Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Chocolate Bar

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Glad to see StarBar getting a lot of love. Inside that functional packaging lies intense sensual delight. A StarBar is confident piece of chocolate, it knows what is about and how good it is, it doesn't need fancy packaging to prove it's worth. I Don't know if I would call it underrated mind you, it's received quite a lot of praise here, right from the OP onward, and I've never met anyone who met a StarBar they didn't like.

One truly underrated bar is Catch. It's not stocked in enough places if you ask me and most people to who I've waxed lyrical about it have never even heard of it. You people! You just aren't living! It's just so good. The way the rice texture works with the chocolate! Unnghhh! The way it turns into this beautiful goo inside your gob! Goo that I can't get enough of!

Fry's Chocolate Cream still satisfies me after all these years. Plus, I can't help but feel like an indecently decadent fucker while eating one - as I smear it all over my pleased-with-myself face.

Wispa. It's a favourite, because it just feels wrong. It tastes like chemicals: sweet, sweet chemicals. And it's filled with cavities that will magically transfer from the inside of the bar to the inside of your teeth.

Curly Wurly. More for the all action experience than for the tastiness. For a few minutes your teeth try to tame the savage beast, that's fast becoming a piece of gooey avant garde sculpture in your hands and you damn near end up giving yourself whiplash from pulling, teeth first, with all your might, before your head snaps back with shuddering G-force when you finally wrangle some of the mangle free. Most of the actual chocolate has been either sent into orbit or is busy decorating your shirt by then, leaving you with not much more than the caramel bones, that take your aching jaws ages to chew on, but it still oddly satisfies. Every one is an adventure.

Double Decker. I can't believe they're still getting away with making these; it's two bars in one! Don't things this good usually just stop?

I suppose the only bar that I'm not keen on really is Mars. The whole concoction feels too syrupy and gooey and requires serious chew-time; I have to stop what I'm doing and really focus. Eating a Mars feels like a test of endurance. And then it sits in you, feeling like you've ate a small portion of a neutron star: I'll pass thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Has to be yorkies for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Irish dairy milk - the one with the 8 squares, not the sweeter English version.

After scanning through the chocolate bars at the counter for a minute without finding what I was looking for, I asked the shop assistant "Do you have a kit kat chunky?"

The shop assistant came back to me with a monstrosity full of peanut butter which resembled the longer, blockier shape of something like the peasant's Mars Bar or Snickers, rather than the flat-rectangle, slim, foil-hugged heavenly wafferness that I craved.

Even though it bore the 'Kit Kat' logo, I scoffed and just asked again "Do you have a regular kit kat fatty?"

You read this far, may as well stick with me...

My ultimate and serious answer - A purple Snack on the side of a hot cup of tea, two of the little soldiers if necessary. At the right time, the experience is otherworldly, taste buds be trippin' balls.

I'd be fond of a Picnic, Twix or Galaxy the odd time, but wouldn't be too offended if you called over to the house with any chocolate really. That doesn't apply to anything with nougat in it or any of that turkish delight stuff though. You can take that muck with you straight to whatever circle of hell your poor soul is destined for.

From reading the thread, I must try a Star Bar. I haven't have one in possibly decades and forget what they taste like. Will pick one up later in the day if I don't forget.

Also, it was nice to be reminded of Cadbury's Fuse and Secret bars. If Cadbury's were to revive one of the two, my choice would be a Fuse bar. Light that bad boy up again. And for those wondering what the other tasted like? They'd never know, because it's a...

I can't even finish that, but yeah, I like chocolate bars. Add a cup of tea to unlock another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Are any of the people who've never heard of Star Bars from Louth,Cavan, Meath areas?

You probably know them as Staaaa Baaas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dairy Milk.

I like a pint of plain and a chocolate bar of plain.

Why complicate things?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

4 pages of a love in for Starbar, they're alright. Would take a moro/boost or picnic before it.

Drifter from a fridge for me, or a mint aero. Miss the Wispa Gold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Hooked

The plain auld 'thin' dairy milk for me. The one in the selection boxes.

It's like a flat Easter egg shard. I cannot eat a non-Cadbury egg.

The 'top deck' was a fave of mine. Many an evening after a shift in dunnes that I'd grab one before clocking out.

Star bars? Yes. An epic eat.

As for tea. Cadburys fingers... Bite a little off both ends. Use (very quickly) as if it were a straw. As soon as the tea can be tasted through the top end of the biscuit, whip that bugger into your gob (you have a 0.5 second window before it breaks apart and falls into your tea).

If you've successfully winched that tea-filled, buttery biscuit, wrapped in a Cadbury case into your mouth - close your eyes and enjoy it dissolve like some sort of dairy-milk disprin on your tongue.

Then risk it all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Picnic bars. Rarely see them though. Lions are good too. There's another one that I can't think of right now that's fantastic. Maybe it's because the last time I had one I'd just walked 25km. Some rice and chocolate covered chewy thing.

Starbars are just sludge wrapped in chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Of the traditional chocolate we get in Ireland, Moro bars, although they've been renamed to something now - unsure if they're Boost or Starbar, I think it's Boost. They are delicious.

Kit Kat chunky bars, particularly the peanut ones although there were some good flavours when they were figuring out which would be the most popular special bars.

Wispa, Mint Aero and Yorkies I'd happily go for.

In terms of the best chocolate, I'd have to go with Lindt or a European one. Irish Chocolate is getting too Americanised, and American chocolate at its extreme is barely classifiable as chocolate. "Candy" or possibly "caramelised cement" is closer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I know it's not a bar but my god these were just amazing :eek:

8ce99ff256b8424ba3d880d0d20a755e.jpg

You can get Marabou chocolate in Ikea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Mushy wrote: »
    4 pages of a love in for Starbar, they're alright. Would take a moro/boost or picnic before it.

Drifter from a fridge for me, or a mint aero. Miss the Wispa Gold though.

Actually - I forgot about Drifters - they are lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,240 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Loved Snickers Hazelnut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Parchment wrote: »
    You can get Marabou chocolate in Ikea.

Yeah sorry, when I said "were" I meant when I was younger and ate sweets and chocolate regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Starbars are nice but not as nice as Double Decker , Moro, or Picnic bars. It has to be Cadburys. Toffee Crisp or Catch bars, for example, just taste like cheap cooking chocolate. I tried a Catch bar for the first time in years recently, it was so bad :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

73Cat wrote: »
    Starbars are nice but not as nice as Double Decker , Moro, or Picnic bars. It has to be Cadburys. Toffee Crisp or Catch bars, for example, just taste like cheap cooking chocolate. I tried a Catch bar for the first time in years recently, it was so bad :(.

I like a Double Decker but I have to eat the nougat part first then the biscuit part. But nah a DD doesn't beat a Star Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Lads I was in Tesco yesterday getting Easter eggs and I full on intended on getting a star bar but I forgot when I saw the half price Ben and jerrys :o
    I shall try the centra across the road from the office at lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Super 8, super ocho from Chile, classic

There's another bar in Chile milk chocolate with almond if i remember rightly
    Ahhhhhhh

Advertisement