Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Thanks for proving my point about your MO again for me by the way. Ignoring the posts I write to you, waiting some hours or days, then taking pot shots at posts I write to someone else. It is a rather clockwork cycle at this point.
    it's not viable to operate on the basis of sentients only.

Can you back up that assertion in any way, or will you merely be asserting it? As usual?
    the pre-sentient, as in the unborn, who will (unless circumstances prevent it) will become sentient, have to be given protection, to insure their right to become sentient is upheld as much is practically possible.

What right to become sentient? You are making up that right. Aside from.... you guessed it once again.... mere assertion you have not shown that right exists, should exist, or is in any way required.

You dodged it a few times already by means of mere dismiss and retreat, but I repeat the thought experiment I offered to you earlier. If I build an GAI tomorrow, that is every bit (maybe even more so) as sentient and conscious as you....... and the only thing stopping it realizing that potential is the one switch........ then why would I have any moral obligation to flick that switch?

If a machine with no sentience, but the full potential for it, does not have a "right to become sentience" then why does a biological machine have it? Aside from the fact one is a machine made of silicon and the other a machine made of meat........... where does your imagined moral obligation suddenly manifest from? You have not grounded it in ANYTHING so far. Ever.
    systems are not improved and in fact get a lot worse as there is no incentive to improve them.

My point exactly, thanks. I just said that. The difference between the fact THAT abortion is introduced and HOW it is introduced is a massive one. Not just in abortion. The same issues come up in threads on, say, legalized prostitution. People against prostitution rush to point to jurisdictions where the introduction of it had bad effects. But what they fail to do is show that the introduction of prostitution caused the detrimental effect. It was HOW it was introduced that did it.

So you would get little fight from me there! Should you lose all the votes and so forth to prevent abortion-by-choice reaching Ireland........... You would in fact find me standing beside you on the front lines fighting TOGETHER to ensure abortion is introduced in such a way as to avoid such things happen. Both in terms of introducing it correctly, and ensuring that it's introduction is not used to take AWAY from initiatives and procedures and resources that otherwise are a benefit to society.

But it is baby and bath water stuff. That the poor introduction of a new resource or service can have bad effects is not, and never should be, an argument for not introducing that resource or service AT ALL. And you would do well not to lose sight of the common ground that lies under both you and yours, and me and mine, when it comes to abortion.

But you are..... willfully I suspect........ rather vague about what "systems" got worse and why in your rhetoric here. Feel free to expand on it with actual specifics, rather than doomsayer hand waving.
    the incentive to even attempt to improve will be gone.

Speak for yourself I guess. You certainly are not describing me or anyone I know with this assertion. Everyone I know, myself included, pursue the ideal of not just having abortion by choice.... but having any and all initiatives possible to reduce (to zero preferably and ideally) the number of people who ever seek to have one!

But I do not buy the narrative that the introduction of a new service kills the incentive to improve. We have over the years invented many medical treatments for poor health. Heart Bypass surgery jumps to mind. But there are still many people working on improving standards of health and fitness and living and well being so as to reduce the number of people who ever have to have one. Many do not sit back and say "Ah no need to improve the health of the nation, sure they can just have surgery if they need it".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

it's not viable to operate on the basis of sentients only. the pre-sentient, as in the unborn, who will (unless circumstances prevent it) will become sentient, have to be given protection, to insure their right to become sentient is upheld as much is practically possible.
    the reality in relation to abortion on demand, is that when it is legislated for (at least in terms of countries like britain) and ireland should we legislate for it, is that systems are not improved and in fact get a lot worse as there is no incentive to improve them. while ireland isn't great at implementing fully functional systems as it is, should abortion on demand be legislated for then the incentive to even attempt to improve will be gone. that is why, along with many other reasons, there is no grounds to legislate for abortion on demand. abortion on demand isn't needed, but abortion in extreme circumstances is . the state refusing to provide abortion on demand and fund it does not go against bodily autonomy. currently ireland isn't doing anything wrong by not legislating for abortion on demand, it is by not insuring all extreme circumstances where it would actually be necessary such as FFA aren't covered by what legislation exists.

