Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to insure your first car in Ireland?

Options
  • 14-04-2017 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I came to Ireland a bit more than a year ago. (Prior to that I lived here in years 2006-2010).
    So, recently I`ve decided to buy a car. Mostly because of the whole BE strike. I have to commute to the place I work in from Shannon to Limerick.
    Anyways, I chose a car. Nearly bought it. But one thing stopped me from doing so. Insurance.
    It came out that I cannot insure a car here. The only company (literally one) that would insure me, asks for €3500 (WTF!), for a car with 1.4 engine `08.
    Rest of them, don`t want to speak about insuring me.
    I have my driving license for about 8 yrs now, and drove a car for nearly same amount. I`m 36 yrs old male. But according to insurance companies, no driving experience.
    So, my question is:

- How the hell first time drivers/buyers are insuring their cars here in Ireland??

Because that sounds a bit ridiculous, you HAVE to get your experience while driving, right? But how? If one cannot insure a car? I mean, what kind of "mastermind" is behind this idea?
    Because to be honest with you guys, this kind of thing is not a problem where I`m from. You passing your driving licence test, buying a car and insuring it without a problem.
    And here, for some strange reason, according to insurance companies, I`m unable to drive a car even though I have a full driving licence cat. B.

Can someone explain to me this phenomenon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

First time drivers are either paying the inflated prices, or driving on their parents insurance or getting a different form of transport or driving uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Look into Aviva Ignition course, and Boxymo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

You get a 1L or so car, often a yaris, pass your test, And then pay the 4k or so a year for the first few years to get your no claims bonus which brings the price down.

Building up your own no claims is the only effective way to get cheaper insurance later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Where were you driving a car for 8 years and can you provide vide proof of a claims free history. Liberty will accept certs from many countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Scarabeus

#Skatedude. So what you're saying is. "Bin your old driving licence and start all over" . Sorry, but thats not an option. It's basically giving up. ... And driving a Yaris? For few years?? Maybe, if I'd be a teenager living with my parents, that would be an option then. ... #Marcusm. Thats what I did. Called few brokers. And now I'm waiting for my policy history for the last 5 yrs. Plus I'll exchange my driving licence into irish one. Because that simple process will bring my insurance down by around €300. So I'll end up with €1250 for the first year. Problem solved. Although its a bit time consuming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement