Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Charge to Maynooth

Options
  • 25-04-2017 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All,
    A colleague of mine arrived in from a long haul flight yesterday afternoon and got a taxi from the airport taxi rank to Maynooth.
    He was charged €80 euro and told it was that price because of tolls and because he was going to a different county.
    I had a look at the receipt ad it was a generic one with no contact details of the company driver etc..
    Was he overcharged? Should he have expected a proper receipt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

?46.00 to ?58.40
    Please note: the above fare is an indicative estimate only and should not be taken as a guaranteed fare.
    Distance 34.3 km
    No traffic (30 min)
    Heavy traffic (55 min)
    Above distances and times are approximates only.
    No extra charges.

Seems a little high, even after the toll (its only one right?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

No surcharge for different county. I reckon a local company would have done it for 50. Seems high to me, just the one toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah that's pretty high. I've gotten taxis for the 50-60 quid range from maynooth to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Sounds too high. It's around ?40 to Leixlip so add another ?15 or ?20 to that.

FYI, the Airport Hopper bus connects Maynooth and the airport hourly for ?8.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Transport For Ireland calculator says €46.00 to €58.40

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

60 - 66 is what I've paid on the meter in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It is a long auld spin out to Maynooth from the 'Port. I'd have had it closer to the €70 mark but I'm out of the trade a while so that's a guess. Whatever about the receipt (Yeah, you are entitled to a one.) but what did the meter show when they got to their destination?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Paid €54.60 last week during the morning rush hour but I asked the driver to use the N3 to avoid traffic and the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

€80 seems too high, even for Maynooth. I would have expected about €60. The receipt should have:

1 The receipt number
    2 The SPSV licence number
    3 The unique vehicle identifier
    4 The start date of the trip
    5 The distance travelled in kilometres
    6 The start and finish time of the trip
    7 The amount calculated by the meter (broken down into total fare and extras), and
    8 A space highlighted for the manual recording of tips/discounts/tolls

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For future reference, if the timings suit, the Airport Hopper operates to Maynooth.

I do realise it depends on times, but might work out at some point. 7.20 euro.

That fare looks quite high, but it is a fair clip out to Maynooth from the airport all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,337 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tnegun wrote: »
    Paid ?54.60 last week during the morning rush hour but I asked the driver to use the N3 to avoid traffic and the toll.

What route? Going off the m50 is longer and slower so it may have been counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Off the M50 at Blanch to the Dunboyne Park and Ride and then Dunboyne road towards Maynooth is 36k home from the Airport, M50 to N4 is 34k so for the sake or 2k and the toll is definitely worth it during rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are also departures on Bus Eireann routes 22 and 23 that are licensed to carry passengers between Maynooth and Dublin Airport.

Ex-Maynooth (67 terminus): 03:50, 04:05, 18:45 and 20:30

Ex-Dublin Airport: 07:20, 10:20, 11:20, 12:30 (via Busaras), 15:30 (via Busaras), 18:00 (via Busaras), 20:20 and 23:20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Going to a different county is nonsense. I've got taxis from Dublin City to Maynooth. It all has to be on the meter and there's no surcharge for crossing a county border. This sounds like he left his meter running at the rank to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Bogieman wrote: »
    Hi All,
    A colleague of mine arrived in from a long haul flight yesterday afternoon and got a taxi from the airport taxi rank to Maynooth.
    He was charged €80 euro and told it was that price because of tolls and because he was going to a different county.
    I had a look at the receipt ad it was a generic one with no contact details of the company driver etc..
    Was he overcharged? Should he have expected a proper receipt?

What did you colleague say was on the meter, did he look at the meter??

By the sounds of it , he got a written receipt ,which is perfectly legal and the vast majority of people want written ones as opposed to printed ones.

Your colleague, if he had any concerns , firstly should have looked at the meter to see what was on it at the end of the journey and secondly should have asked for a printed receipt.

The printed receipt would show details of the driver, time of journey commencement, and end of journey.

The M50 is the quickest and most direct route to take,however if there was a long tail back and long delays on the M50 it would have a baring on the end cost.
    But to be honest average price to Maynooth town is in or around 50-55, for one person. Might be a little higher on a sunday, bank holiday or night time, but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

That's a total rip off and wrong. They used to have the rule about going across the boundary and pull out what I called the rip off sheet . I used to get a taxi to Lucan taxi office and get a local one . The rules were changed about 10 years ago that should have been on the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The different county spiel hasn't existed for over ten years. Now the driver will go anywhere from a rank up to 30km.

Yes there was a time if you asked for Wicklow, Kildare, Meath or Louth the driver had a card he'd refer to. 50 euro Naas, 120 euro Portarlington are two I remember

Those days are long gone and the lack of a printed receipt was the driver covering his tracks. Not a lot your colleague can do now but he will be wiser next time

Davidth88 wrote: »
    That's a total rip off and wrong. They used to have the rule about going across the boundary and pull out what I called the rip off sheet .

