Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

begpackers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

GET A JOB TRIPPIES!

I can portmanteau too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I met tonnes of these tight arse backpackers around the world. So annoying. Don't go on holiday if you can't afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

You would think they would at least do something - like sing or juggle to try to get money. Standing there, head to toe in Patagonia asking for money is rotten.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Work for your money, if you cant afford your trip around the world then don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Parchment wrote: »
    You would think they would at least do something - like sing or juggle to try to get money.

yeah... this guy has the right idea

gfOXl0H.jpg

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    yeah... this guy has the right idea

...and we know what happened to that fictional character!

Reminds me to pick up some strawberry jelly in the shop this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The entitled generation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

This practice is shameful. If you want to travel, work and save for it. Then again, if you ask me, the people that willingly part with their cash to fund these trips are even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If your plan is to go to some of the poorest countries in the world and beg for funds then you need your head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,349 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If people choose to hand their money over to them it's their choice to do so!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I've seen that first couple mentioned outside Central World in Bangkok; in fairness to them they're selling their own photography, not begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hey,

Me and my mate Fiachra want to cycle around Europe and then bungee jump in NZ, then jump out of a plane, before climbing K2 all for good causes y'know...
    Please donate to my funding website - fundmyholidayohimeanpleasegivetocharity.com

Cheers goys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Why should anybody fund them as they "find themselves" on a beach in koh phangan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

All beggars are beggars. Whether you're looking for crack or a trip to Chang Mai.

The problem today is that there isn't enough shame in the world.

Why should anybody fund them as they "find themselves" on a beach in koh phangan

I'd fund them to Goh Phuk Dem Selves all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People busking their way around the world is nothing new, it's happened since the 60s and fair play to them. Just sitting there and begging though, that doesn't sit right with me and I'm not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They're in some of the poorest places on Earth with kids sleeping on the streets but they want money so they can keep their travel going? Fock that and fock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They must have a fairly tough skin and be incredible selfish, a few years a ago someone was telling me about eating free or discounted meal meant for vulnerable people in a city in Spain according to them lots of backpackers did it there is apparently a whole cult of travelling on the cheap by doing stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Anyone heard from Witchie recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I thought 'begpackers' was going to be a reference to how Australian people pronounce 'backpackers'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

mariaalice wrote: »
    They must have a fairly tough skin and be incredible selfish, a few years a ago someone was telling me about eating free or discounted meal meant for vulnerable people in a city in Spain according to them lots of backpackers did it there is apparently a whole cult of travelling on the cheap by doing stuff like that.

It's embarrassing watching them in Thailand haggling over 10baht for a 40baht noodle dish,you can just see the Thais dying inside when they start up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,186 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

me_irl wrote: »
    GET A JOB TRIPPIES!

I can portmanteau too.

I thought trippies were hippies who smoked hash? Or would that be happies?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I thought 'begpackers' was going to be a reference to how Australian people pronounce 'backpackers'.

I thought it was going to be a thread giving out about bag packers in supermarkets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

It's embarrassing watching them in Thailand haggling over 10baht for a 40baht noodle dish,you can just see the Thais dying inside when they start up
    There's a flip side to that. Having lived and worked in Thailand I know the prices generally, often prices are high because people on holidays can afford to pay it and don't want to be seen to be 'cheap'. So not haggling​ is as bad or worse than over-haggling.

The Thais will gladly tell them where to go if they don't get a fair price.

I think you're really projecting here. People in Vietnam anyway would think you're stupid for throwing your money away and I would, too. I don't mean you should be cheap but you should have some self-respect.

For years I've been watching people haggle from a blatant rip-off to a normal price and the only awkwardness or dying inside is because the seller got caught out. Regular locals are embarrassed by the behavior of some towards tourists, not the other way round.

That said, Thailand has been touristy for a lot longer so maybe all the locals really do have zero respect for non-Thais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

I thought it was how Willie Frazer pronounced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

People busking their way around the world is nothing new, it's happened since the 60s and fair play to them. Just sitting there and begging though, that doesn't sit right with me and I'm not sure why.

They're not busking though, they're begging.

Would you not be mortified though? If be mortified. A lot of my friends went backpacking and they worked their arses off to get from place to place, be in on farms, in hostels, bars, wherever would pay them.

Perhaps I'm too much of a princess or getting too old, but the thought of going on holidays to beg on the street and stay in dodgy hostels just doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I thought trippies were hippies who smoked hash? Or would that be happies?

No.

Happies are the children of one of The Seven Dwarves.
    Can't remember which one though:confused:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Absolute cretins

Advertisement