Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of replacing double sockets

Options
  • 23-04-2017 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering what would be an average price per socket of replacing old electrical sockets with new ones with switches.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭99problems

I replaced 10 last week for 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

99problems wrote:

That's a very fair price imo

Levitate wrote:
    Just wondering what would be an average price per socket of replacing old electrical sockets with new ones with switches.

When buying the sockets you might think about some having USB charging in them. Haven't changed any of mine yet but definitely USB in some when I do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Ye 100 quid sounds fair. Depending on what you're looking for assuming installer is supplying sockets. A nicer looking socket will of course cost more. Then again of course for chrome/brass.

• Advertisement

dbagman wrote:
    Ye 100 quid sounds fair. Depending on what you're looking for assuming installer is supplying sockets. A nicer looking socket will of course cost more. Then again of course for chrome/brass.

You won't get an electrician to supply & fit 10 sockets for 100 but I think you know that anyway.
    That's about 75 euro ex vat. He'd be fitting them for free. No wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

99problems wrote: »

Not including sockets?

colm_mcm wrote:
    Not including sockets?

How much will it you pay for 10 double sockets?

Sleeper12 wrote:
    That's a very fair price imo

They could be crap to be fair , time will tell

• Advertisement

dbagman wrote:

Oh sorry , I installed myself should have said.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How much will it you pay for 10 double sockets?

Around €50 for 10, MK ones.
    99problems wrote: »
    Ah right, I thought you did it in a professional capacity for someone else.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Around €50 for 10, MK ones.

So that leaves 50 euro. Vat has to be paid out of that. Unless you are thinking of Dave the handyman who's also on the dole it's just not possible to supply & fit 10 double sockets for 100 inc vat

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Levitate

looking more for what I'd expect to pay a good quality electrician (who would also be supplying decent quality sockets).

Levitate wrote:
    looking more for what I'd expect to pay a good quality electrician (who would also be supplying decent quality sockets).

Best bet is to ring 2 or 3 electricians tomorrow and get quotes. Each electrician sets their own prices so there is no industry standard rate as such.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Ah right, I thought you did it in a professional capacity for someone else.

Na I'm not an electrician I'm a night porter lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Sleeper12 wrote:
    You won't get an electrician to supply & fit 10 sockets for 100 but I think you know that anyway. That's about 75 euro ex vat. He'd be fitting them for free. No wages.

Well I'm assuming the cheapest sockets you can buy (hence my query) and cash in hand for 100 quid. Just didn't want to say it. But OP has since clarified he did it himself so that was material cost only.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Levitate wrote: »

go to B&Q and buy a pack of 10 MK dbl switched sockets - approx €50 v good quality and wont get them cheaper - unless things have changed
    then contact a few electricians to compare prices for install only

dont be surprised @ €100-€150 for labour

dbagman wrote:
    Well I'm assuming the cheapest sockets you can buy (hence my query) and cash in hand for 100 quid. Just didn't want to say it. But OP has since clarified he did it himself so that was material cost only.

I assumed that the 100 was labour only. I still thought that cheap for a legitimate electrician. We both assumed wrong this time. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

99problems wrote:

I assumed as much. You doing this in your house is ok withing the regs. Fair play to you.

General note Using non RECs ie cash prices is not allowed here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

micks wrote: »
    go to B&Q and buy a pack of 10 MK dbl switched sockets - approx €50 v good quality and wont get them cheaper - unless things have changed
    then contact a few electricians to compare prices for install only

dont be surprised @ €100-€150 for labour

If you go to B&Q you'll pay top dollar.

If you want good quality sockets go to an electrical wholesaler. Specify that you want good quality rather than the cheapest.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Haven't changed any of mine yet but definitely USB in some when I do

2 of 4 I installed two years back have failed already. Strangely enough the least used ones. Same make.
    Have another Aldi job elsewhere is soldiering on.

The 12VDC jobs I spent 3 squid on a decade ago are far more resilient. I suppose having off switches helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,145 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought these from Argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5586220/Trail/searchtext%3EUSB+SOCKET.htm

Bargain for 2.

Last time I got sockets done in the kitchen, I got an electrician to do them whilst fitting some lights, but he showed me how easy it was to change them myself, so I have done all these USB ones myself.

Its a very easy job, as long as you are careful to make sure all the power to the sockets is off beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Levitate

looking at replacing around 15, being quoted figures from electricians of around €300. that obviously includes supply of sockets and installation. does that seem a bit high?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,145 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe not, you are getting a registered tradesman after all.

But would I pay it? Certainly not.

First off, this 'good quality sockets' thing. What exactly constitutes a good quality socket? I know the 2 for 10 in Argos are cheap as chips, made in China and all, but I'd guess all the sockets you'd be buying would be made in China. Having checked out a socket, I'm not sure how you could manufacture a really top quality one to be honest.

The sockets I replaced at home, with the USB sockets, were installed I assume when the house was built in 2001. They were all working fine and none of them looked any more special that the ones I just replaced them with. So I wouldn't be rushing out to buy really expensive sockets if I was you.

And a final thing, as I also mentioned, I changed mine myself after seeing how easy it was to do when an electrician friend did some for me. I would not class myself as a good DIYer or anything, but it is really easy to do. Really easy. The only issue is making sure you turn off the power to the sockets. I also bought a cheap socket tester from Screwfix to make sure there was no power to the socket before I started.

But it is an easy DIY job, and could save you a lot of money. I understand not everyone will be confident enough to do it, I wasn't, but have now changed out a lot of my sockets to USBs, using those Argos bought ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The USB sockets will have a stand by power consumption when not being used, i think a poster on here measured different brands to see how much they use.

I would always try and use better quality sockets for the kitchen/utility room due to the loads they are carrying. Just cause your paying more money in the likes of woodies/b&q doesn't necessarily equate to quality. I've bought cheaper sockets from Meteor electrical (zeler brand) and have been very happy with them too.

I can't remember the last time i had to replace a socket due to it failing, I remember having to often replace ones back 20+ years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Levitate wrote: »
    does that seem a bit high?
    No. Sounds entirely reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

exaisle wrote: »
    If you go to B&Q you'll pay top dollar.

If you want good quality sockets go to an electrical wholesaler. Specify that you want good quality rather than the cheapest.

If you can find me less expensive MK double switched sockets i'd be interested to know?

I know this is their UK site but last time I checked it was same in euros
    http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-13a-white-socket-pack-of-5/275781_BQ.prd

IMO MK are up there in terms of quality for domestic sockets

I would be a bit wary of the Argos own branded stuff. I got some light switches, one failed, and the remaining one has gone a funny grey off white colour in the space of a year.
    Should have got MK ones, but was decorating and changed the switches on a whim when I was getting other stuff in Argos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Said it on a previous thread, putting USB in a socket is foolish. BS 1363 isnt going anywhere. USB changes. What used to be a 500mA standard is now carrying up to 100W and charging Macbooks.

Put em in now and never use them as 2A will take three days to charge a 2019 tablet.

Advertisement