Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honesty or Fakeness

Options
  • 17-04-2017 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Which do you value more in your fellow Human being?

I d guess most people would say they value honesty more, than why is it that so much more people seem fake rather than honest. Why are they acting false if not to serve the perceived necessity for it

I put it to you. Falseness is more valued than honesty otherwise it would not be more prevalent

Do you know many unique honest non fake people?

1 out of ten people?

Which do you value more? 62 votes

Honesty
    0% 0 votes
    Fakeness
    100% 62 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have lived a relatively long life, so far, and have met very few false people and a multitude of honest people. I just don't agree with your basic premise at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

What's your opinion OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What stupidity is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fake news
    Fake thread
    Fake OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

What's your opinion OP?

I think a genuine, authentic, and honest person is rare.

Roy keane is one of them. No falseness, no trying to appeal to other people's vanity etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think a genuine, authentic, and honest person is rare.

Roy keane is one of them. No falseness, no trying to appeal to other people's vanity etc

Having millions in the bank helps a lot. It's easy to be genuine, authentic and honest (being a pr1ck along the way sometimes) when money isn't a worry.

PARlance wrote: »
    Having millions in the bank helps a lot. It's easy to be genuine, authentic and honest (being a pr1ck along the way sometimes) when money isn't a worry.

The millions in the bank should have changed him, but it didn't. Brutally honest all the time. Credit to him, that's if people credit honesty of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Fake or false people tend to attract like for like. People that rather honesty in others really wouldn't stand for their bulls.hit, I certainly wouldn't.

I would distance myself from people like that, because I don't think they live in the same world as the rest of us. It would be too hard to not call them on it all the time. "So why are you full of s.hit?" would be too easy to say every time they open their mouths.

Why the interest / thread btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Honesty is probably one of the best traits a person can have!!

It's even better if you can fake it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I have found that people who are brutally honest seem to be more invested in the brutal part than the honesty part. And that they tend to attribute people disliking them to the honesty part and not the brutal part and wear it as a badge of pride. And that they have a definition of 'fake' that often extends to 'failing to express every negative opinion immediately, and claiming to like or not be bothered by the things which dislike and am bothered by'.

One man's fake is another man's manners and upbeat attitude like.

• Advertisement

I have found that people who are brutally honest seem to be more invested in the brutal part than the honesty part. And that they tend to attribute people disliking them to the honesty part and not the brutal part and wear it as a badge of pride. And that they have a definition of 'fake' that often extends to 'failing to express every negative opinion immediately, and claiming to like or not be bothered by the things which dislike and am bothered by'.

One man's fake is another man's manners and upbeat attitude like.

Go on then. Name more brutally honest people in the Media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Fake it til you make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think we are all a mixture of both. Say honest to friends and family. Maybe not so at work, depending on the job, like if you were in customer service or public sector, you are not going to tell people what you really think about them.

I prefer the honest approach myself, and I do think Irish people have no problem telling you what they think, but would be polite about it.

Kinda like the rule of someone offers you tea, you have to say no, at least twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The millions in the bank should have changed him, but it didn't. Brutally honest all the time. Credit to him, that's if people credit honesty of course?

You know him well enough to know he's brutally honest all the time?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. The millions probably did change him, he wasn't as outspoken in his early career. And I'm fairly sure that he plays on his honesty from time to time, it keeps him in lucrative TV gigs.

If the same guy was working in a factory he would probably learn to bite his lip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Tact. It's all about tact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Go on then. Name some more or less honest people in the Media?

I honestly (!) don't pay enough attention to what retired sports players or whoever the fcuk are going on about to be qualified to answer that question. And you're asking me to assess the character of strangers, who work in a field where your personality is a brand that you curate, people like Keane just as much as everyone else.

I can name you like seven genuine people off the top of my head though but you wouldn't know any of them, I met them by going outside.

PARlance wrote: »
    You know him well enough to know he's brutally honest all the time?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. The millions probably did change him, he wasn't as outspoken in his early career. And I'm fairly sure that he plays on his honesty from time to time, it keeps him in lucrative TV gigs.

If the same guy was working in a factory he would probably learn to bite his lip.

