Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLOW [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,426 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I remember hearing about this when it was first announced and it really didn't pique my interest (apart from the fact it starred Alison Brie), but that trailer actually looks very promising. I think I'll enjoy this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

This looks good, looking forward to it.

Just watched the first episode... It's class - it's got the '80s, Pro-Wrestling, and Annie's Boobs* (and I ain't talking about the monkey)... What's not to like...

*Obligatory Community reference

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just watched the first episode... It's class - it's got the 80s, Pro-Wrestling, and Annie's Boobs* (and I ain't talking about the monkey)... What's not to like...

*Community reference

Annie's pretty young. We try not to sexualise her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

2 episodes in and it's actually really good..

• Registered Users Posts: 60,426 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoyed it I must say and as a wrestling fan I loved the cameos from the real wrestlers

Welfare Queen who is played by real life wrestler Awesome Kong was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really enjoyed it. It wasn't hilarious or anything, but it was fairly solid throughout with some great characters. Alison Brie and Marc Maron played a blinder, and the rest of the supporting cast were largely great. Would definitely look forward to seeing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I watched the whole thing yesterday and today. Great stuff, very enjoyable. I'm definitely looking forward to the next season.

Really enjoying it so far. Maron is very good.

Also, Kate Nash is Britannica, was wondering where I'd seen her before. I remember she had a few catchy pop songs a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I watched one and a half episodes and thought it was pretty crap. They already did two "gags" with Marc Maron fumbling with the ring ropes. That's enough for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Really enjoyed that. Nice development through out. Alison brie looks wierd!! Fairly gaunt. Nice jokes through out, good cameos from wrestlers, I know Alison Bries character was the main character but it wasn't so focused on her that no one else got decent screen time which really helped the overall show. Great look to the whole thing. Good stories plenty of room to expand and develop next season. Thank goodness it was half hours I feel one of Netflix's issues is things running too long/ laboured, the half hour format has made them focus everything a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Really enjoyed that. Nice development through out. Alison brie looks wierd!! Fairly gaunt. Nice jokes through out, good cameos from wrestlers, I know Alison Bries character was the main character but it wasn't so focused on her that no one else got decent screen time which really helped the overall show. Great look to the whole thing. Good stories plenty of room to expand and develop next season. Thank goodness it was half hours I feel one of Netflix's issues is things running too long/ laboured, the half hour format has made them focus everything a bit more
    Agree. Half hour format was perfect.

I thought Marc Maron was great in this. Great pathos. I know nothing about wrestling so any cameos were lost on me, but it did make me appreciate the athleticism of it a lot more.

I loved every moment of this series. I'll be so pissed if it doesn't get renewed for a second season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

4 episodes in but already much prefer it to OITNB which I didn't get at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Best show I've seen in ages!!

Finished it earlier, hope it gets renewed. Great fun with some very human moments in it too.

Maron is the standout but Alison Brie is excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I've been a fan of wrestling for years. This was amazing. Well acted out and caught the sentiment of the 80's perfectly I think. Wrestling especially female wrestling wouldn't have been everyone's cup of tea back then but organisations like GLOW made it acceptable to watch. Looking forward to season 2 hopefully. The addition of real wrestlers made it brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Really enjoyed it and Mark Maron was the highlight for me and as a fan of WTF was happy for him

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭canireally

Really enjoyed this show. Hope it gets renewed for a second series. It was great fun and great characters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭RedTie

I've stopped watching at episode 4 and not sure if I'll return, I just dont get the hype about it.

Disappointing to see Brie lose so much weight too. She looks so different compared to Community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I liked it while acknowledging it's pedestrian storytelling. It's a shame that it ended when it did as it seemed to really pick momentum towards the end.

The cast and the novelty of 80s wrestling were the absolute stand outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think it is terrific fun so far but only 2 episodes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭canireally

I'm on about episode 7 and I'm really enjoying it. Loving all the retro bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoying it so far on episode 5

Not a fan of Alison Bries Russian accent

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I really, really enjoyed this. I don't think I've watched anything as straight up enjoyable since Freaks and Geeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Enjoying it so far on episode 5

Not a fan of Alison Bries Russian accent

Ah.....I think that was the point. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

About halfway through and agree with majority that it's very good. It helps that i get the wrestling references

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Finished the series, I really enjoyed that and will look forward to another series if there is one.

Maron usually annoys me but he was great in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Welfare Queen had me in stitches with the food stamps at in the last episode.Well worth another season.

Advertisement