Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonathan Sugarman. National hero.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

biko wrote: »
    One man's whistle-blower is another man's traitor.

A rat is it?

#noratting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think the people of Ireland bear a large degree of responsibility for the crash in the past.

Continually voted anti-regulation parties like Progressive Democrats and Fianna Fail into power.

Went mad during the property boom, and engaged in get rich quick schemes at the expense of their fellow citizens.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry was styling themselves as a property developer.

Estate Agents putting exorbitant prices on houses.

People taking out mortgages 9 or 10 times their salary.

Yes there was institutional corruption, but I get sick of hearing people blaming everything on government. We the people elect the government and we always get the government we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I think the people of Ireland bear a large degree of responsibility for the crash in the past.

We were sold a pup, then group think took over, surely we 've learned our lesson?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are right. There are a lot of people in this country looking at themselves in the mirror with an undeserved sense of accomplishment, and many people here believing personal effort was the key driver of where they are in life and patting themselves on the back.

I'm personally for very, very high CAT rates to stamp out passing that wealth to the next generation, the giving of gifts for house deposits, etc. Plainly, where one generation has benefited (and benefited greatly) from direct and dysfunctional government intervention (that young people pay for now), it is only right that that generation be taxed quite highly to redress the balance.

Poster above talks about us all going mad, but remember there were a lot of communities left behind in the boom to the benefit of others. Knocknaheeny in Cork for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

myshirt wrote:
    Poster above talks about us all going mad, but remember there were a lot of communities left behind in the boom to the benefit of others. Knocknaheeny in Cork for example.

The sad and disturbing truth is, not much has actually changed, I do believe the next crash will be devastating. We need to prepare now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The sad and disturbing truth is, not much has actually changed, I do believe the next crash will be devastating. We need to prepare now

We are in no way prepared. Pay rises for PS all round and people ready to vote in the same old political parties that have lead us to ruin time and again as well as attempting to destroy good people like Sugerman. In a way we deserve all we have coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deadlineday

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/jonathan-sugarman?bucket=&source=twitter-share-button

2500 signatures since yesterday evening with little or no msm coverage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/jonathan-sugarman?bucket=&source=twitter-share-button

2500 signatures since yesterday evening with little or no msm coverage.

Thanks for that. Hopefully this can get the ball rolling. MSM has been a disgrace the last 24hrs ignoring this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This man is a national hero and I would love to see this news everywhere.

But this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deadlineday

Thanks for that. Hopefully this can get the ball rolling. MSM has been a disgrace the last 24hrs ignoring this.

No bother.if you could add the link to your OP post it might help.its will keep it trending on twitter and thats all we can do to keep him in peoples minds.MSM are we even surprised??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

myshirt wrote: »
    He's on the ball in the clip there.

The organs of this state are rightly corrupt right to the core, make no mistake about it. Huge, huge cultural issues in our public service and that's where it all stems from and comes back to; yes a few sinister people, but moreso it is a cultural issue more than anything, a paw out entitlement attitude. Gards, teachers, the lot of them. Jobs for your friends, cousins, daughters, friend's daughters. It permeates our culture.
    This says everything about our public service and its open competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

myshirt wrote: »
    I'm personally for very, very high CAT rates to stamp out passing that wealth to the next generation, the giving of gifts for house deposits, etc.
    If I was in a position of power I would give all my sons and daughters top jobs in the public service to defeat your tax on capital. And they would then appoint their sons and daughters. And I would tell them to do no work except brown nose others and form cliques to harass genuine workers and hunt whistleblowers.
    (the above is not my style, but is what we have)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How are people figuring that media are ignoring this? I read about this on RTE, Newstalk and the Irish Times, and I'm sure it's plenty other places also.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

DrumSteve wrote:
    But this is Ireland.

Romantic Ireland is dead and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave

Never a truer metaphor for this day and age, it's time to clean out the fossils of yesteryears take control of our future and dam the past of the old ways..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

^ This post basically the exemplifies the soft bigotry of low expectations.

"Ah shur, we're not perfect, but we're not as bad as dem uns over dere. See - look over dere, dem uns are worser" - all that s.hite.

There's a reason why Ireland goes through periodic systemic economic crises, and that those responsible largely escape scot-free, while those not to blame end up being on low wage jobs, falling into depression, emigrating, or worse. Simple as.

There's one little question that bothers me: If, as he says, he is now unemployable as a financial risk manager and has to depend on charity, why is that so? Surely, if there are other places where financial probity, and those trained to identify and mitigate likely risks, is prized then why would he have such a problem?

I only ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

MSM????

Googled it, had to, because I'm not cool.

JJUC!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

There's one little question that bothers me: If, as he says, he is now unemployable as a financial risk manager and has to depend on charity, why is that so? Surely, if there are other places where financial probity, and those trained to identify and mitigate likely risks, is prized then why would he have such a problem?

I only ask.

Everyone publicly applauds "Whistleblowers" and privately fears them, because maybe almost everyone in the corporate world has little, murky secrets they seek to keep. Why hire someone who might upset the apple-cart? "Not a Team-Player" would be the technical definition. Too straight would be the non-technical one.

Advertisement