Never in my days have I seen any law or legal writing that could interpret that the pre-sentient have the right to be protected in order to become sentient. Never. You literally just made that up.

Of course, if you posted that in your opinion, the pre-sentient should be protected, that's a different matter. However you are stating it to be legal fact, when it isn't.

But at a societal level there is the question of what sort of a society would I want for my grandchildren,

I can only assume you would wish for a society that treats your granddaughter, your living breathing granddaughter, as more important than a 6 week old embryo.
    A society that allows healthcare to be determined on what your granddaughter requires, not dependant on whether she is pregnant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Thanks for proving my point about your MO again for me by the way. Ignoring the posts I write to you, waiting some hours or days, then taking pot shots at posts I write to someone else. It is a rather clockwork cycle at this point.

this has never happened, i have only left 1 post of yours a long while before replying to it, and that's because i forgot about it, i replied to it when you reminded me of it. and i have proven none of your points.
    You dodged it a few times already by means of mere dismiss and retreat, but I repeat the thought experiment I offered to you earlier. If I build an GAI tomorrow, that is every bit (maybe even more so) as sentient and conscious as you....... and the only thing stopping it realizing that potential is the one switch........ then why would I have any moral obligation to flick that switch?

If a machine with no sentience, but the full potential for it, does not have a "right to become sentience" then why does a biological machine have it? Aside from the fact one is a machine made of silicon and the other a machine made of meat........... where does your imagined moral obligation suddenly manifest from? You have not grounded it in ANYTHING so far. Ever.

i dodged nothing. your comparison isn't viable or valid given that a machine is not living and artificial intelegence is just that. a human being on the other hand is living and alive, and a human person will develop from the embryo. therefore to insure the human person has the best chance of developing from the embryo, we give the embryo protection as much as is practical.

My point exactly, thanks. I just said that. The difference between the fact THAT abortion is introduced and HOW it is introduced is a massive one. Not just in abortion. The same issues come up in threads on, say, legalized prostitution. People against prostitution rush to point to jurisdictions where the introduction of it had bad effects. But what they fail to do is show that the introduction of prostitution caused the detrimental effect. It was HOW it was introduced that did it.

So you would get little fight from me there! Should you lose all the votes and so forth to prevent abortion-by-choice reaching Ireland........... You would in fact find me standing beside you on the front lines fighting TOGETHER to ensure abortion is introduced in such a way as to avoid such things happen. Both in terms of introducing it correctly, and ensuring that it's introduction is not used to take AWAY from initiatives and procedures and resources that otherwise are a benefit to society.

But it is baby and bath water stuff. That the poor introduction of a new resource or service can have bad effects is not, and never should be, an argument for not introducing that resource or service AT ALL. And you would do well not to lose sight of the common ground that lies under both you and yours, and me and mine, when it comes to abortion.

But you are..... willfully I suspect........ rather vague about what "systems" got worse and why in your rhetoric here. Feel free to expand on it with actual specifics, rather than doomsayer hand waving.

the reality is that british and irish political culture does not allow for abortion on demand and a better system. they are just not compatible. such political culture barely allows for any sort of a decent system, hence we don't have it. however with abortion on demand our system would get worse and britain's systems in many cases have got worse as it's assumed people will just have abortions.
    Speak for yourself I guess. You certainly are not describing me or anyone I know with this assertion. Everyone I know, myself included, pursue the ideal of not just having abortion by choice.... but having any and all initiatives possible to reduce (to zero preferably and ideally) the number of people who ever seek to have one!

But I do not buy the narrative that the introduction of a new service kills the incentive to improve. We have over the years invented many medical treatments for poor health. Heart Bypass surgery jumps to mind. But there are still many people working on improving standards of health and fitness and living and well being so as to reduce the number of people who ever have to have one. Many do not sit back and say "Ah no need to improve the health of the nation, sure they can just have surgery if they need it".

again the political culture.
    WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Never in my days have I seen any law or legal writing that could interpret that the pre-sentient have the right to be protected in order to become sentient. Never. You literally just made that up.

