Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 50 minute 10 km here we go.....

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

juke wrote: »
    When you have that sussed, let me know :D

God...if only :rolleyes:

Sat: An hour and a half of weights

Sun: I actually quite enjoyed my route today. I decided I was going
    to run to the Phoenix park and do a few miles there and run home.
    I ended up running to Phibsboro, then up the Old Cabra road and down Nephin road and I was almost halfway so decided to jog back home through Cabra and then past Finglas. I seen a couple of scramblers coming out of Finglas park and felt a bit iffy since I was jogging alone down past the Industrial park and there's not much life there. I had my phone on show on my arm.
    Last time I seen scramblers coming out of that park was when I was a teen. My then bf was walking me home when two fellas came out of the park on a scrambler and robbed my bf's leather jacket and bike. They then lifted him up in the air by his neck looking for money off him. It was really awful at the time. Luckily neither of us were injured.
    Anyway ended up running up a steep enough hill past Janelle shopping Centre and into Finglas village. Stopped at a Costa for some water and then another 2.5 miles home. It was just 12 slowish miles but feeling far better than last week.
    I need to start increasing these long runs soon and trying to push on a bit too.

36 miles jogging
    32 miles cycle commute
    1.5 hours weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on the hills . I hate them with a passion !

Mon: rest today was supposed to be 35 mins easy but got caught in the rain cycling home from work and didnt fancy getting dressed again. I was absolutely soaked to the bone.

Tues: This was supposed to be 5 miles easy but because I missed yesterday I decided to jog commute for 8 miles altogether

Wed Cycled home from work and got straight into bed. Woke up at about 8.30 and got the gear on and straight out the door.
    6 x 1 mile repeats with 3 mins recovery was the order of the day.
    I find it very hard to find flat roads to do repeats on without having to wind around corners or go back up the same road.
    I decided to just run down the Swords road knowing I would have to come back up again for at least two miles.
    Paces were: 8.37, 8.13, 8.24, 8.20, 9.22, 8.24.
    For the first 4 miles I probably didnt take the full 3 mins recovery, just enough to ease the breathing. But for the last two miles I was wrecked going up Hardiman road. Then the last mile was actually more like a Fartlek run than a straight out repeat. I stopped a few times though only for about 20 secs.

Thurs and Fri: ended up just cycling to work, i think my plan was to take Thurs as a rest day and run Fri but when Fri came I went to bed for a nap and woke up about 10 pm so that was a write off.

Sat: 1.5 hours of weights. I increased the weight on the free weights so was quite tired after this but I have to say I really enjoy and look forward to this session.

Sun: I spent the day procrastinating, i decided early on that I wasn't going out looking at the rain hammering down.
    I havn't been very good with my diet the past few days.
    I've been snacking a lot on orange ice pops and popcorn. I bought two boxes of kids orange ice pops yesterday and had 3 left today.
    I only had an egg and portable porridge by the time I decided to head out at 6 pm.
    I just jogged around the local park and then the plan was to jog down to another local park but I got to 7.5 miles and was starting to feel a bit dizzy. I had no water with me and felt like my stomach was empty so I took a detour to my place. I took a pee, drank a cup of water and brought a banana out with me and continued on to another park for more loops.
    I had quite a good run today with just two miles that were really slow. I don't even think I was tired, more to do with losing concentration.
    14 miles

Mileage lower this week but I wont beat myself up about it.
    28 miles jogging
    32 miles cycling
    1.5 hours upper body weights.

• Advertisement

Mon: 35 mins easy which was 3.5 miles
    Tues: 5 miles easy
    Wed: rest
    Thurs: This was supposed to be a tempo run but was probably more of a steady run with 6 miles to work avg pace @ 6.3 and 4.5 miles home @ 6.3.for a total of 10.5 miles.

I have a run tomorrow which I'm unsure of and then the long run Sunday.
    I might cut the one tomorrow short if I feel tired so that I'm recovered for Sunday which is the key run of the week.

Off for a massage tonight so looking forward to that.

Hope you enjoyed the massage !!

Fri: Had to get the car serviced so a lot of cycling between work, garage and home. Decided not to run then as was jaded by Friday evening.

Sat: An hour of weights

Sun: 16 miles
    I had this route planned since yesterday. My dad wanted to go out and watch Arsenal play since hes on EIR he hasn't got all the matches. So I decided I'd run to Malahide and get a lift back.
    This was the run from hell. I should've felt fresh enough with no running since Thursday. I knew from the first steps that my body had no zip or bounce today. I ran from my place up the Swords road to Malahide roundabout. Then got to Apple garage and bought a banana and had some water. I already felt zapped and it was only 6 miles. I kept jogging and was thinking when I get to Malahide village I'll meet my folks instead of continuing on.
    Anyway I convinced myself to keep going with the promise of a drink when I got to Portmarnock beach with the shops beside it. I bought a Lucazade and drank it in record time and also ate some jellies.
    Back up the coast again and couldn't believe when I got back to the village it was only 12 miles. I had to keep going back up Malahide again and up as far as kinsealy till I got to 14 miles and then back down to the village again. Met my folks, my father was fit to kill Wenger when Arsenal were beaten 4 0. So glad I watched the Dublin game downstairs with my two pints of water and a Latte.
    Have to say I will not take that route again, its the most monotonous and lonely 8 miles I ever did getting down to Malahide. I really hope I was just having a bad day. I think I was when I think back to last Sunday and the difference in my feelings and my body.

35 miles jogging
    36 miles cycling
    1 hour of weights.

Tues: 6 miles - avg pace 6.4
    Wed: 5 miles easy
    Thurs: 6.29 miles easy
    Sat: an hour of weights
    Sun: I'm calling this a step back week. I was supposed to do 17 miles but body was aching from 11 miles so walked and ran the rest which was 15.5 miles. Jogged about 14.40 of that.

32 miles cycling commute for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

S.L.F. wrote: »
    Sun: I'm calling this a step back week. I was supposed to do 17 miles but body was aching from 11 miles so walked and ran the rest which was 15.5 miles.

Still a solid's week's work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Fair play you're going well.

Tell me you're using the Strava app??

If not, you'll love it!

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Fair play you're going well.

Tell me you're using the Strava app??

If not, you'll love it!

Thanks for that, Yeah I must start the Strava app. I'm actually only using a watch the past few weeks.
    Still a solid's week's work!

Thanks Juke, its a bit of a bummer but hopefully will get better next week.

Looking forward to next weeks post ! Nice running

Havn't been doing much jogging the past week, my heel has been giving me problems and had a few things to take care of after work like sorting car out for NCT etc.

Last week I jogged to work on the Tuesday and tried the treadmill on the Friday evening.

2 X 4 mile jog commute
    1 km warm up on treadmill and then 6 x 400 @ 12.5.

I had to stop the repeats as I wasn't feeling they were doing me any good.

Cycled to work for rest of week.

Nothing at the weekend other than the usual upper body weights for an hour.

Jogged to work Monday and my heel is pretty sore this evening now.

I'm not sure where this leaves me as I had given it a few days rest last week but I imagine there'd be no point in continuing training for the marathon.
    Even if I do get going it would be slower than any previous marathon I've done and I've always maintained that I wouldn't do another marathon unless I could better my time.

I also have an entry for the half and the 3/4 marathon so this is a bummer.
    I might do the half if I can maintain some fitness on the treadmill or jog every 2nd or 3rd day or something. I'll just do that for the craic and not think about time.

Morning SLF , sorry to hear about your heel . Take yourself to a physio - they might be able to sort you out ? Once you talk to them maybe make a call on the marathon/half marathon .

I think my foot problem is mostly gone now, it felt like PF that I had.
    Was mainly just cycle commuting to work.
    Started a p/t masters and with work I have been shattered.
    I started doing an odd 5km again and starting from scratch more or less.
    I will try and get out more now over the Christmas, think I have put on over half a stone so that needs to come again.
    Still doing the weights on the Saturday so thats going okay, will probably do two days a week over the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Can empathise with the weight gain! Mild Christmas ahead, hope you get out and enjoy it.