That was actually the Law in Ireland and not some taxi driver notion like you claim. A taxi was not obliged to operate or use it's meter outside of the area it was issued for. When outside of the area a fare could be agreed by both parties.

As regards a fare sheet, well they were suggested fares. If you were ripped off then I'm sorry but... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,337 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Not a lot your colleague can do now but he will be wiser next time
    Having the taxi number or being otherwise able to identify the driver to the NTA / DAA is something that can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That was actually the Law in Ireland and not some taxi driver notion like you claim. A taxi was not obliged to operate or use it's meter outside of the area it was issued for. When outside of the area a fare could be agreed by both parties.

As regards a fare sheet, well they were suggested fares. If you were ripped off then I'm sorry but... :)

it was the LAW eh? Yes they were operating legally but the costs were ridiculous. One time I went through 5 or 6 taxis at the rank on Aston Quay until I got a fare I would agree with. Yes it was legal but some of them took the piss. And even then I had drivers who tried to bump a tenner for distance even after the fare was agreed. Needless to say I didn't pay it. Just because it was legal doesn't mean it was right.

But for the OP - that's all in the past. Any taxi who tried to charge a premium for crossing a county border is acting illegally and could well end up losing their cushy number that is the airport rank if caught.

Orion wrote: »
    it was the LAW eh?

Yes it was the law. A taxi could only be used within the area the plate was issued for. Once the taxi left the area where it was issued to work, the meter couldn't be used to record the fare, hence agreed fares. A driver could take a booked fare outside of his area but again, the meter couldn't be used.

And yes it was farcical in many respects. Dublin drivers couldn't drop you out to Bray and vice versa on the meter; Blanch, Celbridge, Leixlip and Lucan were also a pain as the city outgrew the county boundary and estates; arguments ensued many a night on between punter and cabbie. Similarly the tourist havens of Tralee and Killarney had two separate taxi areas, which was confusing at high season depending on which firm or driver would arrive to answer calls for pick ups.

Edit; by used I mean hailed from the street or at a rank within the meter area of the respective plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Orion wrote: »
    it was the LAW eh? Yes they were operating legally but the costs were ridiculous. One time I went through 5 or 6 taxis at the rank on Aston Quay until I got a fare I would agree with. Yes it was legal but some of them took the piss. And even then I had drivers who tried to bump a tenner for distance even after the fare was agreed. Needless to say I didn't pay it. Just because it was legal doesn't mean it was right.

But for the OP - that's all in the past. Any taxi who tried to charge a premium for crossing a county border is acting illegally and could well end up losing their cushy number that is the airport rank if caught.

So after you went through 5 or 6 taxis you got the fare you agreed with, so whats the problem? you agreed the fare with the driver!

There are lots of things that are legal and are not right,capitalism is a terrible thing.

Curious as to what you mean by the comment "cushy number that is the airport rank".
    How exactly is it "cushy", can you elaborate?

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    So after you went through 5 or 6 taxis you got the fare you agreed with, so whats the problem? you agreed the fare with the driver!

There are lots of things that are legal and are not right,capitalism is a terrible thing.

Curious as to what you mean by the comment "cushy number that is the airport rank".
    How exactly is it "cushy", can you elaborate?

I was on the Lucan rank one evening in the olden days. A passenger spent a good 20 minutes asking every taxi how much to bring her home to Maynooth only to inform us that she was only willing to pay €10. The fare should have been about twice that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

In the old days when Galway airport was functioning it was never a problem to anywhere eastside but if you ask to go westside there was a sharp intake of breath at the prospect of crossing the Corrib and you were told what it was going to cost off the meter

You would call up the hackney company and they'd give a better deal, meet them outside the entrance

Those days are gone, so is Galway airport too actually

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Mr.Frame wrote:
    By the sounds of it , he got a written receipt ,which is perfectly legal and the vast majority of people want written ones as opposed to printed ones.

Why would people have a preference?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe if they're on expenses it allows them a little leeway in the price quoted?

Yes it was the law. A taxi could only be used within the area the plate was issued for.

You sure about that? A taxi driver friend told me it was a 10 mile radius from the GPO.

n97 mini wrote: »
    You sure about that? A taxi driver friend told me it was a 10 mile radius from the GPO.

100%. Plates were issued by city, town or urban councils back in the day, with the metered area being confined to the issuing council's jurisdiction. The council also set the fares for their taxi's along with any rules and regulations applicable.

The 10 miles from the GPO may have been an old thing but it wasn't the last in recent years. Even in the old Dublin PSV badge test you were expected to know how to get to some of the neighbouring towns; eg Bray, Maynooth, Naas.

• Advertisement

100%. Plates were issued by city, town or urban councils back in the day, with the metered area being confined to the issuing council's jurisdiction. The council also set the fares for their taxi's along with any rules and regulations applicable.

The 10 miles from the GPO may have been an old thing but it wasn't the last in recent years. Even in the old Dublin PSV badge test you were expected to know how to get to some of the neighbouring towns; eg Bray, Maynooth, Naas.

I'm talking pretty deregulation. Didn't the D, KE etc thing only come in after deregulation?

Advertisement