Of course, if you posted that in your opinion, the pre-sentient should be protected, that's a different matter. However you are stating it to be legal fact, when it isn't.
    no, i made nothing up. the reality is the irish constitution gives protection to the unborn "as much as is practical" therefore defacto it has a right to become sentient and to live, unless there are extreme circumstances which mean it should not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

this has never happened, i have only left 1 post of yours a long while before replying to it, and that's because i forgot about it, i replied to it when you reminded me of it.

No. You did not. You still have not replied to it at all. I can identify a number of posts where this is simply a lie too. If you want me to do this, just ask. Happy to do it for you. I can list all the posts that prove the lie you have just told here that you replied to them all. Call me on it. I dare you.
    i dodged nothing.

Nothing except the things I listed that you did. You dodge the question about the GAI for one. You simply did not answer it then, just like you are not answering it now.
    your comparison isn't viable or valid given that a machine is not living and artificial intelegence is just that.

What has "living" got to do with it. Nothing in science or philosophy suggests that GAI is not possible or that it can only run on a system that is "living". The idea that something needs to be "living" to be sentient is a fantasy you have just made up, and there is absolutely ZERO evidence for it.

And the reason you are making it up is clear, to dodge the question again. Because you know as well as I do that the concept something capable of sentience has a right to become sentient is similarly made up. Nothing has the rights to become sentient, nor should it based on any argument you have ever offered.
    the reality is that british and irish political culture does not allow for abortion on demand and a better system. they are just not compatible

You really are trotting out the assertions today, none of them backed up by anything. There is nothing to say a better system and abortion by choice are not compatible. You are, once again, making it up.

It is perfectly possible to allow for abortion, while also supporting and improving every possible initiative that reduces the requirement to ever seek one. Improving the quality and range of contraception is one. Improving sex education in the schools and offering it EARLIER is another. I personally think contraception should be a VAT free item. The social structures around parenthood could be improved too. Compare Germany to Ireland for examples of systematic changes that could be distilled out to massively improve things.

The list goes on of things we could do to improve the system and, outside your active fantasy world, NONE of them would be in any way hampered or curtailed by having an all access abortion service in our country.
    however with abortion on demand our system would get worse and britain's systems in many cases have got worse as it's assumed people will just have abortions.

I just addressed that, but thanks for ignoring my points again. I recognize there is a difference between the fact of abortion being implemented, and the quality of HOW it is implemented. You believe it can not be introduced in a good way. But aside from assertion of that fantasy, you have not offered a SHRED of backup for it. Anywhere. At all. Ever.
    no, i made nothing up.

Nothing except all the things I pointed out that you did. I am not sure anyone is buying this Trumpesque fake news approach of simply describing reality as the opposite of what it is. Things you made up are there in black and white, but you claim not to have done it. Multiple posts are there that you demonstrably did not reply to, yet you claim to have replied to them all. There is a litany of simple distortions of reality in your posts where you claim the EXACT opposite of what black and white evidence shows to be true. And this is not healthy.
    the reality is the irish constitution gives protection to the unborn "as much as is practical" therefore defacto it has a right to become sentient and to live, unless there are extreme circumstances which mean it should not.

Ehhhh, do keep up. We are on a thread discussing CHANGING That constitution remember. Last time I checked I was discussing what the constitution and society in my view should be saying and doing. Telling me what you think it CURRENTLY is saying and doing is somewhat talking past me therefore.

no, i made nothing up. the reality is the irish constitution gives protection to the unborn "as much as is practical" therefore defacto it has a right to become sentient and to live, unless there are extreme circumstances which mean it should not.

Please quote exactly where in the constitution it says specifically that the pre-sentient have the right to be protected in order to become sentient. I want to see the exact writing.

Because as I said previously, the bolded is your intepretation, not the actual reality/law/fact.

If you cannot quote a piece of law stating that specifically, we'll have to agree that you just made it up, and its actually just your interpretation/opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

bubblypop wrote: »
    I can only assume you would wish for a society that treats your granddaughter, your living breathing granddaughter, as more important than a 6 week old embryo.

