Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championships 2017 - Read Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I thought it was interesting that he was able to barge through 3 lads having a go at him, totally ignore them, and then have a go at the linesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

C__MC wrote: »
    Sure tommy Walsh cut the nose of Brian gavin in an All Ireland final. It was all in good humour and warranted nothing so the GAA experts said

The rule clearly states intention. Tommy Walsh did not intend to hit the referee. Connolly intended to lay his hand on the linesman. The rule says, if you intentionally lay your hand on a linesman, you get a 12 week ban. The rules also state that if a referee does not deal with an incident during the game, the CCCC can review the incident and apply the ban.

This is black and white. This is not a grey area. Connolly, if the rules are applied, will get a 12 week ban. If the rules are not applied for whatever reason, the GAA will undermine their rule set. Some will see it is a a favouritism towards Dublin and Connolly. Some will see it as common sense being applied i.e. How can simply laying a hand on a linesman result in a 12 week ban.

But the bottom line, and I fail to see how there can be any argument whatsoever against this, is that if the GAA apply the rules he will be banned for 12 weeks.

Images of Mayo players, comparisons with other sports and other players, hypothetical situations, none are relevant to this incident. There is a clear, well defined rule which was broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Bambi wrote: »
    Patww79 wrote: »

Is there now? :D

Maurice-Deegan-1.jpg

And poor Deegan being threatened here, according to Pit Spillne

2016-09-22_ker_24829237_I1.JPG

Lord Jaysus how was it tolerated, think of the children, etc etc

The finger pointing that Spillane brought up is meaningless. It has no place in the rule book. Is there a video of that Mayo incident? An isolated image is not suffice for proof of an alleged breach of the rules. If the Mayo player above can be seen laying his hand on the referee deliberately then that player deserved a 12 week ban. However, all I've seen is an image and no video. Even if there is a video, I'm not sure if it's possible to revise an incident from last year in the GAA rules.

Regardless, the incident has nothing to do with Diarmuid Connolly's incident. He broke a well defined rule, and will be be disciplined according to the rule.

As an aside though, have Dublin as a team/group done anything to prevent Diarmuid from reacting to provocation? I don't think I've ever seen an elite level athlete respond to provocation so easily and so aggressively.

In a win at all costs attitude at the top level of all sports, many many teams have employed tactics of provoking opposition talent. For the most part it doesn't work, other times we see a high profile case like Zidane reacting and getting sent off. Only really in isolated incidents though. Connolly seems to react almost all of the time.

He's one of the most talented GAA players of all time, I've seen him hurl and he's quality. Unbelievably skilled footballer and the athleticism to go with it. Yet he reacts to provocation so often he spends a lot of time on the sidelines. It's a huge pity that he can't harness his aggression and stay within the rules, regardless what is done to him. We miss out on a lot of good football down to his temper. I wonder does he use a sports psychologist, or just a general psychologist considering his anger issues in the past?

Psychologists have had a big impact on a lot of top athletes who have trouble controlling the mental side of the game, he'd be worth whatever costs there'd be to ensure he stays on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

There was no intention to hurt or intimidate in my opinion. It was a nothing incident and if natural justice prevails he will get off. However, as already stated, the rulebook does specifically cover this type of incident and those found guilty will receive a minimum 12 week suspension.

McGeeney got 12 weeks up here after our game at home to Antrim in the league, on the basis of threatening the official. I get a sense from that incident that there is a push in official circles to create a zero tolerance culture around interference with the ref and on that basis Connolly could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,165 ✭✭✭✭km79

Django99 wrote: »

The finger pointing that Spillane brought up is meaningless. It has no place in the rule book. Is there a video of that Mayo incident? An isolated image is not suffice for proof of an alleged breach of the rules. If the Mayo player above can be seen laying his hand on the referee deliberately then that player deserved a 12 week ban. However, all I've seen is an image and no video. Even if there is a video, I'm not sure if it's possible to revise an incident from last year in the GAA rules.

