Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

pjohnson wrote: »
    You mean science?

The opus dei & other assorted god bothering nuts on these forums such as infogiver probably regard scientists as heretics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Well then you are wrong. You could replace the word "baby" with "Jimmy" that doesnt mean that as a rule all fetus must now be referred to as Jimmy....

Actually I'm not wrong. You can spend as long as you like convincing yourself of that but it won't change the biological fact that she was a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,193 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

infogiver wrote: »
    Isn't "chooses not to continue with the pregnancy " just a more palatable politically correct way of saying "chooses to have an abortion "?
    If the baby is not a baby but a fetus, bunch of cells, parasite or whatever then why do you have to dress the terminology up like that?
    Why are you so reluctant to say "chooses to have an abortion"?
    I'm lazy and stupid I think.

It is using words in their actual proper form.........a woman is refered to as being pregnant when there is a viable embryo/fetus inside her. You cant just start arguing since you dont understand big words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Because when I was pregnant I never carried a fetus in my womb I carried a baby.
    Several friends of friends are pregnant at the moment and they don't say " oh we went to the scan and the fetus was lying on its side" and they don't say " I've been awake all night with the fetus kicking my ribs". If you ever hear anyone using that expression in that context then please let me know.
    I can understand when your advocating for the opportunity to kill unborn babies because your pregnancy is inconvenient that it's far more palatable to refer to a "fetus" but it's just not realistic.

Of course you carried a fetus! It's a medical term.
    You can call your blood golden liquid of Jesus but it's still blood!!!

You "chose" to call your fetus a baby because it was a loved and wanted pregnancy.

Your friends "chose" to call theirs babies for the same reason.

That's why in civilised societies we allow "choice" so people like you have the right to call your pregnancy whatever you like but the woman who isn't so lucky has the right to "choose" as well.

Do you realise how hypocritical you are??

Actually I'm not wrong. You can spend as long as you like convincing yourself of that but it won't change the biological fact that she was a baby.

Biologically it was a fetus.........yet you blame others of manipulative language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Why can't you accept you don't have the right to make decisions about every woman in this country and what they do with their body?
    Make choices about yours. Not anyone else's.

Having choices is simply that, a choice, no one will be forced into aborting pregnancies but they also won't be forced into pregnancies.

I don't care what you do with your body, I care very much about what you do with the body you carry inside you for nine months, which BTW, *spoiler alert*, is another body entirely with rights enshrined in the constitution. I don't think you should have a life or death choice of that other persons body either. Make a whole host of better choices however and chances are you'll never have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

So pro abortion then. I mean if they want abortion to be available then that means pro abortion, yeah?

No. So pro choice then. I mean they want a woman to have access to abortion if she CHOOSES so that means pro choice, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

She was also a fetus

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    The opus dei & other assorted god bothering nuts on these forums such as infogiver probably regard scientists as heretics.

11 pages it took for the pro abortion patrol to bring God into the equation.
    Well done.
    It's usually page 4 or 5.
    You resisted until now.
    It's never the God botherers either, always the atheists.
    Amazing.

Of course you carried a fetus! It's a medical term.
    You can call your blood golden liquid of Jesus but it's still blood!!!

You "chose" to call your fetus a baby because it was a loved and wanted pregnancy.

Your friends "chose" to call theirs babies for the same reason.

That's why in civilised societies we allow "choice" so people like you have the right to call your pregnancy whatever you like but the woman who isn't so lucky has the right to "choose" as well.

Do you realise how hypocritical you are??

How should we break the news that before that she carried an embryo inside her

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    She was also a fetus

She was and is Maria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

conorhal wrote: »
    Now that's just strawmanning, who the hell is talking about quota's for abortions? In what bizzaro world is a pregnant woman told 'sorry, but you can't continue this pregnancy because we've hit the quota this month'? Is this the alt-universe to the one in which abortion is legal but nobody has one?
    (Actually, just typing that hilariously dystopian parody statement I just realised how depressingly it reflects the true state of affairs in abortion liberal China.)

As for the rest, I refuse to condone abortion because of the far greater harm it perpetrates against the fetus and society in general.

I'm addressing the point of being described as pro-abortion (which isn't going to annoy me btw). It's not like I have a target number of abortions in mind, or think that as many should happen as possible or that everyone who gets pregnant should have one. Anti choice, imo, is more accurate than pro-abortion.

Might be why you're taking exception to anti choice and I don't really care about pro-abortion. I call myself pro-choice but call me what you want like.

The near total prohibition of abortion in Ireland is causing massive social harm. It's causing people to have riskier abortions. It's causing people to have later term abortions. It's most punitive on the very poor and the very young, and other seriously marginalised groups. Specifically because of the wording of the eighth amendment it's causing horrendous things to happen. What harm does access to abortion cause to society in and of itself? You do realise that some jurisdictions with very liberal access have very low rates of abortion actually occurring? You do realise that the eighth amendment doesn't actually stop Irish women having abortions, or stop abortions occurring in Ireland?

I don't care what you do with your body, I care very much about what you do with the body you carry inside you for nine months, which BTW, *spoiler alert*, is another body entirely with rights enshrined in the constitution. I don't think you should have a life or death choice of that other persons body either. Make a whole host of better choices however and chances are you'll never have to.
    So why do you get authority over her body for 9mths of her life?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Isn't "chooses not to continue with the pregnancy " just a more palatable politically correct way of saying "chooses to have an abortion "?

Isn't that just wordplay to deflect from my reply to your question?
    If the baby is not a baby but a fetus, bunch of cells, parasite or whatever then why do you have to dress the terminology up like that?