I can understand why you would assume that from your perspective, but if you were actually really to look at things from my perspective, you wouldn't have come to that conclusion. I would wish for a society that would value them both equally, and as eviltwin points out - that's a utopian ideal, but that shouldn't mean I should just give up on working towards that goal. To that end, obviously you and I are going to have different values that we instill in our children and would hope to be around long enough to instill in our grandchildren. Hell for reasons that aren't particularly relevant here, at one point I didn't even imagine I would be alive to see my own child grow up, let alone entertain the possibility that one day I might meet my grandchildren.

A society that allows healthcare to be determined on what your granddaughter requires, not dependant on whether she is pregnant or not.

I would wish for a society in which a system of healthcare existed which at it's core was the principle of determining not just what my granddaughter would require, but what I believe is required to benefit society as a whole, not just the individual, whether they are pregnant or not. So I wonder about things for example like what if my granddaughter were disabled in some way, would she be given the opportunities that would allow her to fully participate in and contribute to society, or would she be institutionalised because the argument being that she never should have been born in the first place? Would she be prohibited from reproducing if she were known to be a carrier of the gene for Cystic Fibrosis for example?

I agree with people when they say the 8th amendment has far more reaching consequences for women, but I don't believe that applies just to women, I believe it applies to society as a whole, and I have so, so many moral and ethical questions and conflicts that I have to try and find answers for. You can't answer these questions for me, nobody can answer these questions for anyone else but themselves, and then it is up to each of us to act according to the best answers our conscience can provide, because nobody else but us as individuals will have to live with the consequences of our decisions, and only at some point in the future can we answer the question as to whether we were right or wrong to make the decisions we did, and whether or not we can continue to live with the consequences.

I won't be backed into a corner, or made to feel guilty for that, or shamed or guilt tripped for what decisions I make, either by you or anyone else, either on this thread or offline, I can tell you now that because I'm not an immature teenager, your efforts simply won't work. You and others can continue to pick holes and nit-pick at what I've said all you want, but none of that will change the fact that at least I know what I meant, and I will continue to work towards that goal, regardless of the outcome of any referendum on the 8th amendment.

No. You did not. You still have not replied to it at all. I can identify a number of posts where this is simply a lie too. If you want me to do this, just ask. Happy to do it for you. I can list all the posts that prove the lie you have just told here that you replied to them all. Call me on it. I dare you.

i have never told a lie on this site in my years here. so i will thank you not to accuse me of doing so. i replied to your posts.
    Nothing except the things I listed that you did. You dodge the question about the GAI for one. You simply did not answer it then, just like you are not answering it now.

i didn't dodge it, it's simply not relevant.
    What has "living" got to do with it. Nothing in science or philosophy suggests that GAI is not possible or that it can only run on a system that is "living". The idea that something needs to be "living" to be sentient is a fantasy you have just made up, and there is absolutely ZERO evidence for it.

And the reason you are making it up is clear, to dodge the question again. Because you know as well as I do that the concept something capable of sentience has a right to become sentient is similarly made up. Nothing has the rights to become sentient, nor should it based on any argument you have ever offered.

i haven't made anything up. the unborn have a right to life in this country whether you agree with it or not.
    You really are trotting out the assertions today, none of them backed up by anything. There is nothing to say a better system and abortion by choice are not compatible. You are, once again, making it up.

It is perfectly possible to allow for abortion, while also supporting and improving every possible initiative that reduces the requirement to ever seek one. Improving the quality and range of contraception is one. Improving sex education in the schools and offering it EARLIER is another. I personally think contraception should be a VAT free item. The social structures around parenthood could be improved too. Compare Germany to Ireland for examples of systematic changes that could be distilled out to massively improve things.

The list goes on of things we could do to improve the system and, outside your active fantasy world, NONE of them would be in any way hampered or curtailed by having an all access abortion service in our country.

the political culture of ireland means that legislating for abortion and improving the systems are not compatible as the government grudgingly spend money on systems as it is . with abortion on demand they can just sweep the issues under the carpet as their stanc will be "shur they can have an abortion" . an all access abortion on demand service isn't viable for the state and therefore extending the extreme circumstances by where abortion is necessary is the best way forward to insure necessary abortions are able to be had, and non-necessary ones won't be provided or funded within the state.

