Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia elected to the UN Commission on the status of women

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so perverse. The UN is a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

And from internal insurrection.

Once the oil runs out, and their money they've invested in the West, the House of Saud is screwed.

Back to desert and raising camels for them at best. Or death at worst.
    Heard a great quote that a Saudi oil baron is supposed to have said.

"My grandfather rode a camel.
    My father drove Mercedes.
    I drive Rolls Royce.
    My son drives Mercedes.
    His son will ride camel".

That day can't come quick enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Em.. no. They probably think they're leading us by example. They need to be treated the same way South Africa was for its behaviour.
    So isolate and look down at them? I'm sure they'll love that and change their minds immediately. To me that seems a bit like giving out to someone for not reading a book but refusing to sell them the book.

There's no way they'll lead the rest of the world by example, even they must know that the west see's them as backwards when it comes to human rights. They'd be laughed at if they tried to persuade western countries to be more like them.

This allows them to witness the process of bringing about equality. It's not like we've even gotten it perfect yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

ScumLord wrote: »
    So isolate and look down at them? I'm sure they'll love that and change their minds immediately. To me that seems a bit like giving out to someone for not reading a book but refusing to sell them the book.

There's no way they'll lead the rest of the world by example, even they must know that the west see's them as backwards when it comes to human rights. They'd be laughed at if they tried to persuade western countries to be more like them.

This allows them to witness the process of bringing about equality. It's not like we've even gotten it perfect yet.

Saudi Arabia do read the book, it is the koran/quran and they would burn any book that tells them to do anything different to their Wahhabism form of Islam.

They will not change one iota by being on the commission for the rights of women.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yes, an very enlightened and well motivated UN.
    Is that why the vote was kept secret and the 5 EU states that voted for Saudi Arabia are not being disclosed? Why not? We are entitled to know who these five are.
    What is wrong with a secret ballot? The UN is beyond a joke at this stage.

Considering Theresa May was there on a controversial visit recently I think it's fair to assume the UK was one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RobertKK wrote: »
    In case one did not know the UN is a joke, here is another example.
    Saudi Arabia has been elected to the sit on the UN commission on the status of women.
    The UN commission in question is responsible for gender equality and the empowerment of women.

In Saudi Arabia, a woman needs a male guardian with her to leave her home, and needs the guardians permission to marry, travel, get medical help and do business.
    Women are not allowed to vote or be involved in politics.

Saudi Arabia also sits on the UN commission for human rights.

One could not make this up.
    Shame on the UN.

I think it is more shocking that you are shocked.
    This is the same UN that has peacekeeping troops raping women.

This the same UN that decades ago abandoned helpless people to be raped and murdered in numerous countries.
    If you want to see how bad the UN is then why not read about the Bosnian conflict or worse still read about Rwanda and the aftermath in the UN refugee camps in Zaire where hutu mass murderers were in control.

The UN has been a joke for a long long time which operates at the behest of those on the security council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Fundamentally what is wrong with this?
    The UN is all-inclusive. Saudi Arabia's views on the status of women may not agree with yours, but their perspective is as entitled to be heard or have input as much as any other country - more possibly if their view is considered a minority one. It is great that the UN is not prejudicial on this point, and does include all views in commissions on such important issues. Their inclusion suggests an enlightened and well motivated UN - certainly not a joke organisation as you suggest.

What a load of codswallop. Inclusion my arse. We are not talking about some minor differences between men and women here, we are talking about limited rights for a gender. That one gender has more right than another because of chance, is insane, not just a difference of opinion. Imagine I were to have more rights than you based on my family name, or where I was born or the color of my eyes. That's how stupid this ideology is. It's a stone aged concept which encourages a stone aged mentality. It breeds ignorance imo. Even women in Saudi Arabia are against inequality as they believe the way they live is the closest thing to "pure islam". Cuz equality = western ideology and the west is evil, mmmkay?

Women in Saudi Arabia cannot make important decisions for themselves, they cannot travel abroad, marry, work or in some cases, seek medical assistance without the permission of their owner guardian.

"In July 2013, King Fahd hospital in Al Bahah postponed amputating a critically injured woman's hand because she had no male legal guardian to authorize the procedure. Her husband had died in the same car crash that left her and her daughter critically injured."

What kind of society allows spousal or statutory rape, or punishes the victim of rape? Let's not even go that extreme, what kind of society prohibits women from being in contact with strange men? I said earlier that Saudi Arabia has a stone age mentality, this is absolutely not fair to say as men and women were considered equal.

