "friend" who "wasn't in a rush" just sat there to "teach him a lesson".
    Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Bogieman wrote: »

How could he be unaware of the meter, it's the largest thing on the dash, the thing that everyone looks at while in a taxi.. Where's he from? Did he question the driver about this generic receipt? I've never heard of this type of receipt tbh. The hackneys here in Enniscorthy give a detailed receipt, driver name, PSV number etc

Aaaah so now your "friend" didn't go into Malahide as you stated initially ,but "the outskirts" and your "friend" who "wasn't in a rush" just sat there to "teach him a lesson".
    Brilliant!

I'm not sure why you're quoting "friend". Malahide comprises more than the village itself - the taxi went to Malahide just not into the village. I can't help it if you make an assumption and get all shirty when you're wrong.

And yes he did do that. It wasn't the first time a taxi had taken him the wrong way home because of his english accent so he decided to cost the driver time and money as an object lesson.

I assume you're a taxi driver yourself based on all your defences. News for you buddy - not all taxi drivers are as squeaky clean as you'd like people to think.

jca wrote: »
    How could he be unaware of the meter, it's the largest thing on the dash, the thing that everyone looks at while in a taxi.

Not necessarily - I've been in quite a few taxis where the meter display is in the rear view mirror and the meter itself is unobtrusive. You can still see it and read it from the passenger seat or the back but it's not as obvious as the old style mounted one so if you're from another country where meters are not mandatory you could miss it if you weren't looking for it.

Not necessarily - I've been in quite a few taxis where the meter display is in the rear view mirror and the meter itself is unobtrusive. You can still see it and read it from the passenger seat or the back but it's not as obvious as the old style mounted one so if you're from another country where meters are not mandatory you could miss it if you weren't looking for it.

Was that type of meter in your friends taxi or are you going to keep defending him regardless of his obvious lack of common sense?

I'm not sure why you're quoting "friend". Malahide comprises more than the village itself - the taxi went to Malahide just not into the village. I can't help it if you make an assumption and get all shirty when you're wrong.

And yes he did do that. It wasn't the first time a taxi had taken him the wrong way home because of his english accent so he decided to cost the driver time and money as an object lesson.

I assume you're a taxi driver yourself based on all your defences. News for you buddy - not all taxi drivers are as squeaky clean as you'd like people to think.

No defense at all, it is a rather lovely story all the same.

With regards to,"not all taxi drivers are as squeaky clean as you'd like people to think".

I am sure many a taxi driver could say the same about passengers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Whenever I have foreign relatives visiting and theyre getting a taxi from dublin airport out to our place I always get them to hand the phone to the driver and I tell him the destination and preferred route. I know the approximate cost so this avoids any unforseen detours 😉

Everyone has anecdotal evidence, but not long after I moved to Dublin in 1996 I was getting a taxi from the airport to Castleknock. I didn't know Dublin at all but got suspicious when we passed Heuston Station!

Was that type of meter in your friends taxi or are you going to keep defending him regardless of his obvious lack of common sense?

What lack of common sense exactly? He taught that crook a lesson. I applauded him.

With regards to,"not all taxi drivers are as squeaky clean as you'd like people to think".

I fail to see why you think it's untrue. It's not a story buddy. It happened whether you believe it or not. So if you're not going to bring anything new to the dialogue apart from implying I'm a liar I'm not going to engage with you anymore.

• Advertisement

Everyone has anecdotal evidence, but not long after I moved to Dublin in 1996 I was getting a taxi from the airport to Castleknock. I didn't know Dublin at all but got suspicious when we passed Heuston Station!

In fairness depending on the time or day it actually could be quicker to go through the city and then the park to Castleknock. Especially back then.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Brilliant!

The "story", as you might put it, is not far fetched and you are clearly getting defensive. There's no need to put friend in quotation marks.

Please cut it out or don't bother posting in this thread again, thank you.

What lack of common sense exactly? He taught that crook a lesson. I applauded him.
    That question was for the op not you. You taking over the thread isn't helping.

That question was for the op not you. You taking over the thread isn't helping.

You quoted me and asked a question directly relating to my post. Natural assumption was that it was a direct response to my post. If the question was for the OP then your comment actually makes no sense whatsoever.

Advertisement