Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long on crutches with a broken ankle?

Options
  • 16-04-2017 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

I broke my ankle last week playing basketball.
    Not liking the crutches and general immobility.
    Give me hope. How long do I have to spend on crutches?
    Going mad stuck in the house because my hands are raw from the crutches.
    Watching movies and looking at the internet. Even have to work from home, which I hate. Im going mad. How long?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,743 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Surely this is a question you would've asked the doctor??,

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I havent been to the doctor yet.
    A&E just patched me up and said see ya, wouldnt wanna be ya.
    I didnt think to ask any questions. And I assume everyones experience on crutches was different.
    Im looking for hope not exact science.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You're certain it's broken and not fractured?
    At least a month I'd say anyway.
    God love ya if it gets itchy down there.

bear1 wrote: »
    You're certain it's broken and not fractured?
    At least a month I'd say anyway.
    God love ya if it gets itchy down there.

Yep, x-ray showed it broken. Maybe a fracture is the same thing though.
    4 weeks. I can take that. Someone else told me 6 weeks. That would be a nightmare. I hear you can get off the crutches after maybe 3 weeks and just hobble around. That would be nice.

Dont mind me. Im just bored out of my skin sitting in bed.
    On the bright side, i get lots of sympathy meals and cups of tea :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Put some padding on the crutches or get some finger less gloves

I think 4-6 weeks would be normal

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Put some padding on the crutches or get some gingerbread gloves

I think 4-6 weeks would be normal

Good plan.
    Ill try that. Thanks.

Trying to think of ways to brighten up the downtime,
    Might use it as an excuse to go somewhere and spend the time sitting in a sunny climate instead of rainy Kildare where I live at the moment.
    Nice day in the garden yesterday though - with a thick blanket

It seems like the kind of thing only a doctor can answer..

It seems like the kind of thing only a doctor can answer..

Thanks.
    I'll be sure to ask him on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

4 weeks?
    6 weeks?

Nah mate, only answer for you is a shotgun, and a nice trip to the glue factory.

4 weeks?
    6 weeks?

Nah mate, only answer for you is a shotgun, and a nice trip to the glue factory.

If that stops the itch :)

Im in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Did they tell you when to go back to the hospital to get the cast off? You'll probably be on crutches for a week or two after that happens. You'll need to find out if you need to do physio when the cast comes off, so the best thing is to either go to your GP or contact the orthopedic department in the hospital you went to.

So its Whiskey first. Then shotgun.
    Thanks all. I wont be able to post after that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

It'll likely still be sore when the cast comes off and you'll need to ease back in to walking on it so won't necessarily be done with the crutches straight away. That was my experience anyway. Might be different tho if you can put weight on it in the cast. I wasn't allowed. I was using the crutches for far longer than the 6 weeks I had the cast on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Have you got a full plaster or just a backslab? Four weeks for a straightforward fracture is about average if keep the weight off it, but none of of us can see your Xray, what bones are involved, or where the fracture is so we're guessing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

My son was 6 weeks on crutches last year with a similar injury..it's a nightmare..we put the foam stuff that you see on some heating pipes on the handles ..showering was a nightmare..big black bag taped on and his leg sticking out the shower door on a footstool..he couldn't carry his schoolbag..fierce awkward getting in and out of the car...I was fit to break his other leg after the 6 weeks ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Yeah a good idea is get someone to head to Woodies (or other stores) and get some pipe insulation foam and tape it on.
    Depending how bad injury is you probably be able to put some weight on it im week or so. Ask hospital for a physio appointment or if thats too long look into it privately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Hospital will give you stuff called collar and cuff to wrap round the handles if you ask.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Depends on the break. I was in plaster for 8 weeks and then had one of those boots on for 3.

Though I had surgery and pins inserted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not going to lie, the start is a complete bollocks and you'll be doing a lot of sitting around and elevating of your leg - but I was off the crutches and using just the boot about 3 weeks after surgery. Broke both sides of my ankle just before Christmas and had plates, screws etc put in.
    4 months later and swelling is still an issue, but I can walk normally and relatively without pain.
    It does depend on where you broke it, how they patched you up though - was told that it will take as long as it takes. I've literally just gone through this so feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to ask about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

4-6 weeks,you might get a moonboot if you're lucky.

Buy tennis racket grips for the handles.

Don't rush off the crutches either, FFS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Break your other ankle as quickly as possible , this'll help with pain , balance etc.

I "ahem" know someone who managed to break both wrists at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Until Christmas*

*I am a doctor

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I "ahem" know someone who managed to break both wrists at the same time.

I met someone once who did that. He said the worst part of it was having to get his mother to wipe his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Reminded of that famous Reddit thread

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Get the best cycling gloves you can afford. They've gel pads and all sorts of shock absorption built in, but they don't make your hands too sweaty.
    Also, look at getting a kneewalker. (Google it.) You won't use it all the time but it makes a huge difference when you're out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hopefully it sets right and they don't have to re break it.again with a surgical lump hammer

76544567 wrote: »
    Going mad stuck in the house because my hands are raw...from the crutches.

Just added some dots there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,761 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya probably shouldn't be working either, not even from home.

Shoulda listened to the doc you saw in A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Fill a dish with warm water, pour in a full bottle of TCP and soak your foot in it for an hour, it will help the healing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I broke my ankle a few years ago. Was in a cast for 6 weeks and had another two weeks on the crutches after the cast came off

Advertisement