Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honesty or Fakeness

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

"I say what I like and I bloody well like what I say."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I try to be as honest as possible for the most part, but not if it's going to hurt someone a lot or irreparably damage our relationship. So generally stick to reasonable and constructive honesty and I think if people realise you're being genuine then they'll appreciate it.

I don't like fakeness but I can understand it sometimes; a lot of it comes from insecurity. I'm certainly guilty of it myself from time to time, though I do try to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think a genuine, authentic, and honest person is rare.

Roy keane is one of them. No falseness, no trying to appeal to other people's vanity etc

Try being just as honest with Roy Keane about his attitude, and you'll see how much precious Royston actually appreciates honesty. You'll be fine with Roy as long as you're kissing his arse.

That's the difference between what you're presenting as a choice, and a reality that is far more nuanced - people who practice what they call brutal honesty, never appreciate being held to their own standard, they say they have no time for people who are fake, whilst surrounding themselves with people who only want to be around them because of their social status. As soon as Roy disappears off the radar, as many of his type do, will he still appreciate when people refer to him as a washed up has-been? I doubt it.

Genuine authentic my arse :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Their's a time and place for both!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Oh, "I tell it like it is" is a good pointer towards someone that's probably going to irritate me. I have found that "I tell it like it is" = "I tell it as my particular blinkered view sees it and I am not going to see anyone else's side because I am, ofc, always 100% right once I've got my "like it is" hat on".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I say what I mean and I mean what I say.

I have no time for bull**** or phony baloney but at the same time I hate rudeness or thinking you have the right to say what you want to people, just because you have an opinion. Just straight talking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

You have never had people give you fake compliments on your clothes, fake compliments on your car, fake compliments on your friends or family, you never had people give you fake compliments on you?

I've had people give me compliments;

From people I cared about I appreciated it.

From people I hated I smiled through gritted teeth and and said thanks while thinking "your day will come mate"

From people I nothinged I nothinged it.

You'd go mad constantly theorising about the sincerity of someones stated opinions about you. And ultimately you would never be able to prove it either way. So its the very definition of a waste of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

I like tact over either fakeness or strident honesty. I've heard "I'm just being honest" attached to the most odious statements down the years, as if that negates the nastiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I prefer honest people.

Fakeness also has a way of getting back to you. Either people are terrible at it, their guard eventually slips or you hear they're doing fake ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

You have never had people give you fake compliments on your clothes, fake compliments on your car, fake compliments on your friends or family, you never had people give you fake compliments on you?

I don't know what world you're living in, but no, I have never received a fake compliment on anything in my life. Who goes around doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

NO HE WOULD NOT

Then he wouldn't be working in that factory for long or end up being one of those unyielding people that tend to make life difficult for people around them over trivial ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have found that people who are brutally honest seem to be more invested in the brutal part than the honesty part. And that they tend to attribute people disliking them to the honesty part and not the brutal part and wear it as a badge of pride. And that they have a definition of 'fake' that often extends to 'failing to express every negative opinion immediately, and claiming to like or not be bothered by the things which dislike and am bothered by'.

One man's fake is another man's manners and upbeat attitude like.

Was my thought exactly.. Honesty can be tempered with kindness and mercy whereas fake cannot be but fake.

Advertisement