Regardless, the incident has nothing to do with Diarmuid Connolly's incident. He broke a well defined rule, and will be be disciplined according to the rule.

As an aside though, have Dublin as a team/group done anything to prevent Diarmuid from reacting to provocation? I don't think I've ever seen an elite level athlete respond to provocation so easily and so aggressively.

In a win at all costs attitude at the top level of all sports, many many teams have employed tactics of provoking opposition talent. For the most part it doesn't work, other times we see a high profile case like Zidane reacting and getting sent off. Only really in isolated incidents though. Connolly seems to react almost all of the time.

He's one of the most talented GAA players of all time, I've seen him hurl and he's quality. Unbelievably skilled footballer and the athleticism to go with it. Yet he reacts to provocation so often he spends a lot of time on the sidelines. It's a huge pity that he can't harness his aggression and stay within the rules, regardless what is done to him. We miss out on a lot of good football down to his temper. I wonder does he use a sports psychologist, or just a general psychologist considering his anger issues in the past?

Psychologists have had a big impact on a lot of top athletes who have trouble controlling the mental side of the game, he'd be worth whatever costs there'd be to ensure he stays on the field.

There is of course a video of the mayo incident but there is a reason still images instead of video isbeing posted
    The player and the ref both had hands around each other as the ref and player were leaning into each other to speak about an incident
    It is INCOMPARABLE to the Connolly incident which is why still images were chosen by the poster

Back to Connolly. I've said it before many times I'll say it again.
    Dublin have done him no favours in the past getting him off when he should have just done the time so to speak. He has learned NOTHING.
    He is now 30 and not bringing as much to the team. They may not push as hard on this one but it's come too late for him to benefit from it.
    I honestly fear for him when his dublin career finishes ..........he clearly has anger issues which will lead to trouble for him when there is nobody there to cover up for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

There was no intention to hurt or intimidate in my opinion. It was a nothing incident and if natural justice prevails he will get off. However, as already stated, the rulebook does specifically cover this type of incident and those found guilty will receive a minimum 12 week suspension.

McGeeney got 12 weeks up here after our game at home to Antrim in the league, on the basis of threatening the official. I get a sense from that incident that there is a push in official circles to create a zero tolerance culture around interference with the ref and on that basis Connolly could be in trouble.

I think they really are pushing to try get rid of abuse of referee's the last few years so I can't see any way Connolly doesn't​ get 12 weeks. The gaa is facing a major shortage of referee's in the next decade so they relise they need to offer them better protection

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Draw for the first round of the qualifiers has been made:

Round 1A
    Waterford v Derry
    Louth v Longford
    Wicklow v Laois
    Sligo v Antrim

Round 1B
    Westmeath/Offaly v Cavan/Monaghan
    Armagh v Fermanagh
    Limerick v Wexford
    London v Carlow

First named team has home advantage.
    Good draw for Carlow after their encouraging showing against Dublin. Waterford will fancy their chances at Fraher Field against Derry.

1A games will be played on the weekend of June 17th/18th while 1B games will be played the following weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Is there now? :D

Maurice-Deegan-1.jpg

And poor Deegan being threatened here, according to Pit Spillne

2016-09-22_ker_24829237_I1.JPG

Lord Jaysus how was it tolerated, think of the children, etc etc
    Muddying the waters like this doesn't really help anyone. Posting still photos of, if I remember correctly, the referee and Mayo player putting their arms around each other in conversation and trying to intimate that it's the same as what Connolly did on Saturday doesn't help Dublin's case. It just makes it look like desperate deflection.
    It's a bit baffling that some Dublin fans want to constantly bring up Mayo and Kerry incidents that have absolutely nothing to do with the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Django99 wrote: »
    The rule clearly states intention. Tommy Walsh did not intend to hit the referee. Connolly intended to lay his hand on the linesman. The rule says, if you intentionally lay your hand on a linesman, you get a 12 week ban. The rules also state that if a referee does not deal with an incident during the game, the CCCC can review the incident and apply the ban.

This is black and white. This is not a grey area. Connolly, if the rules are applied, will get a 12 week ban. If the rules are not applied for whatever reason, the GAA will undermine their rule set. Some will see it is a a favouritism towards Dublin and Connolly. Some will see it as common sense being applied i.e. How can simply laying a hand on a linesman result in a 12 week ban.

But the bottom line, and I fail to see how there can be any argument whatsoever against this, is that if the GAA apply the rules he will be banned for 12 weeks.

Images of Mayo players, comparisons with other sports and other players, hypothetical situations, none are relevant to this incident. There is a clear, well defined rule which was broken.

If the referee says he saw the incident, and dealt with it, the matter is closed. Not as straightforward as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

glack wrote: »
    That article does not say that it shouldn't be a suspension but that he'll likely get off because the ref did nothing about it. Big difference.

Personally I think 12 weeks would be extreme but 2 cases recently both received that punishment. There has to be consistent application of the rules. Either they all get off or none of them do.

I do agree that he would be a huge loss to the GAA for the summer.

In the case involving a player, a red card was involved, the player was sent off by the referee. The relevant punishment for the sending-off was applied.

In Connolly's case, there was no red card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Muddying the waters like this doesn't really help anyone. Posting still photos of, if I remember correctly, the referee and Mayo player putting their arms around each other in conversation and trying to intimate that it's the same as what Connolly did on Saturday doesn't help Dublin's case. It just makes it look like desperate deflection.
    It's a bit baffling that some Dublin fans want to constantly bring up Mayo and Kerry incidents that have absolutely nothing to do with the incident.

I'm just following the logic of lads like Django who are saying the rule is black and white: you lay a hand on an official and you're banned for 12 weeks

Either they amend their logic or explain why the Altar Boy wasn't being hounded for interfering with Deegan :D

At this rate a 12 week suspension for Connolly would be a blessing in disguise because it's the only thing that will keep him out of trouble until the semis :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I haven't seen too much defending of Dermo from my fellow Metropolitans. Personally, any reference to pass misdeeds should be ignored, by those of a Mayo, Armagh or Dub... Connolly broke the rules and should be done for it. And if he's not it will completely bring the disciplinary procedures into (further) disrepute.

He was on edge all day and spent a lot of the second half manhandling the Carlow no. 2 who had the "temerity" to wind him up. I'm sick of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,165 ✭✭✭✭km79

I haven't seen too much defending of Dermo from my fellow Metropolitans. Personally, any reference to pass misdeeds should be ignored, by those of a Mayo, Armagh or Dub... Connolly broke the rules and should be done for it. And if he's not it will completely bring the disciplinary procedures into (further) disrepute.

He was on edge al day and spent a lot of the second half manhandling the Carlow no. 2 who had the "temerity" to wind him up. I'm sick of him.
    I get the feeling a lot of dubs are now
    Sick of all the drama he brings when in truth he hasn't backed it up for the past few years

km79 wrote: »
    Sick of all the drama he brings when in truth he hasn't backed it up for the past few years

Precisely. I was kinda hoping he'd get black-carded at one stage. When you get to that stage you have to wonder about players like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

He should be cut a bit of slack too. Not in relation to the incident for which he deserves a sanction, but too many too quick to overlook what a great player he has been. Without doubt he has lost some of that both with Vinnies and Dublin but obviously Gavin regards him as still worth having on the premises. Although I get the impression that last Saturday might have been a bit of a trial, which might explain Connolly's attitude and frustration as he did not play well, and no one knows it better than himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I get the feeling a lot of people are sick of the crap that is posted about him and couldn't be bothered engaging.

Some of the comments about worrying for him when his career is over and psychologists are laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I didn't notice anything like that here really tbh.

