Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think we'll ever have Euro pub hours in Ireland

Options
  • 08-04-2017 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I know you can scoop in Dublin until 2/3am but it does involve a bit of research and local knowledge, but I wish you could head out for a few at say 11pm and take your time until 2 or 3am everywhere, especially if you're a shift worker or a night owl.

Or do you think the immature, binging 'get it down ye' culture's far too ingrained and something that will never be eradicated here or across the water?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

dd972 wrote: »
    I know you can scoop in Dublin until 2/3am but it does involve a bit of research and local knowledge, but I wish you could head out for a few at say 11pm and take your time until 2 or 3am everywhere, especially if you're a shift worker or a night owl.

Or do you think the immature, binging 'get it down ye' culture's far too ingrained and something that will never be eradicated here or across the water?

Never going to happen because of binge drinking "culture" that exists here for a lot of drinkers. Unfortunately they ruin it for the rest of us that enjoy a pint and drink in moderation not untill we can no longer stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

As long as the politicians dance to the tune of the Vintners association, no it wont happen.

its frankly embarrassing at this stage that cities like Dublin and Cork do not have a more "grown up" nightlife scene.
    there are, of course plenty of secret after hours places,especially in Dublin, but the clique-y bull$hit attitude associated with those can come across as not very welcoming, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

It's not just the binge drinking. It costs a lot to have staff hanging around til 6am.
    I don't think Irish pubs would want to take that hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    "Binge drinking" is the biggest falsity of all time.

But no, we'll never see the hours here because our new society loves to proclaim Irelands drink problem so it can be another thing they apologise for.

Head out to town on any student night and you'll see that binge drinking exists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Lock ins???

Closing time is only a guideline out the country....was lead to believe it's the same in smaller pubs in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Head out to town on any student night and you'll see that binge drinking exists.

It exists because the feckers created "scarcity" by limiting licencing hours. Let them sell it 24/7. Give it 2 weeks, the "scarcity" idea will be dead and viola - we'll be like everywhere else. Because oddly, us Irish aren't "special". We're the same as the rest of the world. Create "scarcity" and an "ohh..don't look at the bad stuff" attitude and it creates demand. Knock off that crap and you get a mature clientele. "If you love them, set them free" - only in this case, for pints. It works. Mad as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

3 Pints in one sitting at least once a week. Believe it or not.

http://www.drinkaware.ie/facts/what-is-a-standard-drink

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lock ins???

Closing time is only a guideline out the country....was lead to believe it's the same in smaller pubs in Dublin?

In my 10 years visiting pubs I have never been in a lock in ???

Me and the fathers local don't do them and I'm not a regular in other places

Lock ins are for the locals

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Remember when the late bars/clubs opened till 3-30 out by 4 a good few years ago. Why did that revert?

And no other country has people that drink a load?

Binge drinking is defined as what? 4 or 5 drinks in one sitting? Load of me hole.

Couldn't tell you about other countries but I know it's a problem here:
    Binge drinking, or heavy episodic drinking, is a modern epithet for drinking alcoholic beverages with an intention of becoming intoxicated by heavy consumption of alcohol over a short period of time.
    I don't think it's about the number of drinks a person consumes it's about the attitude of getting absolutely **** faced I've seen it so many times. We can't just sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist or use the classic Irish excuse "ah sure everyone likes a drink".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

PTH2009 wrote: »
    In my 10 years visiting pubs I have never been in a lock in ???

Me and the fathers local don't do them and I'm not a regular in other places

Lock ins are for the locals

Your missing out kid!

In the village I'm from...it regularly geos on until 6 am or later.....ashtrays out etc

I wouldn't be a regular by any means...but tbf I'd be well known to the people's in there as most my family/friends would be drinkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

You can see the same in any college town in the world

Beyondgone wrote: »
    It exists because the feckers created "scarcity" by limiting licencing hours. Let them sell it 24/7. Give it 2 weeks, the "scarcity" idea will be dead and viola - we'll be like everywhere else. Because oddly, us Irish aren't "special". We're the same as the rest of the world. Create "scarcity" and an "ohh..don't look at the bad stuff" attitude and it creates demand. Knock off that crap and you get a mature clientele. "If you love them, set them free" - only in this case, for pints. It works. Mad as it sounds.

Yeah can't argue with that the fact that we have less time than other countries to consume alcohol on a night out means we have to squeeze it into a shorter period of time. If we had longer opening hours we wouldn't be in such a rush to get drunk and would potentially consume less alcohol over the same period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Your missing out kid!

In the village I'm from...it regularly geos on until 6 am or later.....ashtrays out etc

I wouldn't be a regular by any means...but tbf I'd be well known to the people's in there as most my family/friends would be drinkers

City living is harder for lock ins unless you knw a pub owner/manager very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Remember when the late bars/clubs opened till 3-30 out by 4 a good few years ago. Why did that revert?

I believe it is because the theatre licence loophole was done away with by the Intoxicating Liquor Act of 2008, the same stupid law which closed offos at 10pm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Buy beer and keep it in the fridge.

