Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we stop warning people about checkpoints?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Also, any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there a) has been a serious or fatal collision nearby b) is a complex junction ahead c) has heavy traffic at high speed merging

This post is the biggest load of nonsense i have ever read on boards.... And ive been in the conspiracy theory forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

jcd5971 wrote: »
    This post is the biggest load of nonsense i have ever read on boards.... And ive been in the conspiracy theory forum

You'd think you'd be able to conjure up a counter to it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

You'd think you'd be able to conjure up a counter to it so.

I have and so have others multiple times across the thread. Simply put i 100% don't believe your post is true. The 3 scenarios you outlined should be the criteria in selecting a speed trap but the reality is far far different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

osarusan wrote: »
    Any time I see those speed camera signs, I think that it should be necessary for another sign to be attached to the same pole that says what the speed limit is for the section of road that is covered by the cameras.

I think the point of it is you should be aware of the speed limit at all times, not just around speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Chuchote wrote: »
    Tisn't.

It'll work. People have the option of not speeding, though this will be a cultural shift.

The Gardaí are keeping a watching brief on this. If they bring it in too, hopefully they'll use the same policy for phone use in cars.

The Gardai can keep all the watching briefs they want, they don't decide legislation.

Have the Ministers for Justice or Transport commented on it?
    Not sure any of the current Govt would be willing to try something so potentially divisive

• Advertisement

Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure the equipment in speed vans requires a level and straight road to work properly. If I recall, it works by firing a laser at the vehicle and calculating speed based on the return time and the Doppler effect. The laser also has to strike a relatively flat and reflective surface to allow for the reflection.

Also, any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    a) has been a serious or fatal collision nearby
    b) is a complex junction ahead
    c) has heavy traffic at high speed merging

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with people flashing for speed vans. As far as I'm concerned it accomplishes the goal of slowing down the traffic. But I do find the arguments against speed vans a little lacking based on what I know of how they operate.

Last van i encountered was M6 westbound, just after J13 at Athlone.
    It was after passing the merge for the last Athlone exit, but approx 50m before the limit returned to 120.
    The next junction you'll encounter is Ballinasloe.

Only reason for that location was to catch people accelerating 100m earlier than they should. Ordinarily I would agree with what you've said RE the locations, but that one stood out as pretty bloody cynical.

Btw, The amount of cars baking in front of me gave plenty of notice of it, so didn't need anyone to flash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Glenster wrote: »
    I think the point of it is you should be aware of the speed limit at all times, not just around speed cameras.

Holier than thou much?

"Also, any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    c) has heavy traffic at high speed merging"

I don't know what part of the country you are in Little CuChulainn but down our way any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    a) is a soft €80 to be rode out of passing motorists
    b) the speed limits in the area are inappropriatly low for the road design and signage.
    c) is a handy gap to pull in and hide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

"Also, any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    c) has heavy traffic at high speed merging"

I don't know what part of the country you are in Little CuChulainn but down our way any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    a) is a soft €80 to be rode out of passing motorists
    b) the speed limits in the area are inappropriatly low for the road design and signage.
    c) is a handy gap to pull in and hide

Makes no odds. Drive the road, know the speed. Don't break the limit don't get caught speeding. Grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

KERSPLAT! wrote:
    Makes no odds. Drive the road, know the speed. Don't break the limit don't get caught speeding. Grand job.

I know a man renowned for being slow .... his wife would be a quick driver . She was making her way home from a walk one day . The husband ran to met her to give out about getting penalty points as the car was in his name . She told me the man never ran in his life .. As I said the man is a slow driver ...

2 weeks later he was caught speeding by a flash for cash van .

Point being breaking the speed can happen to the best of us even with good intentions....

What's happening these days your constantly concentration looking down at the speedo and looking out for vans on side of the road !!!

• Advertisement

The argument being put forward by the pro speedvan posters is that the traps are about catching the cowboys and making the road safer for everyone.

The unfortunate reality is that these vans arrange themselves not to catch the cowboys but to catch EVERYONE. I'm all in favour of weeding out the real speeders and dangerous drivers but cannot support these vans while their agenda is a blatant money grabbing scam being pawned off as a safety measure.

I am an unashamed flasher - except when I see a real speeder approaching. I only flash the cowboys when there is no van ahead.

Holier than thou much?

You're right, speed limits serve no purpose. 'The man' just arbitrarily decided to put them there to get you down.

And I'm being officious in saying that you should know what they are when you're driving.

The argument being put forward by the pro speedvan posters is that the traps are about catching the cowboys and making the road safer for everyone.

The unfortunate reality is that these vans arrange themselves not to catch the cowboys but to catch EVERYONE. I'm all in favour of weeding out the real speeders and dangerous drivers but cannot support these vans while their agenda is a blatant money grabbing scam being pawned off as a safety measure.

I am an unashamed flasher - except when I see a real speeder approaching. I only flash the cowboys when there is no van ahead.

I don't know what your definition of a cowboy is, and I don't care to know.

But I want everyone who is speeding to be fined. End of. Speeding is dangerous.

dev100 wrote: »
    I know a man renowned for being slow .... his wife would be a quick driver . She was making her way home from a walk one day . The husband ran to met her to give out about getting penalty points as the car was in his name . She told me the man never ran in his life .. As I said the man is a slow driver ...

