Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gig you have been to ?.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

Ozzy in McGonagles. Right at stage with Aimee throwing buckets of water on us.
    Quite special alright. It was announced on the radio and school was missed the next morning to get tickets. First gig is usually memorable (Megadeth, 1988) but the best was probably a warehouse squat rave in Holland in the mid 90's. More recently, The Orb last December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Foo fighters in the olympia when touring their second album

Muse in the olympia a good few years. Visually it was amazing.

Muse in Belfast just before they released their last album.

Turn in oxygen. In a tent early afternoon... Tent was jammed

Anytime I've seen arcade fire... Play one hell of a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hard to pick...

Daft Punk Oxegen 2007 was great though. Was right up the front (not that it really made a difference). Was a huge fan back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Pixies, Doolittle Tour, Olympia 2009. The place was electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Daft Punk - Alive in Marley park 2007
    7f679c33cfb968b0613655da496132c8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

Metallica, 2008 in Marley Park. Absolutely brilliant gig. Alice in Chains and Avenged Sevenfold supported them. All round amazing gig

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Stray Cats - Brixton Acadamy 2004 - Rumble in Brixton

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Never thought about this. Who really blew me away was Peter & the Test Tube Babies in the Loft, Berlin and it must have been 84 maybe? That was some night. I think my ears were ringing for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Wu Tang Clan and Felix Da Housecat-Oxegen 2004

7 members of WTC managed to make it, think ODB was in jail. Ghostface Killah came out to perform in a bathrobe and more gold around his neck than I've ever seen in my life. It was a spectacle. They're like the hip hop version of Parliment Funkadelic. Absolutely amazing show.

Later that night Felix Da Housecat played the best DJ set I've ever seen.

Flaming Lips at Electric Picnic 2005 was the best stage show I've ever seen. Wish I was on mushrooms or something to see them though. But It was trippy enough anyway.

Also De La Soul at the same Electric Picnic were excellent. Really tight stage show and very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Flaming Lips at Electric Picnic 2005 was the best stage show I've ever seen. Wish I was on mushrooms or something to see them though. But It was trippy enough anyway.

That karaoke version of Bohemian Rhapsody was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

washiskin wrote: »
    David Bowie in the Olympia 1997
    Springsteen in Slane in 1985
    George Michael in the O2 2006
    Duran Duran in The Point 2006

Did Morrissey support Bowie in 97?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jazz Kamikaze at the Metropole Hotel - 2007 Cork Jazz Festival

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

sugarman wrote: »
    I dont really get going to gigs of mainstream acts anymore, not to sound like a hipster but these days you have access to a bands entire back catalog via spotify and nearly every band has released live concerts on DVD/Bluray and/or regularly upload songs their from sets on their youtube channels.

I mean, sure.. its entertainment and a day out. But at what cost? Tickets to a big bands concert these days are upwards of €100, plus the costs of getting to/from, fed and watered its double that.

Dont get me wrong, ive been to plenty of gigs over the years but the prices are getting to stupid levels. Metallica announced a world tour there and tickets are €100+, I seen them here for €50 several years ago with top notch support acts.

Going into their gig you also know theyre going to play all their mainstream hits they play at every single show, despite having a massive back catalog and even a new album it remains relatively unchanged since I last saw them. The same goes for any act.

Id sooner go to Whelans or the Workmans and pay anywhere from €10-40 to see an up and coming act id never seen before. Cheap and cheerful, and I often find new bands I love playing music I never heard of. They're the ones that need the support and money to get going.
    Absolutely spot on,the folk I feel sorry for are the youngsters who are being ripped off by moneygrabbing bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Steve Miller band in the Roundhouse, London.

Couple of Cityjets and Holiday Inn, Camden Lock, no change from 500 euro, but WHAT A GIG.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The Who in Marlay Park in 2007
    Slane 2003 - Chillis, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Feeder, absolutely brilliant
    The Darkness in The Olympia 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Black Sabbath this past January in the 3 Arena.

I've been a metal fan for almost 30 years so to see 3/4 of the band that pretty much started it all was something personally very special for me.

Other than that, Machine Head in the Academy a couple of years ago stands out.

Meshuggah in Vicar St this year was also face meltingly epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Death Grips at The Academy in Dublin last October.

The most intense gig I've ever been to. It was non stop for an hour and a half, Zach Hill was going 90 on the drums the entire time, man has forearms of steel. Pit was great and MC Ride was giving it his all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The Cure
    Pearl Jam
    Example
    The Prodigy
    Moby
    Lana del Rey
    Damien Rice
    Darren Emmerson (Underworld)
    Leftfield
    The Roots
    Rae and Christian
    Ryan Adams

(Loads more I can't think of now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Toto - Vicar st

Damien Rice
    Leftfield

Surely the only person in the world who says "I like Damien Rice and Leftfield"

• Advertisement

Surely the only person in the world who says "I like Damien Rice and Leftfield"

I can enjoy all types of music and it's got naught to do with you.

I can enjoy all types of music and it's got naught to do with you.

You can of course. So anyway...you bump into anyone at Leftfield that you spotted at Damien Rice?

Ah come on, you gotta see the light side, it's a bit of a contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

You can of course. So anyway...you bump into anyone at Leftfield that you spotted at Damien Rice?

I wouldn't necessarily say so. Most music lovers enjoy different genres.

Those gigs were years apart. The Leftfield one was pretty chilled actually kinda trancey if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Last shadow puppets in the olympia last year. Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

LeBash wrote:
    Deftones, unreal live, have tickets for both nights next month.

You mean the Ambassador gig? Incredible. Seeing them tonight in Vienna for the first time post-Chi and again in Dublin. Bring it!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Die Antwoord, London, Aphex Twin on decks... drool

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Saw the Who last week. They have aged incredibly well. Saw Queen in their last concert with Freddie at Knebworth in 86 - they put on an incredible show. Bowie at Milton Keynes in the Serious Moonlight tour was phenomenal. Jagger was fantastic when I saw the Stones at Roundhay Park in Leeds in 82.

They all pale into insignificance though when compared with Wembley Stadium on 13 July 1985. Took 550 photos at Live Aid. Memories that will last a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Creamfields 2002. The vibe that day was unreal, with all the DJ's absolutely on top of their game, Faithless were especially phenomenal in my mind. Fair enough, I had drugs taken but I still say that day was one of the best in my life....

More recently, I would say The Gorillaz in the 3 arena a few years ago (2011?). Loved it from start to finish, so many legends on stage at once.

Also, went to see The Pink Floyd Experience a few weeks ago, and they were superb. The nearest you will get to the real thing. Go see them if you get a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

QOTSA at the Olympia in 2011 I think it was. The band was amazing that night and the crowd was electric. Pearl Jam at Rock Werchter in Belgium in 2014 was fantastic too.

Others that stand out are Muse at Wembley Stadium, Rammstein the few times I saw them, Rush at the O2.

Advertisement