Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long on crutches with a broken ankle?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I broke mine a few years ago, 4 bones and a dislocation. I was 6 weeks in a cast and needed crutches I'd say another 3/4 weeks.
    Spent my free time trolling chatrooms

bear1 wrote: »
    You're certain it's broken and not fractured?

Broken and fractured mean exactly the same thing. A bone can be displaced or not, and resetting or reducing a fracture means realigning the bone. A compound fracture is when a broken bone penetrates the tissue and skin, which adds the complication of an open wound and the possibility of infection.

How long you're in crutches depends on each individual case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Candie wrote: »
    Broken and fractured mean exactly the same thing. A bone can be displaced or not, and resetting or reducing a fracture means realigning the bone. A compound fracture is when a broken bone penetrates the tissue and skin, which adds the complication of an open wound and the possibility of infection.

A neighbour of mine broke his ankle. He pretty much skipped the "taking it easy while you're on crutches" aspect. It didn't heal properly and had to be rebroken..then again and surgery. He was laid up for 6 months or more in the end. Probably wisest to take it reeealy easy for the first 4 weeks for the fastest heal.

Candie wrote: »

That's pretty much the only advice. Listen to medical experts who have read your file or seen the X-rays. The ankle is fairly complex, have seen people break bones and hardly notice it, others get bad sprains and are completely screwed for ages when running.

If it provides any inspiration, some English runner a few years ago won a pretty big mountain race. On 2 broken ankles.

And don't give up work. Unless you're an athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Beyondgone wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine broke his ankle. He pretty much skipped the "taking it easy while you're on crutches" aspect. It didn't heal properly and had to be rebroken..then again and surgery. He was laid up for 6 months or more in the end. Probably wisest to take it reeealy easy for the first 4 weeks for the fastest heal.

As somebody else said, every case is different - I was told that the way that they did my surgery meant that I was put in the boot straight away and was encouraged to weight bear 'as much as tolerable'. Lost the crutches after about 3 weeks and was walking in shoes with no boot after 8 weeks. Started physio after that. Was told by a consultant in Cork that had it happened down there that I would have been put in a cast for 6 weeks and then in a boot afterwards for another few - pretty happy that I broke it in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Cool_CM wrote: »
    As somebody else said, every case is different - I was told that the way that they did my surgery meant that I was put in the boot straight away and was encouraged to weight bear 'as much as tolerable'. Lost the crutches after about 3 weeks and was walking in shoes with no boot after 8 weeks. Started physio after that. Was told by a consultant in Cork that had it happened down there that I would have been put in a cast for 6 weeks and then in a boot afterwards for another few - pretty happy that I broke it in Dublin!

What's the idea of the boot then? I thought it was so the person could get around without a crutch and the boot would still provide enough load bearing support? I've only really seen them around lately, like the last few years or so maybe? They wouldn't work for me though as it's my hip and knees are fcuked so I'm having to use a crutch to get around the last two decades, well used to it now, but was just curious about the moonwalkers :D

Can't really add anything for the OP that hasn't been said already, except get well soon OP, and follow the advice of your doctors and the physio!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

What's the idea of the boot then? I thought it was so the person could get around without a crutch and the boot would still provide enough load bearing support? I've only really seen them around lately, like the last few years or so maybe? They wouldn't work for me though as it's my hip and knees are fcuked so I'm having to use a crutch to get around the last two decades, well used to it now, but was just curious about the moonwalkers :D

Can't really add anything for the OP that hasn't been said already, except get well soon OP, and follow the advice of your doctors and the physio!!

The crutches were essentially more for stabilising and confidence after about a week or so. I started not using them around the house but it was about 3 weeks before I would leave home without them. The boot basically meant that I could take it off and change my dressing as needed and gave me the support I needed to start walking on it properly once I felt like I could. Also meant that I could start doing little exercises that the doctor gave me after a few weeks. Physio said that I'm basically back to full flexibility, but still have to keep doing the exercises for that as I managed to do some ligaments too. Can't really complain though, was able to walk up the Giant's Causeway last week - a few months ago I couldn't even make it to the counter to make a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Go to your doctor and ask about physiotherapy. It can be the difference between regaining full mobility or being left with a permanent weakness.
    You will probably be able to walk unaided before you can drive or wear high shoes. Six to ten weeks is the norm depending on the severity of the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And don't give up work. Unless you're an athlete.

Or if your doctor says to. Some breaks are worse than others and recovery can be delayed by the stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Six weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement