Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gig you have been to ?.

Options
  • 14-04-2017 8:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

So guys whats the best gig you have been to then ?.

Mine was Steve Aoki in the Cork Oprea house of all places to do a 3 hour DJ set. It was extramly hot sweety, Drunk and just playing fun.

The 2nd best was good Charlotte over in Kentish Town Forum where the VIP ticket holders about 20 of us got 5 songs played for us before the main gig well worth the money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Rammstein !! What a ****ing live gig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Trivium and God Forbid in the Ambassador in 2006. It was my first gig ever and I'll never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Roger Waters - The Wall. Saw it twice, indoors & outdoors. Simply spectacular show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

The stunning in the Savoy in Cork some time ago. . Early 2000's I think. Stone cold sober at it but some gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Steve Aoki at Cork OH, when was that?

Mine would be Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Slane, great weather, Feeder, PJ Harvey, QoTSA, Foos, and RHCP. PJ was a bit of a let down but the day took off with Feeder and never looked back.

Also Calvin Harris in Vegas, DJ set, his first Saturday night in Hakkasan. Made better as we struck a deal to get in 10 minutes before he came on (2:20am) and then accidently walked into the VIP area and were allowed stay there as we'd hit the bar heavily before getting spotted without tags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

razorblunt wrote: »
    Steve Aoki at Cork OH, when was that?

Mine would be Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Slane, great weather, Feeder, PJ Harvey, QoTSA, Foos, and RHCP. PJ was a bit of a let down but the day took off with Feeder and never looked back.

Also Calvin Harris in Vegas, DJ set, his first Saturday night in Hakkasan. Made better as we struck a deal to get in 10 minutes before he came on (2:20am) and then accidently walked into the VIP area and were allowed stay there as we'd hit the bar heavily before getting spotted without tags.

Last may it was the must random off gig in the must random of place and tickets where only 25 euros and he played for 3 hours witch was crazy as was only expecting him to play for maybe 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Slkpknot Slayer Mastodon and hatebreed in Cardiff about 12 years ago.

The pit.... good Lord!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Last may it was the must random off gig in the must random of place and tickets where only 25 euros and he played for 3 hours witch was crazy as was only expecting him to play for maybe 45 mins.

That's brilliant, it sure beats the Declan Nerney and Showbands they seem to have on in there all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

razorblunt wrote: »
    That's brilliant, it sure beats the Declan Nerney and Showbands they seem to have on in there all the time.

Thats for sure.

Like i remember reading on facebook that he was playing the cork opera house i was extramly confused going what the hell ?. Thats a strange strange venue for a DJ gig and it turned out it was a strange place for a DJ gig.

Only downside it only sold desperados beer and I used to love it to i learned how to drink proper beer now i think its the must vile stuff to drink ha and haveing to drink it for the night was hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Spank Rock at Garden Party in 2006.

He's a single rapper now but back then they were a duo and touring a not particularly good album.

I ended up in the tent by accident but I was just blown away. He was on stage, sitting on top of a massive speaker like a ragdoll, as relaxed as you like, and nonchalantly rapping away.

His production partner was on the decks behind him, playing techno, electro, heavy breaks and even huge screaming guitar riffs. It was a mix of styles that shouldn't have work and yet it was sublime.

• Advertisement

Underworld, RDS 7 or 8 years back. Just all the anthems. Every one. No new album plugging...even though they had one...no fillers, non stop fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

My Bloody Valentine in the Roundhouse in Camden in 2008, was their first gig after a hiatus of nearly 15 years, was like being in the middle of a hurricane for 90 mins

No video can do justice to just how noisy it was

My Bloody Valentine in the Roundhouse in Camden in 1008...

One of the last great nights before the Battle of Clontarf...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

My Bloody Valentine in the Roundhouse in Camden in 1008, was their first gig after a hiatus of nearly 15 years, was like being in the middle of a hurricane for 90 mins

Those were the days, 1008. Was King Canute there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wally1990 wrote: »
    Rammstein !! What a ****ing live gig

Pretty much end of thread... Can't be topped

My Bloody Valentine in the Roundhouse in Camden in 1008, was their first gig after a hiatus of nearly 15 years, was like being in the middle of a hurricane for 90 mins

Saw them in Manchester.... Love that band

Primus in the Warfield San Francisco.... Entire seas of cheese album... Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭sioda

Tiesto docs nightclub in Limerick some time late last millennium.

8 pints of beer sold all night nearly ran out of bottled water strange that.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Gorillaz on the Plastic Beach tour was fairly class. There were so much going on on stage I hardly looked at the visuals. Mick Jones and Paul Simonon from the Clash as part of the backing band, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble too. De la Soul and Mark E Smith joined them for a few tracks, there are probably a few others I'm forgetting. Unbelievable stuff, I really thought they'd headline the Picnic this year.

sioda wrote: »
    Tiesto docs nightclub in Limerick some time late last millennium.

8 pints of beer sold all night nearly ran out of bottled water strange that.

Tiesto?

I'd have thought the club orange and crisps would be the first to be cleared...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hooters back around 2000 sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Suede at the big top in Galway last year. It was a chance to relive my youth and they tore into the classics like back in the good old days :)

Best atmosphere I ever experienced at a gig was probably Alabama 3 playing Dolans warehouse a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I've been to a lot of great gigs but I went to see The Weeknd a few weeks ago. Absolutely incredible, his vocals are on another level. I've been a fan since House of Balloons and Kiss Land and I was kind of expecting it to be a let down since my expectations were so high. He was unbelievable though. Anyone going to see him at Longitude is in for a special night.

Honourable mention to The Lumineers and Walking on Cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ash at the London Astoria, in 1997. 90-120 minute mosh fest. Seen 1997 performed again for the 20th Anniversary at The Roundhouse in December, was not able to mosh as much but still pretty epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

There's two gigs im annoyed at myself for missing. Roger Waters The Wall a couple of years back in Dublin and Leonard Cohen at Lissadell in Sligo. Can't believe i didn't even try to get to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Too many to mention but highlights in no particular order :

Thin Lizzy - RDS, Thunder and Lightning Tour 1983 (my first ever gig)
    Marillion - SFX, 1985
    Ramones - Manchester Academy 1991
    The Pogues fronted by Joe Strummer (Shane McGowan was in Rehab) Manchester 1991
    Roger Waters - The Marque, Cork 2006
    David Gilmour - Royal Albert Hall , 2006
    The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Temple Bar Music Center 2002
    Rush - R30 Tour , Birmingham 2004 (my first time seeing Rush live having waited for eons :))
    Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour O2 Arena Berlin 2013 (my last time seeing Rush :( )
    Steve Wilson - Royal Albert Hall 2015
    John Carpenter - Vicar St 2016

Lots of metal / trash gigs in the late 80's in McGonagles (R.I.P.) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

1024 MBs.

What a Gig!!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Solomun and Sven Vath in Pacha 2 years ago, for many reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Leonard Cohen in Dublin...breathtaking and such a humble man, he really seemed truly grateful for the warm reception he received.

Advertisement