Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonathan Sugarman. National hero.

Options
  • 13-04-2017 11:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74v-rWOa00o

Really not surprised MSM in Ireland is more or less ignoring this man's words. As we all know official Ireland wants to keep the status quo going so they can continue to live in the lap of luxury they have become accustomed to. It's hard not to be angry when you look at the attempts to destroy the lives of good honest folk who have come forward to point out scandals and injustice in this country.

Our state "public service" broadcaster not even mentioning this in their news broadcast at 9pm tells me all i need to know about where their interests lie and who they are beholden to.

Whistle blowers deserve to be treated as hero's and not destroyed by the cosy cartel of bankers, politicians and media.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74v-rWOa00o

Really not surprised MSM in Ireland is more or less ignoring this man's words. As we all know official Ireland wants to keep the status quo going so they can continue to live in the lap of luxury they have become accustomed to. It's hard not to be angry when you look at the attempts to destroy the lives of good honest folk who have come forward to point out scandals and injustice in this country.

Our state "public service" broadcaster not even mentioning this in their news broadcast at 9pm tells me all i need to know about where their interests lie and who they are beholden to.

Whistle blowers deserve to be treated as hero's and not destroyed by the cosy cartel of bankers, politicians and media.

But rte primetime has done numerous programmes exposing corruption, homelessness, garda whistle-blower scandal etc etc.

It hardly tries to brush this stuff under the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Not much more needed to be said tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

But rte primetime has done numerous programmes exposing corruption, homelessness, garda whistle-blower scandal etc etc.

It hardly tries to brush this stuff under the carpet.

Rte has pulled prime times on direction of the govt. Allegations that were too hot to handle. State controlled TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I read about this on RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

He's on the ball in the clip there.

The organs of this state are rightly corrupt right to the core, make no mistake about it. Huge, huge cultural issues in our public service and that's where it all stems from and comes back to; yes a few sinister people, but moreso it is a cultural issue more than anything, a paw out entitlement attitude. Gards, teachers, the lot of them. Jobs for your friends, cousins, daughters, friend's daughters. It permeates our culture.

We absolutely and unequivocally have to have the balls to put an end to these scumbags. Take the teachers for example, they have ruined it for younger members who either can't get a job or have insecure employment, and at lower rates. When faced with practical and viable plans that pushed for sensibility in their pay, a wake up call, a reality check, and importantly a focus on giving young teachers a fair chance (strategically, that's important), they chose push for a deal to save their own bacon, hit younger workers, and ultimately like their other scumbag union friends chose to lump unto this economy a whole cohort of young people deprived of work during their formative working years. They then come out with this sickening narrative of 'pay restoration' and 'pay parity'. Yes you should be paid the same, but paid the same by means of cutting your pay to the lower rate guys, not increasing the lower rate to what you're on. If anything, you teachers should do the decent thing and have the bulk of pay directed towards younger teachers, and take a hit to your current pay to clawback all the excess pay you got for too long.

I hate being so cynical, but it gets my goat to see political parties pandering to this with a newfound concern and purported interest in principles of fairness, transparency, and accountability. They have no interest. It's party above doing what's right and what needs to be done. This country very well could have been restructured to be more equitable, fair, transparent, and accountable. Don't let a good crisis go to waste and all that. But we couldn't pull it off. Weak governments taken for a ride. It's not easy to address needed cultural change, I accept that, but let's collectively have the balls to do it and sort these f#ckers out once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

Started a thread on this in politics cafe. Thinking that boards would be "on fire" about this. Nope. Hardly any interest. It's up to each and every one of us to keep this subject alive. Do not let this thread die, after hours is probably the best place for it. You will get per ricks saying " oh no, we are placed 18th out of 200 in corruption tables, so we are not that bad". Don't listen to that ****e. Probably central Bank employees posting that ****e. Watch out for the T.R.O.l

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

myshirt wrote: »
    The organs of this state are rightly corrupt right to the core, make no mistake about it.

If our institutions were corrupt to the core we wouldn't be hearing about the corruption. I'm not saying that we're a shining example of institutional integrity but I don't think we're especially corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Are Garda informants also whistle blowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Im curious as to what he had to redact. Just goes to show the levels of cover up. Fair play to him for doing and continuing to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

If our institutions were corrupt to the core we wouldn't be hearing about the corruption. I'm not saying that we're a shining example of institutional integrity but I don't think we're especially corrupt.

Bless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

Massively corrupt. That's how I would describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A basic understanding of the running of any county councils/govt agencies,even down to your local CE schemes are corrupt and openly agklowed as so
    ......so long as everyone/someone their friends with gets a bit of the money,a blindish eye is turned to it.