I just addressed that, but thanks for ignoring my points again. I recognize there is a difference between the fact of abortion being implemented, and the quality of HOW it is implemented. You believe it can not be introduced in a good way. But aside from assertion of that fantasy, you have not offered a SHRED of backup for it. Anywhere. At all. Ever.

i have offered plenty of it throughout the thread when the specific issue has arisen.
    Nothing except all the things I pointed out that you did. I am not sure anyone is buying this Trumpesque fake news approach of simply describing reality as the opposite of what it is. Things you made up are there in black and white, but you claim not to have done it. Multiple posts are there that you demonstrably did not reply to, yet you claim to have replied to them all. There is a litany of simple distortions of reality in your posts where you claim the EXACT opposite of what black and white evidence shows to be true. And this is not healthy.

i have never engaged in any of what you claim. i have done nothing but debate in good faith.
    Ehhhh, do keep up. We are on a thread discussing CHANGING That constitution remember. Last time I checked I was discussing what the constitution and society in my view should be saying and doing. Telling me what you think it CURRENTLY is saying and doing is somewhat talking past me therefore.

i disagree.
    WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Please quote exactly where in the constitution it says specifically that the pre-sentient have the right to be protected in order to become sentient. I want to see the exact writing.

Because as I said previously, the bolded is your intepretation, not the actual reality/law/fact.

If you cannot quote a piece of law stating that specifically, we'll have to agree that you just made it up, and its actually just your interpretation/opinion.

for you to agree that i made it up, i would have had to have made it up, or claimed it. the fact is the right to become sentient is a defacto right rather then a specific right, given that the unborn have a right to be protected as per the constitution.

• Advertisement

for you to agree that i made it up, i would have had to have made it up, or claimed it. the fact is the right to become sentient is a defacto right rather then a specific right, given that the unborn have a right to be protected as per the constitution.

Ok, please quote where exactly the constitution clarifies between the pre-sentient and sentient and the bit about the right to protection in order to become sentient?

i have offered plenty of it throughout the thread when the specific issue has arisen. i have never engaged in any of what you claim. i have done nothing but debate in good faith.
    i have never told a lie on this site in my years here. so i will thank you not to accuse me of doing so. i replied to your posts.

No. You did not. You seem to be lying again. But let us check shall we? Accusations of dishonesty are baseless insults unless they are backed up with fact. And I like to back my claims up with fact.

Lets see what a mere 300 seconds on the search utility can throw up. Shall we? I did this quick so maybe one or two errors on my part which I apologize for but lets check them anyway.........

Where are your replies to #2369 #2519 #2583?

Then after taking shots at some posts to other people where is your reply to my #4060? #4239? #4409?

I am not seeing them. Direct me to them please. Because while I acknowledge no one on this forum is forced or obliged to respond to anyone, I am noticing a rather rude MO from you here where you open conversation, ignore the reply, wait a few hours or days, then open a new conversation containing ALL THE SAME assertions that were rebutted in the previous reply you ignored.

Conversation can not work like that.
    i didn't dodge it, it's simply not relevant.

You are dodging it by merely asserting it is not relevant without A) answering the question asked or B) explaining how it is not relevant.

A machine, biological or artificial, that is capable of sentience are both machines capable of sentience. Yet you claim, it seems, that one has a right to become sentient but the other does not. So:

A) What makes you think it has this right except mere assertion it has this right?

B) What gives one that right but not the other. Why does "alive" have anything to do with it if both are sentient, or capable of being sentient?
    the political culture of ireland means that legislating for abortion and improving the systems are not compatible as the government grudgingly spend money on systems as it is.

I asked you to back up the assertion, not repeat it at me. You do know the difference right, between backing up a claim and merely repeating the same claim again? I do hope so.

However if there is a problem (real or imagined) with the political climate, then work to improve the political climate. Simples.

But the economics at play here are likely much more complicated than you might want to pretend. For example what are the relative costs between giving 10,000 women the abortion they seek, or helping at a state level to support those 10,000 women in the financial burdens of raising the unwanted child?

