Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championships 2017 - Read Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

cjmc wrote: »
    Oh I am not disagreeing with you as I honestly don't know , but I thought it was a response to the Cavanagh / McManus incident in the AI qf.
    There were calls in some media for straight reds for such fouls like the ones for "professional " in soccer. .
    At the time the GPA were looking for payments for players so to introduce a new red card offence for a " professional " foul wouldn't fly.
    I didn't know it was part of a review by McGee etc.
    In any case I don't think it works and should be replaced by a straight red for such offences .

No as I mentioned it had been voted through months before that incident in the QF.

The stuff about the GPA looking for money and professional fouls doesn't ring any bells at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

keane2097 wrote: »
    No as I mentioned it had been voted through months before that incident in the QF.

The stuff about the GPA looking for money and professional fouls doesn't ring any bells at all

The GPA were looking for a semi-professional redress scheme for inter county players no ? That was their mandate I thought and their sole reason to form ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

cjmc wrote: »
    The GPA were looking for a semi-professional redress scheme for inter county players no ? That was their mandate I thought and their sole reason to form ?

I don't remember any crossover between debate around red cards, black cards and the GPA looking for money for players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I believe the second Louth goal was one for the ages :)
    Jaysus wait til you see it in the highlights tonight.
    Seemed like a complete miskick from the Louth player. I was this close "wahey-ing" the kick until I realized that Paddy O'Rourke had gone AWOL.
    Kildare will tear us to shreds if our defence play like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Seemed like a complete miskick from the Louth player. I was this close "wahey-ing" the kick until I realized that Paddy O'Rourke had gone AWOL.

:)

Was talking to someone who was at it. She was like a pig, but said in retrospect it was funniest thing she'd seen on GAA pitch.

He's fkn lucky Lyons wasn't playing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Might not make the Sunday game, there was a dublin game and 50/50 split with the hurling leaves about 60 seconds for the Meath louth game. 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

whatnext wrote: »
    Might not make the Sunday game, there was a dublin game and 50/50 split with the hurling leaves about 60 seconds for the Meath louth game. 😀

It was not as dramatic as I'd been led to believe. Navan women!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Listened to the rte podcast, very balanced coverage of the connolly incident, poor duirmuid is the victim of it all don't you know.
    Talk about fake news, pravda would even blush at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Good article on it. Not a suspension for me.

http://indo.ie/etbz30cjS95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

And it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Patww79 wrote: »
    Nah he has to get one. It's clear cut as anything.

Two match ban would suffice. 12 weeks for that is crazy

Angel Di Maria in a professional sport got two games in 2014 when he grabbed the refereee in an FA cup game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

AGC wrote: »

Likewise. Justice for Dermo.

C__MC wrote: »

Comparing it to a different sport is pointless for a start.

There's a clear GAA rule for exactly what he did with an exact punishment listed.

Ah come on 12 weeks for that? Its a noting offence! If it was Brendan Murphy who done it, there wouldn't be a word about it

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

AGC wrote: »

That article does not say that it shouldn't be a suspension but that he'll likely get off because the ref did nothing about it. Big difference.

Personally I think 12 weeks would be extreme but 2 cases recently both received that punishment. There has to be consistent application of the rules. Either they all get off or none of them do.

I do agree that he would be a huge loss to the GAA for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭corny

Two match ban would suffice. 12 weeks for that is crazy

Angel Di Maria in a professional sport got two games in 2014 when he grabbed the refereee in an FA cup game

Depends on the sport. If he did that in Rugby Union they'd throw the book at him. The mere action of raising your finger would probably get you 12 weeks. Proper order too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's a clear GAA rule for exactly what he did with an exact punishment listed.

Is there now? :D

Maurice-Deegan-1.jpg

And poor Deegan being threatened here, according to Pit Spillne

2016-09-22_ker_24829237_I1.JPG

Lord Jaysus how was it tolerated, think of the children, etc etc

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

glack wrote:
    That article does not say that it shouldn't be a suspension but that he'll likely get off because the ref did nothing about it. Big difference.

Which is an awful argument.

Players get suspensions regularly for incidents that officials miss.

I don't think it was a major incident, no one was going to get hurt, but the rules are the rules.

He contacted an official intentionally. 12 weeks minimum. I think it's definitely on the lowest level of the scale so it shouldn't be more than that.

I just think its crazy that Connolly can puck the head off Keegan and be cleared to play the next game but he'll likely miss most of the season for a little shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Which is an awful argument.

Players get suspensions regularly for incidents that officials miss.

I don't think it was a major incident, no one was going to get hurt, but the rules are the rules.

He contacted an official intentionally. 12 weeks minimum. I think it's definitely on the lowest level of the scale so it shouldn't be more than that.

I just think its crazy that Connolly can puck the head off Keegan and be cleared to play the next game but he'll likely miss most of the season for a little shove.

Is branigan going to claim he didnt take action because he missed the incident :confused:

there's a lot of pucking that goes unpunished, which is why the kerry full back line are still allowed on a pitch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭corny

DDC1990 wrote: »

I don't know, i think its right the officials are protected to a greater degree. If Connolly really loses the plot Brannigan (or any other official) comes off badly second best. In contrast the likes of Keegan deserve it.:D

Sure tommy Walsh cut the nose of Brian gavin in an All Ireland final. It was all in good humour and warranted nothing so the GAA experts said

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Had the ref taken action against Connolly on the night then it could not be reviewed by the CCCC.

The fact that he did not allows the CCCC free reign to apply the 12 week ban.

And I don't see how Dublin can appeal that on the basis that the ref did nothing.

It's a rule that has been in place a few years now, if a action is taken by a ref on the field then that it that, if not then it can be retrospectively reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Pillar Caffrey having a go at Connolly. Rare you would see that dissent from a fellow clubman.

ixus wrote: »
    Pillar Caffrey having a go at Connolly. Rare you would see that dissent from a fellow clubman.

He's not a fellow clubman! He's Fianna. No love lost with vinnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He's not a fellow clubman! He's Fianna. No love lost with vinnies.

My bad, I was thinking of Gilroy!

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »
    My bad, I was thinking of Gilroy!
    m.

Still interesting that Caffrey did come out against him. He picked him first. What was noticeable on Saturday that where normally a player being set upon would lead to everyone in, Dublin players didn't. He did same again as well at end grabbing the ball for the last kick as he did against Mayo last year. Perhaps chill time for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement