Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotto Quick Pick has same number on every line.

Options
  • 23-04-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Recently I got an Irish lotto quick pick and later looked at the ticket and saw that all 5 lines had 47 as the last number. What the hell? That's extremely unlikely to be random.

Anyone else get a quick pick like this?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Yeah, often notice if I get 2 lines there could be 3 the same numbers on each line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Won't change your chances of winning, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Lucena wrote: »
    Won't change your chances of winning, though.

It will if 47 comes up :pac:

im not sure how many numbers are on the lotto or how quick pics work but it's possibly more likely that this happens than the likelihood of winning the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Worztron wrote: »
    That's extremely unlikely to be random

Actually it's just as likely as any other numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Agent 47 has been reactivated.
    - ends communication -

• Registered Users Posts: 35,755 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I checked my ticket. I won, cool !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

1,2,3,4,5,6 has the same chance of winning as any other numbers. Couldn't bring myself to using those numbers though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

wylo wrote: »
    1,2,3,4,5,6 has the same chance of winning as any other numbers. Couldn't bring myself to using those numbers though

Imagine if 10 people played those numbers around the country. You'd be delighted if you won off course, but you'd probably have to stick with island hopping

Imagine if 10 people played those numbers around the country. You'd be delighted if you won off course, but you'd probably have to stick with island hopping

That's actually a good point I've never considered ! Now I'm definitely avoiding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

That's actually a good point I've never considered ! Now I'm definitely avoiding them.

In a quest to satisfy my curiosity 10K people in the UK play those numbers.

Also 133 people have shared a UK jackpot because they all had the same numbers.
    OK they won 100K each, but imagine how ecstatic you'd be to think you were going to win 16 million and only arrive back home with 100K.
    Not so life changing.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/17/national-lottery-numbers-20-years-katie-price-win-jackpot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Can't say much on the quick-pick front, mainly as I'm allergic to the Lotto, but I've noticed a big upswing of people buying scratch-cards at work - them fancy ones for a fiver or more that have a few panes to scratch. Every time I sit down for a cuppa, someone's scratching away at one. I've yet to see anyone jump up roaring "Yessss! Feck all ye and yer work! I'm off to buy a plane!" So maybe they're a bit crap too?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'd be happy enough with seeing numbers like 47 on a quick pick on the odd occasion when I buy one. A lot of people that do regular numbers pick them based on birthdays, anniversaries etc, so they tend to be in the 1-31 range. That and when the original lotto started there were only 36 numbers in it. I'm sure there are plenty who have been playing the same numbers for years. Far bigger chance of someone having duplicate numbers down that end of the number range than a set of winning numbers up in the 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I heard if you get 2 quick pick lines the same on the one ticket you win 1 billion euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Where is this famous quickpick machine that has a penchant for the number 47?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

all 5 lines had 47 as the last number ... That's extremely unlikely to be random.

No matter how many times in a row heads is the result of a coin-flip the next flip is still 50/50. Not understanding this is why people play roulette and the house always wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

In a quest to satisfy my curiosity 10K people in the UK play those numbers.

Also 133 people have shared a UK jackpot because they all had the same numbers.
    OK they won 100K each, but imagine how ecstatic you'd be to think you were going to win 16 million and only arrive back home with 100K.
    Not so life changing.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/17/national-lottery-numbers-20-years-katie-price-win-jackpot

I'd take my chances with a 100k !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Hi.

Recently I got an Irish lotto quick pick and later looked at the ticket and saw that all 5 lines had 47 as the last number. What the hell? That's extremely unlikely to be random.

It about 100,000 / 1 coincidence (I think... I usually make a balls of working these things out:D)

So it is unusual, but in reality probably happens to somebody somewhere every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'd be happy enough with seeing numbers like 47 on a quick pick on the odd occasion when I buy one. A lot of people that do regular numbers pick them based on birthdays, anniversaries etc, so they tend to be in the 1-31 range. That and when the original lotto started there were only 36 numbers in it. I'm sure there are plenty who have been playing the same numbers for years. Far bigger chance of someone having duplicate numbers down that end of the number range than a set of winning numbers up in the 40s.
    The fact that there are 47 numbers in the lottery at all should piss you off to no end

They added 2 numbers and increased the price per line when premier lotteries took over which took your odds of winning the jackpot from 1 in 8,145,060 with 45 numbers to 1 in 10,737,573 with 47 balls in the drum.

The odds of winning the Euromillions jackpot is 1 in 116,531,800 (50 balls, 5 numbers but there are two 'lucky stars' that you need to get to win the jackpot)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It about 100,000 / 1 coincidence (I think... I usually make a balls of working these things out:D)

So it is unusual, but in reality probably happens to somebody somewhere every day of the week.

If you buy a quick pick ticket, the odds of those numbers being chosen by the quick pick are 1 in about ten million, and the odds of those numbers being also picked in the lottery draw are 1 in about ten million.

Using common sense, you need to multiply those two numbers together so odds of those two draws happening to pick the same numbers by pure chance is 1 in 100,000,000,000,000

But the odds of me picking my telephone number as my lottery numbers is 1 in 1, so if I pick the same numbers every week, I improve my odds of winning by a factor of 10 million.

And that my friends, is why I am a multi millionaire.
    #publogic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

Hi.

I've been noticing this for years with quickpicks. I don't always do the lotto, but might for a few draws if the jackpot is huge. I also tend not to check the tickets straight away, so might have 4-5 tickets to check when I do, and I notice that around 3/4 of the tickets will have a number repeating.

Always wondered if that gave the Lotto a statistical advantage (I know the probability is still the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Worztron

Where is this famous quickpick machine that has a penchant for the number 47?

Cork City.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

My buddy is a bit of a conspiracy theorist.

He reckons that while any single ticket has the same odds of winning as any other ticket, quick picks tend to repeat some numbers a lot.

His theory is that this reduces the chances of random jackpot wins, and results in fewer wins, higher jackpots, and more people playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's all gone to the dogs since the Canadians got their filthy paws on it

dilallio wrote: »
    My buddy is a bit of a conspiracy theorist.

He reckons that while any single ticket has the same odds of winning as any other ticket, quick picks tend to repeat some numbers a lot.

His theory is that this reduces the chances of random jackpot wins, and results in fewer wins, higher jackpots, and more people playing.

I don't know how this could be scientifically possible unless some of the balls themselves are fixed to prevent them from coming through as often , i.e. The ones that reappear in a quick pick.

Naaa I'm not buying it! It's a pretty far fetched scam and would require far too many people to stay quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Worztron

Of all the biggest jackpot wins -- how many were quick picks?

Of the jackpot wins in recent years -- were most quick picks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't know how this could be scientifically possible unless some of the balls themselves are fixed to prevent them from coming through as often , i.e. The ones that reappear in a quick pick.

Naaa I'm not buying it! It's a pretty far fetched scam and would require far too many people to stay quiet!

Nah, there's no scam. There's just no need for one, the owners can't loose - it's set up so that the prize is a percentage of the sales - by definition, no matter what the prize there's always money left over for them to keep. There's a minimum jackpot but you can be sure that if they ever need to add money to the kitty, it's comes straight back out on the next rollover.

It's like Vegas, people assume it's run by the mob so there must be a fiddle - but it's all perfectly above board. They can make so much money legit and hassle free, that there is just no need to swindle and invite trouble and complications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Why is it that the winning ticket for either Lotto or euromillions in ireland seem to be bought in shops. And not online?
    Scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I had a quick pick for the Euromillions once where one number matched and each other number was only 2 or 3 away from the drawn number. So close yet so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Winterlong wrote: »
    Why is it that the winning ticket for either Lotto or euromillions in ireland seem to be bought in shops. And not online?
    Scam!

Just a guess - I'd say only 10% of tickets are bought online. Wild guess as I say.

Advertisement