Personally I think he's just a bit of an asshole. His interview with Colm Parkinson had him coming across as a bit of a twat with a massive chip on his shoulder, and he plays like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He should be cut a bit of slack too. Not in relation to the incident for which he deserves a sanction, but too many too quick to overlook what a great player he has been. Without doubt he has lost some of that both with Vinnies and Dublin but obviously Gavin regards him as still worth having on the premises. Although I get the impression that last Saturday might have been a bit of a trial, which might explain Connolly's attitude and frustration as he did not play well, and no one knows it better than himself.

I'd say that's open to question.

It has to be weighed up against the fallout if he was cut from the panel. Might be lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Don't think there was much in the incident, but the rules are the rules and after they've thrown the book at the Tipperary lad, it's hard to see how they can justify letting Connolly off the hook.

I have wondered why Gavin continues to indulge him to the extent that he does though. He's a red/black card waiting to happen nearly all the time at this stage. I don't think his ability outweighs his volatility anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

PressRun wrote: »
    Don't think there was much in the incident, but the rules are the rules and after they've thrown the book at the Tipperary lad, it's hard to see how they can justify letting Connolly off the hook.

I have wondered why Gavin continues to indulge him to the extent that he does though. He's a red/black card waiting to happen nearly all the time at this stage. I don't think his ability outweighs his volatility anymore.

Well, Saturday might be seen as giving him a chance to get back in the groove. His last several games including with Vinnies have ended with him making a difference for the wrong reasons. Grabbing the ball from Kilkenny against Mayo and kicking for a point rather than playing down the clock was just criminal.

I doubt that DCB will appeal although it is rare that anyone doesn't, even just for form's sake! I hope they don't.

I've been saying it for soccer and I think the same for top level GAA matches that the refs should be miked up. I think automatically once players know that even giving a ref verbals or swearing at them will induce a ban then none of this type of nonsense will go ahead.

That showing a ref respect will have to then filter down to the club game where being a ref/linesman/umpire can be bloody dangerous. We've examples in every county of lads getting thumps from players and fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

12 weeks confirmed. Proper order.

iDave wrote: »
    12 weeks confirmed. Proper order.

Yup.

Hopefully no appeal.

He had to get that. Hard to know what Dublin will or should do now.

We should do nothing.

Accept it as there's no grounds for an appeal really. And we don't need the hassle or the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He had to get that. Hard to know what Dublin will or should do now.

Give the royals a good hammering?

Getting people of on technicalities is another reason why there's so little respect for officials from intercounty to kids games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

AGC wrote: »

I get the feeling a lot of people are sick of the crap that is posted about him and couldn't be bothered engaging.

Some of the comments about worrying for him when his career is over and psychologists are laughable.

I don't think it's as laughable as you might think. Don't forget he assaulted a fella in mcgowans a few years ago which he was lucky to get away with compensation for (which I heard there was a whip around for apparently and that he has connections high up in the guards but that could be all bs). He clearly has anger issues in general if that incident is anything to go by. None of us really know him so difficult to say if a shrink is necessary but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he's a decent candidate all the same, so not "laughable" in my humble opinion.

I can't think of anyone who reacts so badly to being wound up. Great footballer no doubt but have no time for him due to his attitude. Plays with a constant scowl on his face.give me someone disciplined wih 10% less ability any day as you're likely to get value out of him.....id hate to think he's a role model for any young lads in the game....

I'll always remember the great Maurice Fitzgerald coming on as a sub (I think he was a sub anyway) in that replay quarter final (I think it was the replay or maybe the point he scored earned the replay, tis a long time ago!) I think years ago and when he came on he was literally rounded on by a group of dubs and harassed to wind him up. How did he react? Well I think we all know how that ended with one of the greatest points ever scored (given the position and pressure)...Connolly could learn a lot form that kind of attitude...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement