Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea Busunge bed collapsed

Options
  • 14-04-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭

I bought a child's bed from ikea 18 months ago. It's a Busunge. It's been a really bad product, and has now completely collapsed. Legs gave way in the middle and is sagging badly. Ikea tell me it's outside the 12 month guarantee, basically tough luck. I am quite surprised by their response as the item is clearly faulty. Has anyone had experiences like this with ikea, and is it worth pursuing it with them. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I bought a child's bed from ikea 18 months ago. It's a Busunge. It's been a really bad product, and has now completely collapsed. Legs gave way in the middle and is sagging badly. Ikea tell me it's outside the 12 month guarantee, basically tough luck. I am quite surprised by their response as the item is clearly faulty. Has anyone had experiences like this with ikea, and is it worth pursuing it with them. Many thanks.

We had a significant problem with Ikea before and found their customer service very poor.

Have a read of this page: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

"Consumer contracts are protected by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980. Under this Act the purchaser of goods has a number of rights - the main ones are:
    Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do"

I don't think 18 months is a reasonable lifespan for a bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You say it had been a bad product. Had it been faulty before now?

I'm assuming here that the bed has not been damaged through misuse. You need to remind IKEA of your statutory rights. If they don't play ball, then write them a registered letter informing them that you will start a SCC case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Sorry to be devils advocate here but. The leg gave way in the middle, and by this you mean the plastic leg, it snapped or bent? Would you not have gone and asked them for another, they are very accommodating on things like this with no charge. Of course the bed will sag and eventually break if there is no support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sorry to be devils advocate here but. The leg gave way in the middle, and by this you mean the plastic leg, it snapped or bent? Would you not have gone and asked them for another, they are very accommodating on things like this with no charge. Of course the bed will sag and eventually break if there is no support.

Hi there, I think its a wooden piece across the underside of the bed with two plastic parts as legs. Its fallen off.

If it was just that I might consider it.

However the slats are extremely light. The problem is that its an extendable bed, however when the bed is extended out there is just not enough support for the flimsy slats.

The slats themselves are not solid wood. They are wood pieces with this ZigZag fixtures joining two pieces together any they don't support much weight. These fixtures kept breaking. We were supporting the breaks with books under the bed; but there were too many of them, and then the legs falling off was just the final straw.

Having said that, I don't find Ikea accommodating.

-For example, there is no phone number to contact the Ikea store in Dublin.
    -My one experience of returning goods before, I waited over an hour in the Q. They have a ticketing system much like Dublin Passport Office used to do.
    - I have already been told by the IKEA Facebook page that the bed is out of warranty, therefore they will do nothing for me. As such, going out to the store to enquire is a 2 hour round trip for me, between driving, parking, qeueing - and chances are I will be told they cant do anything - based on what the facebook guy is saying.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

I'd consider it - its a 25euro fee; my feeling is that if somethin is out of warranty, then its out of warranty; even if its a bed that falls apart after 18 months (Purchase date was 31 August 2015). And that I wouldn't get anywhere.

Its certainly a lesson learned for me about what constitutes 'value'.

Its interesting, I looked on various forums and reviews for the Busunge when I bought it, couldn't see much; am surprised this issue has not come up.

"Sorry. The number you have dialed is temporarily out of service".

• Advertisement

Ok, will try them from a different phone. I am on to Consumer Connect now; thanks for the heads up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So the bed was damaged in the past and you propped it up with books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Is this the bed btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What companies claim as their warranty period is pretty much irrelevant unless it is superior to your rights as laid down in legislation. The Sale of goods act pretty much states things must be fit for purpose. 18 months for a bed is clearly not fit for purpose. The Act isn't so much specific about the time period but more about expectation given the nature of the product.

Aside from Irish consumer law, you are also covered by an EU directive which provides a mandatory two year warranty on all consumer goods.

In other words, you have them - they don't have a leg to stand on.

Sellers of consumer goods within the EU are obliged to guarantee the conformity of the goods with a contract, for a period of two years after the delivery of the goods.

Certain standards exist for assessing when conformity can be assumed and when not. If the goods are not delivered in conformity with the sales contract, consumers can ask for the goods to be repaired, replaced, and reduced in price or for the contract to be rescinded.

