Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxymo

Options
  • 21-01-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey,

Just after getting a 99 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3 yesterday & wanna get it insured. This is my 1st car so i dont have any no claims bonus & i'm on a provisional licience at the mo but i've had it for a year. I've priced insurance around and the cheapest i'm gettin is € 893.13 from Boxymo for TP.

I'm wondering has anyone been insured with them before or at the moment. I've never heard of them before , I think they are a new company.
    I know they fit a box in your car that cant be seen & monitor your driving but that seems ok if you werent a reckless driver. I like to think i'm a safe driver, slso on the quote premium you get 5000 guaranteed km + 3600 reward km, do you think thats enough? I would only be used for small distance town & to work etc.

I dont know wheather to go with them or not :confused::confused:

Help needed please!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Boxymo and Axa DriveSave have the same idea, a monitoring device in car.
    It doesn't seem to cut that much off a regular policy but every penny counts I suppose.
    You can also look at Aviva Ignition course.

Shop around more, you should try at least 10 places and a few brokers before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just to warn you, some of those boxes record speed which is fine if you are religious about your speed. However, remember the likes of the Quays and some of the overpasses around the M50 are 30km/h. The insurance companies don't care, that will be flagged as 'reckless' and count against you. I strongly recommend shopping around before even considering a device in your car. The saving when I did a quick check for a friend was often less than 10%.

Insurance with mileage quota's are not a good idea in my opinion. You don't know what will happen next week, let alone next month and you may suddenly require more. My commute to work is 60km round trip and it takes 30 mins. You honestly wouldn't think it but in a week thats 300km or 15,000km a year (Give or take) And thats before any social, shopping trips etc.

Shop around. Your quote is going to be high but €900 should get your a decent level of cover with no clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

I've tried a good few places & they're all ranging from €1,000 - €3,000. € 893.13 is the cheapest by far

Try the asking Aviva about the Ignition course I mentioned above www.aviva.ie/online/driving/ignition/qualify/
    Also ask Axa about DriveSave.

But tbh, 1st insurance will be expensive. Once you start building NCB it'll get cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I've tried a good few places & they're all ranging from €1,000 - €3,000. € 893.13 is the cheapest by far

Id pay the extra €100 not to have an insurer monitor my every move, but each to their own.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

But tbh, 1st insurance will be expensive. Once you start building NCB it'll get cheaper.

This is very true.

From my calculations recently, one years no claims is equal to 5 years of named driving experience. So the financial hit you take now, will decrease rapidly the more years you have insurance in your own name.

Tyres, Car Insurance and Health Insurance should never be done on the cheap because the cost if you do can far outweigh the short term benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

How does the box work exactly.

Does it use gps ? And if so, wouldn't a cheap but illegal Chinese gps blocker defeat it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

pa990 wrote: »

Does it use gps ? And if so, wouldn't a cheap but illegal Chinese gps blocker defeat it

What would be the point in that? They would know that no data is being collected and would most likely just void your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

No way op E893 for 8600 km . I presume you have to pay extra if you exceed this extremely low mileage

pa990 wrote: »

In theory, yes it would. But it would be flagged as faulty as soon as it reaches a timeout threshold. A lot of these boxes and commercial GPS trackers have this facility. Also, many log the data so in the event the GPRS / Cell network is unavailable, it uploads the data once it becomes available (Provided of course the GPS isn't being jammed) So you would need to block both the GPS and the cellular system to have complete control over it. But I would probably expect a phone call and replacement box within days if they weren't getting data back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

noelf wrote: »
    No way op E893 for 8600 km . I presume you have to pay extra if you exceed this extremely low mileage

8600km is loads!
    there's only so much accompanied learning to drive you can do in a year.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    8600km is loads!
    there's only so much accompanied learning to drive you can do in a year.

Probably a good measure for the insurance company as well. If your doing higher mileage, your probably doing it unaccompanied. That said, if you pass the test within say the first 6 months, you could easily up that mileage and I doubt the limit changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Also got the cheapest quote around from boxymo! Alot higher then yours though 2250 was my lowest still ringing around will have to wait till monday though to get through to alot of places.

You guys dont think its a good idea then?

If it's cheaper than everywhere else why not really. Sure, your stats are collected for the duration but the point is to build NCB and prove yourself to be a good driver.
    If it would get me a cheaper premium than I already have I'd consider it.. A lot of drivers would say no but I think it's mainly down to feeling that it will will invade your privacy (and it does).
    Up to you really...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Also got the cheapest quote around from boxymo! Alot higher then yours though 2250 was my lowest still ringing around will have to wait till monday though to get through to alot of places.

You guys dont think its a good idea then?

I didnt end up goin with Boxymo Quote. Glad i didnt know cause most people i had been chattin to werent too convenced anbout it with da Kms & the insurace monitoring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

read up on them a bit more looking at reviews and the likes definitly wont be going with them from what ive read!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mailoroma

I got insurance from boxymo because they were cheap for first time insurance. I made a claim for a hit and run, a guy hit my car and ran off, and they were efficient enough to write me a check.

However, the telematics system is a joke. I routinely drive on the motorway and dual carriage way boxymo always sends a severe speeding or moderate speeding event. This fact can be verified by GPS. This has happened four times now and I never drive over the speed limit. It does not inspire any confidence in the accuracy or reliability of boxymo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Can someone tell me who is the underwriters for boxymo? I am trying to tax the car and there's loads to pick but mcl insurance which it says its under isn't on the list, need help!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mick ah

dave 27 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me who is the underwriters for boxymo? I am trying to tax the car and there's loads to pick but mcl insurance which it says its under isn't on the list, need help!

Just pick any of them.

It doesn't actually matter. I've never input the correct details, not worth going to root out the details when they're not needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Yup, don't bother with real details. Just pick a random one from list, throw in a date for upto a year away and type in 12345 or something and it's all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 duckduck1991

Has anyone tryed insurance with this croud ? They are a lot cheaper iv got quite a big car and only a provisional licence.. They quoted me 2k and the rest were 5k plus ...I'm a bit worried because looking at their reviews online they have a lot and I meen a lot of unhappy customers I'm afraid their gonna rob my deposit..If anyone has any experences please share :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duckduck1991

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm with them at the moment.

Brutal customer service and they put a tracker in the car, mileage cap too.

But, once you get all your documents in to them on time they're grand, it's a cheap way to start out, get your NCB and move on to a different company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

My Daughter is with them. She's on the 10,000km plan, but there seems to be quite a delay at the moment installing the device. Insured from end of Sept and device was only installed last week. So pretty much 2.5 months mileage not deducted from her allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

Duiske wrote: »
    My Daughter is with them. She's on the 10,000km plan, but there seems to be quite a delay at the moment installing the device. Insured from end of Sept and device was only installed last week. So pretty much 2.5 months mileage not deducted from her allowance.

does it mean that she could drive even without device being installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

thedumbone wrote: »
    does it mean that she could drive even without device being installed?

Yes. The T&C's say it has to be installed within 21 days of start of policy, but the delay is an issue with a contractor so you can just drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Duiske wrote: »

What happens if she goes above the 10,000km , does she pay more?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

9935452 wrote: »
    What happens if she goes above the 10,000km , does she pay more?
    Well she can stop driving...
    I think there's some mechanism for buying more km, but someone else on boards commented that was very expensive. I think I read there was also the possibility for very safe driving (by telemetry assessment) to be rewarded with some extra kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 conorroche123

if i pay now what happens next/
    will they send me out my insurance disc or do i have to send a copy of my drivers license first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

youll have to send them all outstanding documentation before you get any cert or disc.

Advertisement