Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva driver Ignition test

Options
  • 08-07-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Insurance renewal time, was quoted 3200 from AXA to renew, lowest they would go was 2600 for third party fire and theft.

Called Aviva, They would insure me for 1583 if I pass their Ignition test. Booked a test for this coming Monday.

Has anyone done it recently? What's it like, what do I need to know, are they strict etc etc.

Any info would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I did it ages ago "back in the day" but this is what happens:
    You show up and watch a general information film.
    Then go out to a car, open bonnet, point at oil cap, water etc
    Then drive around for a bit while the tester observers you.
    Afterwards tester gives some feedback.
    End.

It's really like your driving test all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Done this test a few months ago about a week after passing my full test.

Was pretty pointless. Did a three point turn and just drove for nearly an hour.

I was in the boat as you where I got a good quote and it was a pass I needed.

He just told me after that I was a safe driver but couldn't say if I passed or not.:rolleyes:

Passed anyway.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Passed my ignition test! Was told I was mostly safe but that I took roundabouts too harshly and that I was braking too harshly aswell, but obviously that wasn't enough to fail me thank god!

Cheaper insurance here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

What would happen if someone failed, would their premium go up?

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    What would happen if someone failed, would their premium go up?

Well in my case, Aviva wouldn't insure me if I failed the test. I say that because my intial quote request was refused online and only when I rang Aviva directly would they give me a quote. That quote was only valid if I passed the ignition test and I was not offered a price for the circumstance that I failed the ignition test.

• Advertisement

Wing126 wrote: »
    Passed my ignition test!
    So what steps was involved this time? Movie and drive?

biko wrote: »
    So what steps was involved this time? Movie and drive?

Nope, asked me very basic rules of the road questions and then we drove around town for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

What's involved in this?

Any info I can find on here is going back to 2011.

Is their questions? (Rules of the road/signs)
    What's involved in the driving? Same as a driving test, Roundabout usage, 3 point turn, reverse around corner etc...

Any tips? :)

I merged your question to a recent thread with info.

DakarVert wrote: »
    What's involved in this?

Any info I can find on here is going back to 2011.

Is their questions? (Rules of the road/signs)
    What's involved in the driving? Same as a driving test, Roundabout usage, 3 point turn, reverse around corner etc...

Any tips? :)

My guy took me around the outskirts of Drogheda and then back through Drogheda town to get back to where we started. We went through roundabouts and the likes. It's more to see how you handle yourself on the road and to gauge if you're a safe driver. He didn't make me do a reverse or a turnabout.

He asked me some basic rules of the road questions so have some knowledge on them going in!

And as for tips, just remember it's to assess how you handle yourself on the road, not to critique your technical ability with turnabouts and the like.

• Advertisement

Sounds okay then. So basically drive normal with extra caution and mirrors! :)

It's all done in the instructors car?

I did it in my own car

DakarVert wrote: »
    Sounds okay then. So basically drive normal with extra caution and mirrors! :)

It's all done in the instructors car?

Yup just drive normally!!

Also yes

So passed. :)

Fairly straight forward, don't be an idiot and drive sensible.

Done in the instructors car, few road questions and drive on.

Advertisement