2 weeks later he was caught speeding by a flash for cash van .

Point being breaking the speed can happen to the best of us even with good intentions....

What's happening these days your constantly concentration looking down at the speedo and looking out for vans on side of the road !!!

Obviously not then.

Break the speed limit suffer the consequences, it's really as simple as that. They aren't out to catch everyone. They are out to catch everyone that speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I saw someone warning about Gardai, Customs and Social Welfare checkpoint.

Do the Social Welfare be out stopping?
    Yeah, they have what they call multi-agency checkpoints.

Some agencies don't strictly have the powers to stop vehicles, so they piggyback on Garda checkpoints which is perfectly legal.

So in a single checkpoint you have Gardai doing their thing, Dept of Social Welfare looking for people out working who shouldn't be, and often Revenue & Customs get involved to dip fuel tanks and try and catch people moving stuff like cigarettes and booze around. The NTA also sometimes join in looking for unlicenced taxis and other transport violations.

One of the few great examples of joined up thinking and inter-agency co-operation within the civil service.

Maybe you can explain then how, by your reasoning, someone driving who drives this stretch of road every day at 90kmph 12 years ago was perfectly safe (and were actually doing 10kmph below the limit), but is now somehow a dangerous driver if they do the exact same thing on the same road - which now has significantly lower traffic volumes.
    An arbitrary change of the limit to encourage people to use a toll road means that something that was perfectly safe suddenly becomes dangerous?

Your "end of" clear-cut reasoning doesn't quite stack up to scrutiny.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.41797,-6.845137,3a,75y,288.37h,81.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so6lKSvWk6WY3Oi5fZSS5Ew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

blackwhite wrote: »
    Maybe you can explain then how, by your reasoning, someone driving who drives this stretch of road every day at 90kmph 12 years ago was perfectly safe (and were actually doing 10kmph below the limit), but is now somehow a dangerous driver if they do the exact same thing on the same road - which now has significantly lower traffic volumes.
    An arbitrary change of the limit to encourage people to use a toll road means that something that was perfectly safe suddenly becomes dangerous?

Your "end of" clear-cut reasoning doesn't quite stack up to scrutiny.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.41797,-6.845137,3a,75y,288.37h,81.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so6lKSvWk6WY3Oi5fZSS5Ew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Rules is rules.

I think taxes are too high and all goes on pensioners and scroungers, but I pay mine because its the law.

If you think the speed limit is too high/low the answer is to campaign against it, not to break it and whinge when you're fined.

and btw, complaining that the law is wrong when you're caught breaking it is what every criminal does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Before the speedvans every town had some drivers going through way too fast. It wasn't always safe for kids crossing the road.

They're still doing it when they know the speedvan is gone.

• Advertisement

Before the speedvans every town had some drivers going through way too fast. It wasn't always safe for kids crossing the road.

They're still doing it when they know the speedvan is gone.

Because pr1cks are flashing them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rules is rules.
    Among the scariest collection of words in the English language.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Among the scariest collection of words in the English language.

I'd consider these words far scarier.

Speeding is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Speeding is fine.
    Them words mean nothing without context.

For example do you think doing 31kmh in the city centre is ok?

Rules is rules.

I think taxes are too high and all goes on pensioners and scroungers, but I pay mine because its the law.

If you think the speed limit is too high/low the answer is to campaign against it, not to break it and whinge when you're fined.

and btw, complaining that the law is wrong when you're caught breaking it is what every criminal does.

But you said it breaking the limit in any circumstances is dangerous "end of".

Are you rowing back on that now?

And BTW - I've zero points - I can just see the difference between a speed check for safety reasons (i.e. the Garda van on N4 just before Liffey Valley junction - brings traffic down to a safer speed before the multitude of lane changes between Liffey Valley and the M50 junction) and a speed check that designed to catch people out (like the regular vans on the M6 in the 100m before the limit increases to 120, or on the streches of old "N" road that were reduced to 80 to push people onto toll roads).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Speeding is not always dangerous. Driving at an inappropriate speed may be.

On a narrow L road driving at a speed anywhere near the posted limit might be near lunacy.

Conversely I know of several locations where 60kmh limits were upped to 80kmh, including dual carriageway with a concrete traffic barrier in the median. Did passing a byelaw and changing a sign suddenly make it safe to drive 25% faster than previously considered safe or was the previous limit unreasonably low ?

Speed is not dangerous, inappropriate speed (and inattention) is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Speeding is fine.
    That's just illustrated and upped the scary for me. "Rules is rules" Versus "Speeding is fine". Have an oul wonder which three words have caused far more human misery.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I think you are all jumping on one quote. At the end of the day, don't break the speed limit and you won't get caught speeding. It really is as simple as that. If you speed then understand that there's a chance you may be caught.

i don't agree with the speed limits on all roads, some too high and some too low but they are in place and until changed they should be obeyed.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Them words mean nothing without context.

For example do you think doing 31kmh in the city centre is ok?

no. not if the speed limit is 30kmph.

That junction between liffey street and Ormond quay, I would say that that is dangerous going above 30kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

no. not if the speed limit is 30kmph.

That junction between liffey street and Ormond quay, I would say that that is dangerous going above 30kph.
    Dangeous at 30km/h. With cyclists going by you. FFS. I've heard it all now.

Advertisement