Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotto Quick Pick has same number on every line.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Lucena wrote: »
    Won't change your chances of winning, though.

It does really. If the lottery construct's tickets that are not random there must be a purpose to making an effort.

The last 6 tickets I've bought, all the lines have had;

-Same particular number on each lines of one ticket on all 6 tickets.
    - Have had at least one row with a couple, even 3 consecutive numbers.
    -3 lines of euro million all had numbers in common in the star number.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Lotteries are a fool's game. Just becomes another form of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

stimpson wrote: »
    Actually it's just as likely as any other numbers.

No it's not. But at the same time it kinda is.

Lotto machines don't randomise numbers. they use a random number generator (RMG). Most random number generators generate a number by taking an input and scrambling it through a load of processes before spitting out a number at the end.

But it's not quite random. Everything it does is based on the number that's inputted. In the case of an RMG the input number that it uses is normally the time. That way if you run it twice you get two different set of numbers because you're running it at different times.

The thing is that random number generators aren't random. They just generate the appearance of randomness. The idea is that we can't predict what's going to come out so it appears random. And because they're not truly random, they wouldn't be exactly the same distribution of results. So the odds of a particular number set appearing on a lotto ticket are not the exact same as any other, but they're so close that we wouldn't notice the difference. It's statistically insignificant.

However it would be possible to input a particular set and retrieve a very similar set of results. For that to happen with the lotto machine it just means buying a ticket at a precise millisecond. And the chances of doing that are so fecking minuscule. In fact it's probably random. Although the number generator spits out results you can track if you know the input, we can't predict to the millisecond when the OP was going to walk up and ask for a ticket.

The reason the OP asks if there's anything up with the lotto system is because although the numbers are as close to random as a human can generate on a machine, humans are designed to see patterns. And we're designed to read into patters so we can find deeper meaning. The problem is that we read into stuff when there's nothing to read into.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wylo wrote: »
    1,2,3,4,5,6 has the same chance of winning as any other numbers. Couldn't bring myself to using those numbers though
    But you'd win far less if you pick a common combination.

Wasn't there a lottery where the match 4 winners got more than the match 5 winners because of this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It does really. If the lottery construct's tickets that are not random there must be a purpose to making an effort.

The last 6 tickets I've bought, all the lines have had;

-Same particular number on each lines of one ticket on all 6 tickets.
    - Have had at least one row with a couple, even 3 consecutive numbers.
    -3 lines of euro million all had numbers in common in the star number.
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Lotteries are a fool's game. Just becomes another form of tax.

Agree all standard lotteries are no good, but the one exception of 'hotpick' type' of ball selection markets (difficult to access), for Euromillions.

The other posters points are all invalid, stars have no correlation on main balls, sequential can also be an advantage (ask jcool) who spotted a gap in 1500/1 seq-triple last year.

Also having the same ball across lines can also be an advantage, well depending on what ball it is exactly, and the application of 'fuzzy logic systems' to determine primary selections.

e.g. I'm purposefully runnning #18 in EM's, across 4/5 of the HP lines until it shows up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

A quick pick is playing the lotto odds twice tho, why would you do that?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    A quick pick is playing the lotto odds twice tho, why would you do that?

A quickpick with just one or two, or even three numbers matching across two or more lines makes no difference.

Aside from (very very small advantage) using systems, each and every number has an equal chance.

And as above, certain numbers might even be good idea to have repeated on lines.

Best solution, don't do quickpick, which is just a math.random(); machine script anyway.
    Even better still: don't do the regular lotto(s), use the hotpicks type markets for better %ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Every lotto I do the same numbers in about a hundred different newsagents just so that if I ever win I can troll the Lotto HQ when they tell me 'Sorry Sir, but 99 other people in Dublin also did those numbers'. I'll tell them that's just too much for me to handle and play the sound of gunshot down the line and then go silent for a couple of minutes, before then saying 'Ah, I'm only messing with yas'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The OP's ticket is probably out of date now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

spotify and other music streaming services have a 'shuffle' or a 'random' option. But they found that when they left it at random, people complained that they were hearing the same songs too often so they had to add in a clause to say if a song has been played, it is excluded from the playlist for a certain length of time.

Random sequences create the illusion of patterns in a pattern identifying brain like we have.

The most apparently random lists are deliberately engineered to not be fully random

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

They test the lotto machines between draws too. So your preferred numbers could have come up during the mid week test.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Even better still: don't do the regular lotto(s), use the hotpicks type markets for better %ROI.

When was the last time someone won a million on that game?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Worztron

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The OP's ticket is probably out of date now.

Hi Pac1Man. No, they are good for 90 days AFAIK. I won little or nothing anyway on that ticket.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

When was the last time someone won a million on that game?

Not sure, the 1m for x5 main EM balls is a very new offering (26th Jan), from the folks over at Camelot, so not nearly as many players as the regular one.

In their last draw, there was 1 winner in every 60 and total just 300k players. The cost is 60% of the regular game and some goes to good causes also, unlike regular EM.

Hopefully it will be introduced to Ire after the successful trial across the water, but many folks just use the bookie shop anyway.

Worth noting every week there is usually a single 5 main ball winner in Ire's EM main draw (none last night, but x12 across the EU).

... and the prize for that x5 in the regular EM lotto?

Well it's not 1m(stg), it's usually only about €30k! But 30k actually is what you get for 'x4 balls' using Hotpicks, so the math speaks for itself.

I've managed x1 single and x3 (100/1) doubles so far. Another chap here (jacool) managed a triple (1500/1) using a sequential prediction.

Advertisement