Best of luck on the masters - the effect of that extra work is easily underestimated.

Can empathise with the weight gain! Mild Christmas ahead, hope you get out and enjoy it.

Best of luck on the masters - the effect of that extra work is easily underestimated.

Thanks Juke...I know it is, I was think ah sure its only two evenings a week. Then throw all of the research for assignments on that and it equals no life! :rolleyes:

We'll lose the weight between all the skiing and the extra 5ks over Christmas ;)

Fri 22nd - jog to work and cycle home 3 miles e/w
    Sat 23rd - Free weights and machines in gym.
    Ben Dunne has put in new machines and I'm learning my limitations.
    Sunday 24th - My abs and shoulders were in ribbons. 4.8 mile jog
    Tuesday - 4 mile jog.

Hoping to get back to the gym again tomorrow if I get up. My sleep
    pattern is gone out the window now. Its actually a pleasure to get out for some air even if it is cold enough.

Thurs 28th - Gym, tried out some more of the new machines. It was great, there was nobody about so I was able to fiddle around with them without feeling pressured to move on.
    I ran a few intervals on the treadmill 5 mins @ 11, 5 mins @ 11.5, 2 mins @ 12 and 1 min @ 12.5

Sat 30th - Gym again, Not feeling that hot today. But got a 40 min routine done on the treadmill. Did a 3,2,1 min @ 12 x 2 with same recovery.
    I only did a few free weights and machines. No point killing myself.

Will try and get back out on the road for a 10k jog tomorrow or Monday.
    Just hoping I'm not doing too much to bring on any injuries.
    I feel good, this is the best my feet and calves have been in quite a while.
    I have been doing some stretching, nothing major though.

On a side note, I don't have a scales but weighed myself last week and put on a pound or two.
    Weighed myself next time in gym and had put on another pound.
    Weighed myself yesterday and another two pounds.
    I havnt even been stuffing myself so I'm not going to weigh myself for about a week.
    This is head wrecking.

• Advertisement

Mon 1st: 7 mile jog
    Tues 2nd: 5 km including 5 x 400m @ 12 with 2mins jog recovery

Wed 3rd: 4 mile walk. Legs very tight, I didn't stretch on Monday and then Tuesday my calves were tight and got really tight by Wednesday.
    So I thought a walk would be best to loosen up.

Thur 4th: 5.5 mile jog. Was running past St Pats college and some guy was banging his gf's head against the stone wall there. It was quite late and I could smell the drink while running past. The girl was calling for help but there was nobody around except me so I stopped beside them and stared at him and he walked off.
    Then she walked after him, that's the thing about domestics, you could stop and help the girl and more than likely she'd side with her fella because shes afraid of when she gets home or has nowhere to go.

Anyway I flagged the Gardai down further up the road and told them. I'm guessing nothing will happen but the guy will probably give her a good hiding when they get home for calling help and drawing attention to them.

On a side note this jog was very slow and I havn't lost my half stone yet, not even a pound. :rolleyes:

My plan is to do some repeats in the gym on Saturday and the usual weights. I'm going to try and get into the bars now as well and build some upper body strength which I'm completely lacking,

Lost a day yesterday, ended up sleeping 14 hours solid yesterday. I was sleeping arseways all week.

Over to the gym this morning

4 miles including 400m, 800m, 1000m, 800m, 400m @ between 11 and 12.

Did some free weights after this and a few machines.

Wed 10th: Feeling very tired and hadn't eaten really - 4 mile jog outside but no mojo.
    Thur 11th: 3 miles on treadmill followed by a good few weights both free and machines. Started on the bars, trying to build a bit of strength.
    Went for 4 mile walk to loosen out later with sister, nice pace for a walk, very foggy out.

On a side note, don't feel my running is getting any better, just plodding along with not much mojo but I have lost a few pounds not that I'm heavy but it would defo help my running if I lost my half stone.

I wish I had the free time to join a club especially a Triathlon club but just not possible unless I win the lotto. :(

Advertisement