NO HE WOULD NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I'm going to be sexist here and say that I've only ever heard women going on about people being 'fake'.

as a bloke I take people as they are, you can be nice, a d*ck, a snake, whatever. But I'd never call anyone 'fake', you are who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Brutal honesty is understandably not valued as much as falseness that is designed to spare someone's feelings. I value honesty but it needs to be tempered with good judgement and an ability to present the truth gently.

Glenster wrote: »
    I'm going to be sexist here and say that I've only ever heard women going on about people being 'fake'.

as a bloke I take people as they are, you can be nice, a d*ck, a snake, whatever. But I'd never call anyone 'fake', you are who you are.

You have never had people give you fake compliments on your clothes, fake compliments on your car, fake compliments on your friends or family, you never had people give you fake compliments on you?

• Advertisement

I can name you like seven genuine people off the top of my head though but you wouldn't know any of them, I met them by going outside.

And what did they teach you?

I have found that people who are brutally honest seem to

But say if someone was to comment on you apperience? Nobody knows what you look like?

If you were ugly, honesty would be frowned upon. If you were a a super model and made people horny, honesty would be frowned on again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

We can only be really honest with our friends, and even then we have to be careful not to insult their partners/children/families etc. Unfortunately, most of us would not keep our jobs without a little fake schmoozing and feigned interest in work colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Fake news
    Fake thread
    Fake OP

Says Donald trump :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

snowflaker wrote: »
    Tact. It's all about tact.

Yeah that sums it up nicely alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

“Definitely that kind of owner, he thought. Self-made man proud of his handiwork. Confuses bluffness and honesty with merely being rude. I wouldn't mind betting a dollar that he thinks he can tell a man's character by testing the firmness of his handshake and looking deeply into his eyes.â€
    - Terry Pratchett, Maskerade.

It's true too. Way too many people brag about how they call a spade a spade and if people don't like it they can do the other thing because "I am me and unapologetic!"

Most've them are just plain rude and have never had the basic cop-on to learn how act with a modicum of courtesy to another person. Either that or they're just too lazy to and dress it up as "I'm blunt and honest" (no, hun, that was being rude and ignorant).

I value honesty. But I value honesty when it's being honest and not a ..rather dishonest cover-up for being a dick.

Also, that's a ridiculous polling option. Who is going to say "Yes, I value fakeness and lies!" Talk about a leading question. Could there not be an option for something more nuanced like "Honesty and courtesy in expressing it" or "Basic manners are always nice".

"I'm brutally honest, I tell it like it is!"

=

"I'll say whatever I want at whatever cost to other peoples feelings because I feel entitled to express whatever offensive opinion I want to, and that doesn't make me obnoxious, it makes be BETTER than anyone else because I'm not fake".

Most people can be honest and not alienate everyone around them, and what some people consider fakeness is diplomacy, as mentioned above. It's the "Tell it like it is" crowd who pride themselves on being boorish that like to paint their brand of 'honesty' as a virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Honesty when it comes to serious issues which I deserve to know the truth about.

A little fakeness is apprecaited though if it means I don't have to listen to a whole load of information that is none of my concern.
    Question: Wanna go to see a film?
    Response: Well, I'd rather not as my hemorrhoids are giving me awful gip this evening and I've just applied some cream.
    Nah, just tell me you have to have an early night and leave it at that thanks very much.

Fakeness for no reason bothers me though. There's a time and place for honesty and also for being somewhat fake and the ability to decipher the two is what makes people either sound or a fcuking nightmare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I think it's more or less been covered, but if fakeness is under the umbrella tact and honest falls under blunt, than neither.

On the flip side if it's dishonesty or deceit that you are addressing under the title fakeness, then nothing grinds my gears more and I would absolutely go for honesty in those circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Candie wrote: »
    "I'm brutally honest, I tell it like it is!"

=

"I'll say whatever I want at whatever cost to other peoples feelings because I feel entitled to express whatever offensive opinion I want to, and that doesn't make me obnoxious, it makes be BETTER than anyone else because I'm not fake".

Most people can be honest and not alienate everyone around them, and what some people consider fakeness is diplomacy, as mentioned above. It's the "Tell it like it is" crowd who pride themselves on being boorish that like to paint their brand of 'honesty' as a virtue.

This pretty much describes them but I would add that they have a very hard time accepting such brutal honesty when the tables are turned and they're on the receiving end.

Advertisement