The final seller, who is responsible to the consumer, can also hold the producer liable in their business relationship.
    http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumer_rights/rights-contracts/sales-guarantee/index_en.htm

I'd start by asking them why they are selling goods in an EU member country and yet think they don't have to comply with EU legislation covering the sale of goods?

Stheno wrote: »
    So the bed was damaged in the past and you propped it up with books?

Correct.

In the past being in the past 12 months.

And damaged being broke because it couldn't support the weight of a child getting into bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Correct.

And damaged being broke because it couldn't support the weight of an 8 year old getting into bed.

Why didn't you bring it back when it first broke?

emeldc wrote: »

Yes that's the one.

All in though its 245 euros after you buy the mattress and slats also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

If it's always been a problem why didn't you bring it back before the 12 months?

I've had bad experiences with Ikea furniture myself, sometimes though because they were badly put together. Other times especially with kids furniture because they're really not built to withstand rough and tumble that kids put them through.

Stheno wrote: »
    Why didn't you bring it back when it first broke?

Because the initial problem was just with the slats, and I could prop them up without having to trek out to ikea for a refund. The slats themselves are cheap enough.

The bigger problem is the frame breaking, and that's just in the past fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Because the initial problem was just with the slats, and I could prop them up without having to trek out to ikea for a refund. The slats themselves are cheap enough.

The bigger problem is the frame breaking, and that's just in the past fortnight.

If the slats are broken tho then surely you would expect the frame to follow suit not long after.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    If the slats are broken tho then surely you would expect the frame to follow suit not long after.

really? why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

really? why?

Slats help to absorb and distribute loads placed on bed. Without them the frame is more likely to break.

davo10 wrote: »
    Slats help to absorb and distribute loads placed on bed. Without them the frame is more likely to break.

Maybe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Correct.

And damaged being broke because it couldn't support the weight of a child getting into bed.

You really should have bought it back when it first broke. That would have given IKEA a chance to fix, replace etc. Slats are integral for load distribution. So once they break, other failures would follow. By leaving it until the damage was total, you may have damaged your claim (though I'm not 100% sure on this).

Start with a registered letter to iKEA and see if that can get the ball rolling.

dudara wrote: »
    You really should have bought it back when it first broke. That would have given IKEA a chance to fix, replace etc. Slats are integral for load distribution. So once they break, other failures would follow. By leaving it until the damage was total, you may have damaged your claim (though I'm not 100% sure on this).

Start with a registered letter to iKEA and see if that can get the ball rolling.

You may be right.

I already have written confirmation from Ikea that they wont redress in anyway, and also confirmed over the phone. This is nothing to do with the slats going first; its just that its out of warranty.

Just to be clear, probably 3 slats broke out of 12, not a massive redistribution of weight; but that's overthinking it anyway.

To be honest - for 240 euros, its probably not worth taking it any further at this point.

I have a call in to the District Court to see where I would stand with a small claim. However getting parts repaired would be no good to me as I just think its poorly made anyway, ergo don't have any confidence.

There is a minimum 25 euro fee for a small claim; and when then return is 'maybe you get 240, maybe you get nothing' that's enough for me not to bother.

Did you buy it assembled?

Did you buy it assembled?

Its Ikea.

(No).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

You know, rather than throw it out anyone handy with a saw and a hammer (not necessarily a qualified carpenter) should be able to put it back together again so that you could get another year or two out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You may be right.

I already have written confirmation from Ikea that they wont redress in anyway, and also confirmed over the phone. This is nothing to do with the slats going first; its just that its out of warranty.

Just to be clear, probably 3 slats broke out of 12, not a massive redistribution of weight; but that's overthinking it anyway.

To be honest - for 240 euros, its probably not worth taking it any further at this point.

I have a call in to the District Court to see where I would stand with a small claim. However getting parts repaired would be no good to me as I just think its poorly made anyway, ergo don't have any confidence.

There is a minimum 25 euro fee for a small claim; and when then return is 'maybe you get 240, maybe you get nothing' that's enough for me not to bother.

Did you see my post on the previous page?

Try quoting the EU mandatory 2 year consumer product warranty at them and ask why they think they don't need to comply.

Advertisement