Something tells me one is FAR cheaper than the other, and would free up resources to improve the political climate you are imagining.
    with abortion on demand they can just sweep the issues under the carpet as their stanc will be

And that is lazy and intellectually bankrupt thinking by you. Doing the right thing should be done even if it leads to people doing OTHER things bad. If doing X means the government will attempt to sweep Y and Z under the carpet, then it is up to us the electorate to not LET them sweep Y and Z under the carpet.

Simple as that.

But on top of that the simple fact is that allowing many women the abortion they desire will target and eliminate some of the problems you think are being swept under the carpet. That does not mean those problems go away, and can be ignored. But it is a step to addressing many of them in a powerful and useful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I can understand why you would assume that from your perspective, but if you were actually really to look at things from my perspective, you wouldn't have come to that conclusion. I would wish for a society that would value them both equally, and as eviltwin points out - that's a utopian ideal, but that shouldn't mean I should just give up on working towards that goal. To that end, obviously you and I are going to have different values that we instill in our children and would hope to be around long enough to instill in our grandchildren. Hell for reasons that aren't particularly relevant here, at one point I didn't even imagine I would be alive to see my own child grow up, let alone entertain the possibility that one day I might meet my grandchildren.

I would wish for a society in which a system of healthcare existed which at it's core was the principle of determining not just what my granddaughter would require, but what I believe is required to benefit society as a whole, not just the individual, whether they are pregnant or not. So I wonder about things for example like what if my granddaughter were disabled in some way, would she be given the opportunities that would allow her to fully participate in and contribute to society, or would she be institutionalised because the argument being that she never should have been born in the first place? Would she be prohibited from reproducing if she were known to be a carrier of the gene for Cystic Fibrosis for example?

I agree with people when they say the 8th amendment has far more reaching consequences for women, but I don't believe that applies just to women, I believe it applies to society as a whole, and I have so, so many moral and ethical questions and conflicts that I have to try and find answers for. You can't answer these questions for me, nobody can answer these questions for anyone else but themselves, and then it is up to each of us to act according to the best answers our conscience can provide, because nobody else but us as individuals will have to live with the consequences of our decisions, and only at some point in the future can we answer the question as to whether we were right or wrong to make the decisions we did, and whether or not we can continue to live with the consequences.

I won't be backed into a corner, or made to feel guilty for that, or shamed or guilt tripped for what decisions I make, either by you or anyone else, either on this thread or offline, I can tell you now that because I'm not an immature teenager, your efforts simply won't work. You and others can continue to pick holes and nit-pick at what I've said all you want, but none of that will change the fact that at least I know what I meant, and I will continue to work towards that goal, regardless of the outcome of any referendum on the 8th amendment.

And what if your granddaughter just doesn't want to be pregnant? What then?

I agree with people when they say the 8th amendment has far more reaching consequences for women, but I don't believe that applies just to women, I believe it applies to society as a whole

The only way I can see that it applies to society as a whole is that it allows women to be treated as second class citizens in our society.

I asked you to back up the assertion, not repeat it at me. You do know the difference right, between backing up a claim and merely repeating the same claim again? I do hope so.

However if there is a problem (real or imagined) with the political climate, then work to improve the political climate. Simples.

But the economics at play here are likely much more complicated than you might want to pretend. For example what are the relative costs between giving 10,000 women the abortion they seek, or helping at a state level to support those 10,000 women in the financial burdens of raising the unwanted child?

Something tells me one is FAR cheaper than the other, and would free up resources to improve the political climate you are imagining.

And that is lazy and intellectually bankrupt thinking by you. Doing the right thing should be done even if it leads to people doing OTHER things bad. If doing X means the government will attempt to sweep Y and Z under the carpet, then it is up to us the electorate to not LET them sweep Y and Z under the carpet.

Simple as that.