There's plenty more evidence to show why Saudi Arabia should not even be considered for this post.

You don't field your worst team and expect a good outcome. UN are trolling the entire world, they have some set of balls on them, that's for sure. Twats.

What a load of codswallop. Inclusion my arse. We are not talking about some minor differences between men and women here, we are talking about limited rights for a gender.
    But if you exclude them from the equality process how do you ever expect them to change?

The fact is modern capitalist societies required women to work, we needed the labour, a traditional family where the woman stays at home just isn't workable for a lot of people in the west.

I suppose Saudi imports slave labour so they can keep women out of the work force.

I think they need to be involved, even if the odds of them changing is slim it creates a chance that wouldn't exist otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Yes, an very enlightened and well motivated UN.
    Is that why the vote was kept secret and the 5 EU states that voted for Saudi Arabia are not being disclosed? Why not? We are entitled to know who these five are.
    What is wrong with a secret ballot? The UN is beyond a joke at this stage.

Secret ballot for voting is fairly standard. TBH it's best practice.

Glenster wrote: »
    Secret ballot for voting is fairly standard. TBH it's best practice.

Maybe, but surely the citizens of a country have a right to know what their government is voting on their behalf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

But if you exclude them from the equality process how do you ever expect them to change?

The fact is modern capitalist societies required women to work, we needed the labour, a traditional family where the woman stays at home just isn't workable for a lot of people in the west.

I suppose Saudi imports slave labour so they can keep women out of the work force.

I think they need to be involved, even if the odds of them changing is slim it creates a chance that wouldn't exist otherwise.

I didn't mean to imply that they should be excluded, but why the hell would you allow them to lead? They are the complete opposite of a role model. I thought the use of the word inclusion, was very ironic. Saudi Arabia doesn't even include their own citizens. They should at least be work on the inequalities in the country before being appointed to such a position.

Not everybody want's a traditional family. Removing that choice is absolutely not the correct way to go.

I didn't mean to imply that they should be excluded, but why the hell would you allow them to lead?
    Are they leading? As I read it they're part of a committee. That would make them equal members, they can make suggestions and vote on action but they can't force anyone to do anything. Depending on the other members they'll likely be along for the ride. I've been on committees, they can be diverse and are often a good way of softening hardline views because the committee has to end up with an agreement.
    They are the complete opposite of a role model.
    I don't think anyone is expecting them to be role models.

Either we include them in the process or we exclude them and basically let them carry on as normal. What's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What's the alternative?

A cultural and sporting boycott would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Thats what the US does when they disagree with anyone.

Really nobody should be suprised by this, the US does not care about human rights abuses, aslong as you are some way useful to them they don't care what what abuses you have committed, it's nothing new they supported dictators like Pinochet, Saddam Hussien & even defended the right of the Khemer Rouge to have a seat at the UN. This whole foreign policy of "my enemies enemy, is my friend" has totally failed. Saudis are an enemy of Iran that makes them a friend of the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Thats what the US does when they disagree with anyone.

Really nobody should be suprised by this, the US does not care about human rights abuses, aslong as you are some way useful to them they don't care what what abuses you have committed, it's nothing new they supported dictators like Pinochet, Saddam Hussien & even defended the right of the Khemer Rouge to have a seat at the UN. This whole foreign policy of "my enemies enemy, is my friend" has totally failed. Saudis are an enemy of Iran that makes them a friend of the US.

And Oil. And the $3 trillion that the Saudi's have invested in the US economy.

Well that also helps alot yeah.

Well that also helps alot yeah.

When both run out, and they will, the Yanks will drop them faster than lead **** filled balloon.

A cultural and sporting boycott would be a good start.
    I wouldn't be opposed to a boycott, a full on one from government level, because the end consumers don't buy a lot directly as far as I know.

I really don't see that happening though, we want/need their oil. The rich go there on holiday, maybe start boycotting anyone that goes there and promotes that fact.

Saudi will run out of resources, and like Ulysses Gaze says we'll all drop them like lead balloons.

But I don't like half measures, if we're going to continue to appease them to get access to their resources, including them in our equality processes is the only way to encourage any kind of change.

The other problem is the saudi leadership will probably survive their country going into the gutter, they'll have invested enough money to keep them in lamborghini's long after the oil has run out. So we have little to hold over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There's also tens-of-billions of USD's worth of weapons sales to Saudi Arabia to consider.

I wouldn't be opposed to a boycott, a full on one from government level, because the end consumers don't buy a lot directly as far as I know.

I really don't see that happening though, we want/need their oil. The rich go there on holiday, maybe start boycotting anyone that goes there and promotes that fact.

Saudi will run out of resources, and like Ulysses Gaze says we'll all drop them like lead balloons.

But I don't like half measures, if we're going to continue to appease them to get access to their resources, including them in our equality processes is the only way to encourage any kind of change.

The other problem is the saudi leadership will probably survive their country going into the gutter, they'll have invested enough money to keep them in lamborghini's long after the oil has run out. So we have little to hold over them.

There are 15,000-20,000 members of the Royal Family in Saudi.

They'll burn through their post-oil resources quickly because they will not be able to rein in their spending.

They won the geological lottery and could have changed the world for the better - could have advanced science and technology for the benefit of mankind. Instead they buy supercars and fund terror.

And they won't have a pot to piss in soon.

• Advertisement

When both run out, and they will, the Yanks will drop them faster than lead **** filled balloon.

I wouldn't be suprised if they do.

Just like they dropped Saddam after he stopped becoming useful to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

What a load of codswallop. Inclusion my arse. We are not talking about some minor differences between men and women here, we are talking about limited rights for a gender.

The UN is there to hear all voices. Sure, they arent minor differences. But you cannot ignore those he believe there should be large differences between the rights for both sexes just because you are of an alternate view. The mission of the UN is to include all nations, cultures, religions and views - not to exclude. It is the UNITED nations.
    Have some cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

The UN is irrelevant, hasn't been for decades. Its just becoming too weak to even hide it anymore.

It was a club setup to stop war, and from the very beginning it failed.

The further down the path we follow the UN and its absurdity, the worse off we'll be.

The first few off the sinking ship will get the life raft.

pangbang wrote: »
    The UN is irrelevant, hasn't been for decades. Its just becoming too weak to even hide it anymore.

It was a club setup to stop war, and from the very beginning it failed.

The further down the path we follow the UN and its absurdity, the worse off we'll be.

The first few off the sinking ship will get the life raft.

It is just a more convoluted and bureaucratic League of Nations.

About the same success rate in stopping conflict as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Irish foreign minister Charles Flanagan refuses to say if Ireland was one of the 5 European countries that voted for Saudi Arabia to be on the UN women's rights commission.

He should clear it up despite it not being the norm to disclose votes.
    We should know for transparency reasons.

There are 15,000-20,000 members of the Royal Family in Saudi.

They'll burn through their post-oil resources quickly because they will not be able to rein in their spending.
    That's very possible, but the guys who have bought property in some of the most expensive places in the world should always have enough to live off. Those fancy cars they buy are often worth more second hand than what they paid for them too. Just selling off their cars would give them millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Christy42

RobertKK wrote: »
    Irish foreign minister Charles Flanagan refuses to say if Ireland was one of the 5 European countries that voted for Saudi Arabia to be on the UN women's rights commission.

He should clear it up despite it not being the norm to disclose votes.
    We should know for transparency reasons.

As much as I disagree with the decision unless there is a general agreement to discuss what was a private vote he should keep quiet.

This decision to make this public should be made in agreement with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

It is just a more convoluted and bureaucratic League of Nations.

About the same success rate in stopping conflict as well.

Yes definitely. Lets see the League of Nations collapsed and we had the most brutal conflict in the history of man. The United Nations was founded and we live in the most peaceful period of recorded history.

Totes the same.

Christy42 wrote: »
    As much as I disagree with the decision unless there is a general agreement to discuss what was a private vote he should keep quiet.

This decision to make this public should be made in agreement with others.

Belgium revealed their vote and the PM offered a public apology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

They won the geological lottery and could have changed the world for the better - could have advanced science and technology for the benefit of mankind. Instead they buy supercars and fund terror.

They also spend a lot of money producing theology graduates.
    The UN is there to hear all voices. Sure, they arent minor differences. But you cannot ignore those he believe there should be large differences between the rights for both sexes just because you are of an alternate view. The mission of the UN is to include all nations, cultures, religions and views - not to exclude. It is the UNITED nations.
    Have some cop on.

I couldn't disagree more. The UN sets certain minimum standards..that's why we have the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. If you can't uphold these then to hell with you, The notion that women have no rights, isn't just "an alternate view", it's madness. demented zealotry.

Advertisement