Why are you so reluctant to say "chooses to have an abortion"?

I can change it to your wording and the logic of the reply will be exactly the same.

She was and is Maria

1) Fertilised egg
    2) Embryo
    3) Fetus
    4) Maria

Good work. Get a schoolyard "na na na na na" gang going so you can all shout down the other voices.
    Very mature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Pro choice is the PC term for being pro abortion.
    Pro abortion "lites" don't like the word abortion because it conjures up mental pictures of dead babies ( dead babies are the result of abortions, biologically, mind you), so they refer to "termination of pregnancy", and reframe the expression "pro abortion " as "pro choice" to put a bit of a better spin on it.

**** that's a big-ass straw man.

"Pro-abortion" implies that choice is somehow innately better, when obviously that's not the case. "Pro-choice" more accurately states what the repeal movement want- to allow choice, one way or the other.
    If you have a referendum on pro choice abortion, what about one on pro choice murder? Should people not have the choice to murder people?

1) Fertilised egg
    2) Embryo
    3) Fetus
    4) Maria

Sorry no.
    1. Maria
    Err ...there's no 2 3 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

She was and is Maria

That's fine.

Maria was an egg, then blastocyst, then an embryo, then a fetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think the word termination sounds a bit harsher, more violent and and more final than abortion, but I guess that's in the ear of the listener. I use it because it's the word I most often hear used by healthcare professionals, but they're synonyms as long as the context is known.

That's actually the unfortunate thing about all these euphemisms and couching terms in more fluffly language - it can lead to unintended consequences where a termination is interpreted as a termination of a pregnancy, and that's ok for some, until they realise that termination of a pregnancy, and abortion resulting in the death of the unborn, aren't the same thing.

In the context of the 8th amendment, the term used is 'the unborn', a legal term, so questions about why can't someone refer to it as a foetus are neither here nor there really. I had previously advocated that a pregnant woman should have the right to end her pregnancy in the manner in which she chooses and should not be forced by any law to give birth against her will.

I had one poster then who was adamant that the term 'foetus' be used, suggest that I was a monster for suggesting that I was advocating killing a child. By their own standards, the term foetus is a medical term is that time in the development of human life between 8 weeks development and the time they are born. Up to the point they're born, they're still a foetus.

That's not to mention the number of people who suggest they are 'pro-choice', advocating that it should be a woman's choice and that she should have the right to choose what happens within her own body, etc... but, only up to a certain point in her pregnancy, that they're comfortable with. They never when questioned explain what they think should happen to a woman who would want to terminate her pregnancy in the manner of her choosing after that point.

Pro-choice but only up to a certain point implies an inherently deceptive position in that they really don't think women should be trusted to make choices for themselves at all, but rather that women should only be able to make choices that they're comfortable with. How that position is any different from pro-life/anti-choice/whoever disagrees with them... has never been explained to me by anyone. They always, always prefer to ignore that question. Seems it presents an uncomfortable conundrum for their ideological position.

When we're talking about human life though, I have more interest in people's opinions than their ideological positions.

• Advertisement

Sorry no.
    1. Maria
    Err ...there's no 2 3 4

So was it the stork that dropped her in your lap? Sorry if basic science upsets you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Steady! ;)

So why do you get authority over her body for 9mths of her life?

Why does she get to have authority over her baby's body for the first 9 months of its life?
    Dinner time, evening all.

Good work. Get a schoolyard "na na na na na" gang going so you can all shout down the other voices.
    Very mature.

No.....its just simple facts. If less time was spent in the schoolyard and more on Leaving Cert science this would be a far easier conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I'm presuming youre a virgin then.
    Anyone who says things like "make better choices" really has no place in this conversation.

Why does she get to have authority over her baby's body for the first 9 months of its life?
    Dinner time, evening all.

Oh god do you know think an Embryo has a fully functional human body?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Hopefully this country doesn't go down the road of normalizing the destruction on babies.

IMO it's murder.

Hopefully this country doesn't go down the road of normalizing the destruction on babies.

IMO it's murder.

No wants to kill babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

IMO it's murder.

The destruction of babies would be murder.

Good job we're not talking about murdering babies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'm addressing the point of being described as pro-abortion (which isn't going to annoy me btw). It's not like I have a target number of abortions in mind, or think that as many should happen as possible or that everyone who gets pregnant should have one. Anti choice, imo, is more accurate than pro-abortion.

Might be why you're taking exception to anti choice and I don't really care about pro-abortion. I call myself pro-choice but call me what you want like.

The near total prohibition of abortion in Ireland is causing massive social harm. It's causing people to have riskier abortions. It's causing people to have later term abortions. It's most punitive on the very poor and the very young, and other seriously marginalised groups. Specifically because of the wording of the eighth amendment it's causing horrendous things to happen. What harm does access to abortion cause to society in and of itself? You do realise that some jurisdictions with very liberal access have very low rates of abortion actually occurring? You do realise that the eighth amendment doesn't actually stop Irish women having abortions, or stop abortions occurring in Ireland?

Excellent point made in this post.

A good friend of mine needed an abortion (for health reasons, not that it matters. Rather than get an extremely early term abortion at 5 weeks, she had to go on a waiting list for a clinic in England, and save the money for flights and accommodation. She ended up having an abortion at 14 weeks instead. She needed the abortion to protect her health at the time but because of the 8th amendment it was the termination of a 14 week old fetus instead of a 5 week old fetus.

That's all the 8th amendment does, just kicks the ball down the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement