Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spitting Image to return

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

They'll have a field day with Trump and elephant ears Charlie :) The royals have been warned to keep Charlie away from Trump on his UK June visit in case he starts his climate change preaching nonsense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Sam Kade wrote: »
    They'll have a field day with Trump and elephant ears Charlie :) The royals have been warned to keep Charlie away from Trump on his UK June visit in case he starts his climate change preaching nonsense :D

The same "nonsense" that Trump used to try and get a sea wall built in ireland lol.

Trump, Putin, Kim they could fill every episode with just those 3! I remember the original from the 80's would love to see this back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

ITV had a night of it a while back, afaik 30th anniv?

Watched that when in school, Genesis had the same team do Land Of Confusion:D
    & then you had Hale & Pace afterwards @10.30, definitely was Silly Sunday:P

I see there's a similar show tomoro nite on ITV with Jason Manford called Bigheads?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it worked in the 80's because it was new and if was one of the few shows that parodied politicians. in the meme and twitter age it will be scrambling to keep up. i predict a flop or at least doesnt make waves like the original

i still remember this one

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Here is Newsnight's prog on the 30th Anniv:

& if you want more here's , here's Best Of:

& who can forget Saint & Greavsie:

& i saw this clip on the top of page on RHS, you'll see, Trump make the quarter-final draw for the 1992 Rumbelows League Cup ;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I can barely remember it. I do recall John Major and his peas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If it has the chicken song I'll watch it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

House of Commons, Commons of house

Wasn't there a 2D animated series which was a similar idea but think it flopped?
    I remember knowing so many MP's just from this series and being able to identify them in real life. Disppointed at the lack of spitting from Hattersley.

I do remember how John Major became grey after they did a documentary or something about him in black and white and just stuck with the same puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,178 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Trailer is out.

Not sure if it will be available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy2JHmyMbnk

Trailer is out.

Can't see RTE airing it, will be on the UK channels if the perpetually offended don't get their way, they got savaged for having a Gretta character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

blanch152 wrote: »

It's initially going to be on Britbox but I think less than a week later each episode will be on ITV. Potential for Virgin Media to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Putin having a willy fight with Boris and Donald was a little...bizarre.

I want to see Maggie make a comeback.

-"And what about the vegetables?"

-"Oh, they'll have the same as me."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The original looked better imo.

The new puppets nearly look a bit too smooth and polished. May as well have just made a cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Love to see RTE grab this..(make up for Father Ted )...considering the complaints about Matt Lucas's sketch on the GBBO, dont imagine you'll see it on BBC, ITV etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Love to see RTE grab this..(make up for Father Ted )...considering the complaints about Matt Lucas's sketch on the GBBO, dont imagine you'll see it on BBC, ITV etc.....

How do you mean make up for Father Ted ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

s8n wrote: »
    How do you mean make up for Father Ted ??

Commonly held misconception RTE turned it down and sent them packing to channel 4. Matthews and Linehan have rebuked this theory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Commonly held misconception RTE turned it down and sent them packing to channel 4. Matthews and Linehan have rebuked this theory

That ****e again !!

Its one of the most overused bullsh1t stories of the past 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The 7” single version of The Chicken Song has never made it onto CD. Like many novelty songs, it hardly ever features on ‘80s or other compilations (despite being a #1 hit). The few compilations that do include it feature the album version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The Ive never met a nice South African was pretty catchy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The 7” single version of The Chicken Song has never made it onto CD. Like many novelty songs, it hardly ever features on ‘80s or other compilations (despite being a #1 hit). The few compilations that do include it feature the album version.

Maybe because most novelty songs are shıt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Maybe because most novelty songs are shıt?

Not necessarily. They can sound out of place or may disrupt the flow of a compilation, hence their exclusion. Same with charity records and Christmas songs. There have been a couple of novelty compilations but they’re not comprehensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Surely the best way to mock the ones in this is to do a serious version. Like have Trump acting less Trump-like.

Think the problem with this compared to the original is the only info we had on the people in the original was from tv and newspapers. But now with 24/7 news, internet, twitter, etc, the jokes are likely going to feel outdated by the time it airs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Surely the best way to mock the ones in this is to do a serious version. Like have Trump acting less Trump-like.

You mean like Bill..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Anyone see the New Episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Anyone see the New Episode?

just watching it now, brilliant so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember watching the very first one with Bob Dylan singing about cheeeessse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched it earlier, it has potential. They have Greta Thunberg and Priti Patel perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a 2nd season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Their youTube channel already has some clips from the episodes; does seem very in keeping with the show of yore. Only thing is that sure enough, mocking Trump seems incredibly redundant given his actual, real-life idiocy. The material aimed at Patel feels quite vicious and on-point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spitting Image’ Producer Says NBC Backed Out Of Series Because Of “Too Much Nervousness”
    Jon Thoday, the executive producer of rebooted Brit comedy Spitting Image, has revealed that NBC pulled out of the show just weeks before its premiere because of “nervousness” around its satirical content.

Deadline revealed over the weekend that the puppet show would premiere on Facebook in the U.S. after Avalon was unable to secure a broadcast partner.

Avalon founder Thoday told the Times of London that NBC was on-board right up until six weeks before launch, when executives at the network backed out amid “too much nervousness.”

https://deadline.com/2020/10/spitting-image-jon-thoday-nbc-1234592851/

Advertisement