You can see the same in any college town in the world

That doesn't mean it's not a problem just because everyone else does it doesn't make it ok.

• Advertisement

That doesn't mean it's not a problem just because everyone else does it doesn't make it ok.

It also doesn't make it a solely Irish epidemic...Like we are lead to believe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Ah yeh that's the one.thanks The theatre licence. Loved the name, though it was more pissed farts than the arts.

Avada wrote: »
    I believe it is because the theatre licence loophole was done away with by the Intoxicating Liquor Act of 2008, the same stupid law which closed offos at 10pm...

It also doesn't make it a solely Irish epidemic...Like we are lead to believe

True if you did enough research you would probably find out that a number of countries have the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Ah yeh that's the one.thanks The theatre licence. Loved the name, though it was more pissed farts than the arts.

Good times

True if you did enough research you would probably find out that a number of countries have the same problem.

Totally agree. Would like to see longer opening hours trialed here for an extended period of time. We may actually grow up and not be "forced" into horsing down drinks within a tiny window or lashing down shots at ten to two just because the bar is closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Define "problem". People appear to quite like alcohol. They certainly head out to drink it with gusto. 99% go home with a wobble and have a headache the next day. 1% create mayhem. The same 1% that would find another way to create mayhem if drink was zapped by aliens and no longer existed. You're looking at the wrong problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Never going to happen because of binge drinking "culture" that exists here for a lot of drinkers. Unfortunately they ruin it for the rest of us that enjoy a pint and drink in moderation not untill we can no longer stand.

Have you tried drinking for 24hrs straight, it's tough enough not lose your balance....

It's not having 24hr is the cause of the binge drinking, solved a lot of problems in the UK. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11617185/24-hour-drinking-was-best-thing-Labour-ever-did-says-report.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You have the Vintners Federation and the Licensed Vintners who would oppose on the grounds of increased cost, it is convenient to have a scapegoat they can blame to their customers for fast shutdowns and abruptly early closing times which actually suit them better in economic terms.

Rural pubs, relying more on a smaller customer base, each drinking more than the average punter, are more likely to stay open late and open earlier than allowed in order not to lose scarce trade....it does not in any way imply that they like to do so but are forced to do so in order to compete for business. These people are much more likely to lobby their TD's for a retention of the present system but would not dare admit so to their customers.

There is a very vocal and strident anti drink lobby which operates openly in this country and has the fear and respect of most if not all TD's. Since most TD's have recourse to a workplace pub, open all hours and most senior TD's have the use of private cars and drivers paid for by the taxpayers of this country there is no first hand experience among TD's of the severity and strictness of our laws and their impact on the social lives and day to day experience of the ordinary people of this country. TD's will never get caught for after hours drinking in the Dail Bar or caught driving as most of them have drivers to cater to their transport needs, hence they are never in danger of running foul of drink driving laws etc.

One can see the ridicule and venom directed against the Healy Reas for questioning the current drink driving laws and see that a nuanced approach to controlling the impact of drink driving will not be accommodated. Our government are going for an all or nothing approach, safe in the knowledge that with paid for drivers, they will never be personally impacted by these laws. The 2 pint violator of drink driving laws can now be expected to be treated the same as an 8 pint, all day session, violator as in both will be disqualified and both will be savaged equally by insurance companies on return to driving. Common sense would tell most people that there is a difference between the two offenders but this level of debate and equivocation is not tolerated by the anti drink zealots who love to blame drinkers for all of society's ills. A nuanced, graduated approach can be seen in other driving laws which offer a graduated approach ranging from careless driving, to dangerous driving with different levels of fines and penalties and with little or none of the zero tolerance nonsense being directed against drinkers who happen to drive to early after their indulgence.

It is not outside the bounds of possibility that the limit will be reduced to 20mg for ALL drivers, not just professional drivers and novice drivers and having got that the government will look for more.

The impact of dysfunctional levels of drinking, and the lack of a coherent,organised and respected opposition to increased limits on the sale use and activities allowed at even moderate levels of intoxication and even the absence of the ability to have a debate about such things will militate against loosening tight controls on drink.

People should bear in mind that the current licencing hours were a "temporary" measure dating from the First World War. Once restrictive laws are passed they can be very difficult to remove.

Without Euro style public transport, population densities and personal self imposed from within levels of moderation in their drinking habits, the Irish nation will never get Euro style pub hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Used to be the case that you could go drinking on a night out and then hit some place on abbey street (cant remember the name) that had a theater licence. Leave there at 4:30 and get breakfast in some cafe off capel street and then hit an early bar on the quays for 6. You would be in some bad shape though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Beyondgone wrote: »

Exactly, was in the Brasserie La Chicorie in Lille some time back, open till 6am, can saunter in and get a three-course meal and a few drinks at 3am, while all these 'mad ones' in Ireland and the U.K are tucked up in bed, London is particularly pathetic for a place with centre-of-the-universe notions, about 90% of it is dead at 11.30pm. There are of course places that are open until 2 or 3 but they're club/pub hybrid meat markets for the under 30's.

Advertisement