But on top of that the simple fact is that allowing many women the abortion they desire will target and eliminate some of the problems you think are being swept under the carpet. That does not mean those problems go away, and can be ignored. But it is a step to addressing many of them in a powerful and useful way.

abortion on demand is not a solution to target and eliminate problems, it is likely to cause them. abortion on demand is a solution looking for problems.
    eviltwin wrote: »

she will either have to go to a state which does offer abortion on demand, or if not then wait until the child is born and put it up for adoption. at the end of the day, we all want things in life that sometimes we just can't have. either because we can't afford it, or because giving it to us would effect society. i understand that stance sounds a bit unfair, but unfortunately the issue of abortion on demand in general is by it's nature unfair.

Ignoring the first half of my post and most of the rest of it then? You claimed to have replied to my posts, and took exception when I called that claim a lie. Can you please direct me to the replies you JUST claimed right now you wrote? To posts #2369 #2519 #2583 #4060 #4239 #4409?
    abortion on demand is not a solution to target and eliminate problems

Except yes it is. It is not THE solution to those problems. It is A solution to them. It should not and can not be the exclusive one. But it is an option in what should be a suite of options for people experiencing an unwanted/crisis pregnancy.

There is no reason on offer on this thread for why it should not be a solution or option other than your fantastical invention of the "Right to become sentient" which you are engaging in any number of linguistic acrobatics to dodge supporting or substantiating in even the smallest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

abortion on demand is not a solution to target and eliminate problems, it is likely to cause them. abortion on demand is a solution looking for problems.

she will either have to go to a state which does offer abortion on demand, or if not then wait until the child is born and put it up for adoption. at the end of the day, we all want things in life that sometimes we just can't have. either because we can't afford it, or because giving it to us would effect society. i understand that stance sounds a bit unfair, but unfortunately the issue of abortion on demand in general is by it's nature unfair.

We all know what you think and we all know the disgusting comments you make when you lose the argument. I would like to know jacks answer to the question. I asked him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's hilarious that EOTR can answer the questions put to other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Tell us Mystic Meg, what kind of problems do you foresee?

Possible reduced birth rates- Not a bad thing in an overpopulated world.
    Possible educed number of families and single mothers claiming benefits from the state.
    Possible reduced number of children put into care.
    Possible reduced strain on maternity and health care services.

What problems does offering abortion as a choice cause?

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting to see a source for the piece of the constitution he's talking about. I presume the delay in his reply is because it simply doesn't exist.

Except yes it is. It is not THE solution to those problems. It is A solution to them. It should not and can not be the exclusive one. But it is an option in what should be a suite of options for people experiencing an unwanted/crisis pregnancy.

There is no reason on offer on this thread for why it should not be a solution or option other than your fantastical invention of the "Right to become sentient" which you are engaging in any number of linguistic acrobatics to dodge supporting or substantiating in even the smallest way.

there is no reason for an abortion on demand to be a right or to be offered as a solution to problems within this state, when there are far better ways to solve that problem. abortion on demand isn't needed in ireland and is a solution looking for a problem.
    we can have a suite of options for people experiencing an unwanted/crisis pregnancy without offering the killing of the unborn as part of it.
    ....... wrote: »

abortion on demand is never okay. but the reality is people will travel abroad to procure it, and it isn't viable to stop them, given that the burdin of proof expected would go beyond that, of which it is reasonable to expect the authorities to provide, due to the evidence being hard to get.
    We all know what you think and we all know the disgusting comments you make when you lose the argument.

no, you know what you want my points to say and are unhahppy that they don't say what you want them to say. the reality is that the 2 choices are allow for the killing of the unborn outside extreme and necessary circumstances, or have someone cary the child. if there was an option where someone didn't have to cary the child and the unborn didn't have to be killed, that would be the best outcome.
    not allowing the killing of the unborn on demand maybe "disgusting" to you, but killing the unborn outside extreme circumstances is disgusting to me. ultimately i have to make the choice i believe to be best for society long term, and that is grudgingly voting no to repeal on the grounds that i believe legislating for abortion on demand to be the wrong option for ireland. if the government were to extend the current legislation that allows abortion in limited circumstances to cover any other extreme and necessary circumstance with no legislation for abortion on demand, then i would gladly vote repeal.
    pilly wrote: »
    It's hilarious that EOTR can answer the questions put to other posters.

i have answered those put to me as well.