A long long time ago under TAMS (a farm grant scheme)...my father was advised to join the local FF (which he wouldn't do) to improve his chances of getting something out of it....even those these are decided centrally

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A basic understanding of the running of any county councils/govt agencies,even down to your local CE schemes are corrupt and openly agklowed as so

I'm not suggesting there isn't corruption - corruption is an aspect of human behaviour. I'm claiming that institutional corruption, nepotism, parochialism, clientelism, and so on, aren't especially an Irish problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Love/Hate wasn't a documentary btw.. :P

emo72 wrote:
    Started a thread on this in politics cafe. Thinking that boards would be "on fire" about this. Nope. Hardly any interest. It's up to each and every one of us to keep this subject alive. Do not let this thread die, after hours is probably the best place for it. You will get per ricks saying " oh no, we are placed 18th out of 200 in corruption tables, so we are not that bad". Don't listen to that ****e. Probably central Bank employees posting that ****e. Watch out for the T.R.O.l

Their bonuses are based on those tables, the higher we go the more they rake, same in Europe and the EU, it's a race to the championship finals... and yes that was a soccer pun too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

But but but.... ye dont know how good we have it. One of the greatest countries in the world to live. Be greatful you pack of whingers that you were not born in Zimbabwe. Look at the recovery folks, we are booming........

Kindly **** off to those people. Its a sad state of affairs how whistleblowers are treated and that the public tolerate it. Ireland could be so much better if the high ranking civil servants club were taken to task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm not suggesting there isn't corruption - corruption is an aspect of human behaviour. I'm claiming that institutional corruption, nepotism, parochialism, clientelism, and so on, aren't especially an Irish problem.

Just because it happens elaewhere in the world deos not excuse it/make it ok to happen in Ireland??

Corruption of any sort is wrong...pointing the finger at everywhere else but the problem wil never sort it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

^ This post basically the exemplifies the soft bigotry of low expectations.

"Ah shur, we're not perfect, but we're not as bad as dem uns over dere. See - look over dere, dem uns are worser" - all that s.hite.

There's a reason why Ireland goes through periodic systemic economic crises, and that those responsible largely escape scot-free, while those not to blame end up being on low wage jobs, falling into depression, emigrating, or worse. Simple as.

Shane ross stood firm and didn't pander to the unions in the latest row.

What do we have? Opposition parties calling him a disgrace rabble rabble.

When you try to do what's needed you get lambasted in the media and the Dail.

Citizens aren't much difference.

Our compo culture, welfare fraud, robbing, thieving. Scamming, tax evasion the list goes on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Shane ross stood firm and didn't pander to the unions in the latest row.

What do we have? Opposition parties calling him a disgrace rabble rabble.

When you try to do what's needed you get lambasted in the media and the Dail.

Citizens aren't much difference.

Our compo culture, welfare fraud, robbing, thieving. Scamming, tax evasion the list goes on

Monkey see, monkey do. Our political class and national leaders should be an example and moral compass for us all. As it is they are anything but.

I see RTE have this on their website now but not a dickie bird yesterday evening.

• Advertisement

Monkey see, monkey do. Our political class and national leaders should be an example and moral compass for us all. As it is they are anything but.

I see RTE have this on their website now but not a dickie bird yesterday evening.

People are responsible for their own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its all talk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

This should be made a stickie ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Official Ireland, rounding the wagons to protect their own since the foundation of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Forms of corruption exist in all organisations, that is something we cannot change because there will always be people who will try to buck the system in their favour - what we can control/change is how we treat those who are caught with their hands in the proverbial cookie jar because at the moment we are a laughing stock with how quickly those who are are caught red handed are swaddled and protected while the brave (and it is especially brave in this country where corruption is so rife) people who take a stand are pilloried and publicly crucified for simply stating a wrong that they have seen and bringing it to the nations attention.

Your Face wrote:
    Its all talk though.

Why? Cuz the hand ain't listening? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Only in Ireland would a (probably) highly paid public servant make the clerical error of accidentally cutting a specific piece of text, containing allegations of the most vile and disgusting allegations you could imagine, which made reference to "digitally penetrating" a young girl, and then accidentally pasting the same disgusting and vile allegations into a Garda whistleblowers file.

Of all the random disgusting allegations on file, they just happened to accidentally cut it from that one, and of all the random other files, they just happened to accidentally paste it into that one.

Of all the rotten luck, eh?

Next up, the dog ate my minutes of w NAMA meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

hytrogen wrote: »
    Why? Cuz the hand ain't listening? :D

The hands aren't doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

One man's whistle-blower is another man's traitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I actually feel for this guy personally also. A chap that I knew through a friend started a new job in 2007 with a bank here, and in an effort to weed out problems and issues really took the initiative in his job (he worked in compliance) just like this guy.

The CFO of the arm of the bank, financial controller, and other senior management must have known they had been rightly found out and caught by the balls, because they made this chap's life hell. But he was right, and was seeking to address issues and really drive improvements. Good natured. Good at his job. But not very tactful or smart in the political sense was he, he never seen Game of Thrones or House of Cards I suppose.

They under-resourced him, overworked him, bullied him, isolated him, grilled him, intimidated him, blamed him for it, even ate his sandwiches on a regular basis, the whole lot. It near on ruined the guys marriage, he lost weight, became overwhelmed, and was a right wreck. He kept it to himself, tried to work hard to keep the kids and wife happy which a lot of men do (we don't have feelings remember), but eventually it became too much. It wasn't until a couple of years later it all came out.

It is wrong. We need a culture of professional challenge and to applaud people who escalate real material issues and take ownership. I'm not on about the guy just constantly giving out and shouting about everything, that's not very pragmatic, but moreso the guy who is able to separate what is important from the noise and push the agenda on real issues. Applaud that guy. Don't nail him to the wall or seek to put his balls in a blender.

Advertisement