Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea Busunge bed collapsed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You won't get the full 240 euros back if you win. You will get the depreciated value of the goods. Realistically, that is an item that in my mind is designed to last three years, the duration of a child's infancy up to the point they need a 'proper' bed. You have gotten 17 or 18 months out of it already, which is half the life. As a result, you could expect to win at most 120 euros, i.e., compensation for the remaining half of its life. You might do a bit better than that (with that the argument that you are going to have to buy a completely new one now to last through the remainder of the young fella/girl's infancy) but I wouldn't bank on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

cnocbui wrote: »
    Did you see my post on the previous page?

Try quoting the EU mandatory 2 year consumer product warranty at them and ask why they think they don't need to comply.

They will tell you that the consumer directive you are referring to was never adopted into Irish Law because our SOGAS Act offers better consumer protection. So Ikea actually do not need to comply with that EU directive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You won't get the full 240 euros back if you win. You will get the depreciated value of the goods. Realistically, that is an item that in my mind is designed to last three years, the duration of a child's infancy up to the point they need a 'proper' bed. You have gotten 17 or 18 months out of it already, which is half the life. As a result, you could expect to win at most 120 euros, i.e., compensation for the remaining half of its life. You might do a bit better than that (with that the argument that you are going to have to buy a completely new one now to last through the remainder of the young fella/girl's infancy) but I wouldn't bank on it.

Bed was €140 on Ikea link. The balance was mattress/pillows etc according to op.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well then 70 euros, if the mattress and pillows can genuinely be reused. Business case for taking a day off to go to the District Court is thin!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

davo10 wrote: »
    They will tell you that the consumer directive you are referring to was never adopted into Irish Law because our SOGAS Act offers better consumer protection. So Ikea actually do not need to comply with that EU directive.

They still have to comply with the directive in the same way Ireland is complying with the directive through the SOGAS.

Besides the hair splitting, it is still the case that Ikea can not hide behind their warranty and state that 12 months have passed, tough luck, because their obligations to the OP are not defined by or limited to their warranty. A bed is quite clearly a long-lifetime product in normal expectations. A childs bed that breaks under a childs weight is very clearly not fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

But if the central sorry leg was not replaced in a manner fitting for the bed then the bed was not being used as intended and thru wouldn't be liable. I would chalk this one up OP. Going forward all IKEA for any posts that break or go missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

cnocbui wrote: »
    Did you see my post on the previous page?

Try quoting the EU mandatory 2 year consumer product warranty at them and ask why they think they don't need to comply.

That Directive was not enacted in Ireland as our consumer legislation was deemed stronger.

Warranty doesn't really matter to be honest, as you have stronger protection under Irish Consumer Law. As said earlier, you are entitled to expect a product to last a reasonable amount of type (dependent of type/quality of product), assuming no misuse on your part.

Advertisement