Possible reduced birth rates- Not a bad thing in an overpopulated world.

the over-population argument is a bit of a red herring really as parts of the world are actually becoming under-populated, and it's not viable to simply bring people from the populated parts to those parts that are under-populated.
    Possible educed number of families and single mothers claiming benefits from the state.

could be done by encouraging greater job opportunities and investment, which would actually bring benefits to society.
    Possible reduced number of children put into care.

not a valid reason for abortion on demand. essentially saying "it's aweful we have children in care so lets kill them before they are born instead"
    of course it's aweful that we have children in care, but simply killing them off before they are born isn't the answer to that problem. looking at the reasons they are in care and dealing with those is the better option.
    Possible reduced strain on maternity and health care services.

again abortion on demand isn't the solution to that, given that with people coming to ireland, we may end up with more birthrates anyway.

Still Ignoring then? You claimed to have replied to my posts, and took exception when I called that claim a lie. Can you please direct me to the replies you JUST claimed right now you wrote? To posts #2369 #2519 #2583 #4060 #4239 #4409?
    there is no reason for an abortion on demand to be a right or to be offered as a solution to problems within this state

Except all the reasons people have listed throughout the thread. Especially the fact that a sentient agent, for whole we should have moral and ethical concern, should not have their rights curtailed by a blob of non sentient matter inside their own body.

And the ONLY rebuttal you have for that fact is to invent a "right to become sentient which you are engaging in any number of linguistic acrobatics to dodge supporting or substantiating in even the smallest way.
    when there are far better ways to solve that problem

Aside from abortion what "better ways" exist to allow a woman who does not want to be pregnant, to not be pregnant? I can not wait to hear these better ways, especially as they are "far better" according to you. List them please.

It seems "far better" means far better for YOU not for them. And I doubt they, or I, should be judging what is better for THEM, based on what is nice for YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Then as I said earlier I would help her in any way I could.

Because I understand though that these situations don't simply arise out of nothing, I would have already attempted to work towards a society where she would never find herself in that position in the first place. Idealistic? Absolutely. Impossible? Certainly not.

bubblypop wrote: »
    The only way I can see that it applies to society as a whole is that it allows women to be treated as second class citizens in our society.

Ohh far, far, faaaaar from it bubblypop, and this is exactly what I mean when other posters here have implied that I don't care about women.

Absolutely nothing could be further from the truth, and that's why I don't like this argument either that assumes that because a young girl may currently be in a position where she feels she is unable to care for a child, and the further assumption that both she and her child would be a burden on the State - in my experience at least, that simply isn't true, and when young women are given the opportunity, not only are they incredibly resourceful, but they are more than capable not only of creating opportunities for themselves, but they are more than capable of raising children who themselves in turn also contribute greatly to society, and are not seen as the 'second class citizens', or the burden on the State that some people see them as or make them out to be to bolster their arguments as to why those women shouldn't have children.

Everything, that is, except for allowing them the option they actually seek. Which is to take a non-sentient piece of biology out of their own bodies as should be their right. All on the notion that such a blob should have a right to life for no other reason that the Feelz of it.

Just because some single women can make it on their own in such situations, through ingenuity or resourcefulness does not mean A) They all do B) That their own hopes and dreams and life plans have been curtailed or destroyed or C) that they should be expected to just because someone else did/could.

because from what i understand, the person admitted to procuring an abortion.

of course not, but the evidence for an average murder is possible to get, unlike that for an abortion, which is hugely difficult to get and to prove such that a successful prosecution could take place.

a urine test alone would not constitute sufficient evidence.

but it would have been impossible to bring about a successful prosecution anyway, given that the evidence would not be sufficient.

• Advertisement

Indeed, there does seem to be an error going around that it means financial. There is a whole swath of meaning hidden behind "socio-economic".

Worse there seems to be an assumption that the ones that ARE "financial" in nature automatically means they are financially challenged.

This is not always the case. There are motivations from the other end of the financial spectrum, which would cause a woman to seek an abortion. They may be in an incredibly well paid job, their commitment and dedication to which precludes having and/or wanting a family.

There is a LOT more going on behind the term "socio-economic" than some seem to want to pretend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement