Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever bought clothes in a charity shop?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I was a child I honestly thought charity shops were for poor people!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hubby had a jeans malfunction in work - went to the charity shop near their site and got himself a pair of Gap jeans in his size in perfect condition for 3 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

When I was a child I honestly thought charity shops were for poor people!

Some people still think this... some of my family call them "Pov shops"... My mum loves them, but only in towns where she won't run into neighbours.

I used to shop in them all the time when I was a student. I used to see one of my lecturers fitting on clothes in one in Galway. I hate clothes shopping now though so buy most of my stuff online. I still go to my local charity shops few times a year to drop stuff in (and usually come out with some mint condition CDs and occasionally books).

One of the worst things I ever saw for sale in a charity shop was half a bottle of body lotion. If it was unused, fair enough, but HALF a bottle ?!??

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Some people still think this... some of my family call them "Pov shops"... My mum loves them, but only in towns where she won't run into neighbours.
    What I meant to say really is I thought if you could afford to shop in regular shops you shouldn't shop in charity shops because they were meant for those who were less well off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I once bought some clothes for a fancy dress party in a charity shop. That's the height of it though.

I have bought the odd antique or vinyl in the local bric a brac charity shop but I would donate a lot more stuff than I buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

For outdoor work clothes, that are going to get splattered with concrete, plaster or oil, what's not to love about the 3euro hoodie or rugby shirt?
    Bought a suit for my mates wedding in a charity shop in Kilkenny. He was with me at the time, and was flabbergasted. Not because I was so cheap, but because he had give 400 euro for a suit the week before, and the one I got was 30.
    Am wearing a pair of Redback steel toecap boots that I got for 15 euro, brand new and unworn. They retail about 100 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭slovakchick

Jesus are you quoting some charity shops expectations of their customers or projecting your bias on charity shoppers? Ive never heard such carp, in your world do charity shops ask for proof of poverty before each transation?
    What I meant to say really is I thought if you could afford to shop in regular shops you shouldn't shop in charity shops because they were meant for those who were less well off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Jesus are you quoting some charity shops expectations of their customers or projecting your bias on charity shoppers? Ive never heard such carp, in your world do charity shops ask for proof of poverty before each transation?

You are missing the context. FO is saying what they 'thought' when growing up, not what they think now.

Every few months I'll do a spree and visit lots of shops in one afternoon, kit out my wardrobe for the next few months. When I feel I need new clothes I try to visit charity shops first and see what I can pick up before turning to high street shops for whatever I'm still missing.

I'm more of a giver to charity shops, I've never actually bought from one. Every now and again I do a wardrobe cull when the mood takes me and I know I've given away some really nice things, like coast dresses that I've worn to weddings but I know in my heart of hearts I won't wear again. Makes me happier to think that someone will hopefully get some joy out of it rather than leaving it dangling in my wardrobe.

Actually I'm on the look out for a charity shop in the D14ish area for me to donate to - theres none in my shopping center and I often end up bringing them to my Mam for her to bring into the one she goes to in town which isnt really ideal. Would need to be somewhere that opens on a Saturday as I work Mon-Fri. I'd like to give them to a good, well run shop that knows how to get the most for them rather that some musty, depressing place where they might languish.

Rathfarnham village has one or two nice ones afaik!

I once got two perfect Charvais shirts in the Vincents on Sean McDermott street. Might have been left in from Kinsealy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I donate but never bought. A former co worker once told me the best time to go in is after christmas once people start getting rid of unwanted gifts. She swore by it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not everything is a charity shop is second hand. I did a stint working in one and about 50% of the clothing stock was from high street retailers, stuff that hadn't sold or that had been on display in the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have always enjoyed visiting charity shops. They were always great places for a rummage and a bargain but since Mary Portas did her TV series on charity shops they have all upped their game and they are much smarter, cleaner and better organised now, but I personally prefer the jumble of the old days. I shopped there when our children were young and we were trying to make ends meet. When our income improved I stopped buying clothes and started buying books. When I finish the books I return them to the shop to sell again so both I and the shop do very well out of that. The books in the shops I visit are all in excellent condition, many are new and probably only read once, or even not at all. There are some lovely children's books to be had. If your children are great readers, get down there soon.

A poster said the charity shops they visited had a 'smell'. None of the charity shops I visit in Dublin have any bad smells, everything is tidy, neat and clean. The sole function of charity shops is to raise funds for a particular charity and they do a very good job. To find good bargains you need to go regularly as stock comes and goes.

These days our income has again sunk to rock bottom due to personal circumstances and so my visits to charity shops have increased yet again. I noticed a while ago in a local Vincent de Paul shop they have loyalty cards. I wouldn't dream of using it because everything is so cheap to begin with, and anyway it is for charity, but some people might need and appreciate that little extra discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If you go into a charity shop expecting to find a bargain, chances are that you'll be disappointed. While they do have a lot of poor quality junk they can have real finds and this is what the people who wax lyrical about them really like.
    In the past my missus has gotten some lovely clothes including a 3/4 length tan leather coat from Zara and a stunning leather suit (trousers and jacket) from Brown Thomas of all places.

The quality absolutely varies from place to place so some are better than others. Visit a few and visit at different times of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I went through a period of buying boxsets, watching them then donating them for free, back to the shop.
    Meant you'd get a whole collection of a show for cheap, watch it and it doesn't clutter up the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Everything I've bought to wear in the past three years has been from charity shops. Its a good form of recycling.

I got a nice Wallis raincoat (€6), jeans (€1), linen shirt (€4) and top (€3). A nice evening jacket I got was only €3 and I received many compliments at the function I was attending. My local charity shop only sells items which are in good condition and they are great value for books, games, DVDs and CDs.

Many shops have brand new stuff donated by stores at the end of their lines. The shop in Liffey St Dublin (Gorta, I think) is near M&S and I have picked up brand new things there at a fraction of the price.

Things I would not consider buying in a charity shop: electrical goods because of safety considerations; ornaments and crockery (have too much of this stuff already).

cbreeze wrote: »

Many shops have brand new stuff donated by stores at the end of their lines. .

TKMaxx!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    A poster said the charity shops they visited had a 'smell'. None of the charity shops I visit in Dublin have any bad smells, everything is tidy, neat and clean. The sole function of charity shops is to raise funds for a particular charity and they do a very good job. To find good bargains you need to go regularly as stock comes and goes.

The smell seems to have faded off, but it's a very specific one when you get it. Smells of Old. A sort of musty, thick smell, often mixed faintly with lavender or dodgy incense. But bear in mind it's a good ten-fifteen years since I tried charity shops prior to going to England and discovering how awesome charity shops can be. And it may have been that the specific ones I was in were just not very good - you know, a few piles of battered boardgames and jigsaws that would know are missing three vital bits, a shelf of tattered books, a pile (or row) of boots and shoes, some musty clothes on a rail, a few bits of dubious electronics and a shelf of tat. And the smell, as mentioned!

Charity shops seem to have seriously upped their game though and you can get some great bargains in there, especially if you're fortunate enough to find a pair of jeans that fit. But if you're ever in Norwich, find Alladin's Cave (yes, it is spelled weirdly), across from the Loft auctioneers. It is amazing. Actually, there's a row of decent charity and second-hand shops on that street.

Does anyone else, when visiting a town they're unfamiliar with, google charity shops in that location the night before? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Does anyone else, when visiting a town they're unfamiliar with, google charity shops in that location the night before? :D

Indeed yes. Absolutely. When I moved, I quickly found our local one, AND researched where the money went. They support 7 small local charities. Like one I knew before who have to the local animal charity who helped so many spay and neuter... "Fix it for a fiver."

yes there is often a certain aroma! Old clothes especially coats, that have been kept inside too long, but hey!
    So what? A small thing surely.

I have more trouble with the stinky conditioner they seem to bathe stuff in as I am highly allergic to it. But again, easily remedied. A wash and I would wash everything anyways

All my sheets, pillowcases and all my nightdresses etc come from charity shops; simple jerseys etc too and books galore which I get for 4 for a euro and return .

And just now am still sorting after the move and they are delighted to see sacks of knitting yarn which goes to old folk to work with. I hear some lovely stories too..

And sometimes I see eg a pretty mug that cheers me .. I tend to spend
    maybe 2-3 euros every visit and enjoy meeting the same ladies.

These small shops ( and I do not support the big organisations ) fill a vital role in filling the shortfall left by grants etc .

God bless the folk who work in them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

....It might be because I'm a guy and they might suit women better.....

Lots of men visit charity shops. Those I've seen are looking for books, others are looking at the cd's, dvd's, and yes even videos and vinyl. In the shops in Terenure there seems to be a lot of students trying to kit out their student accommodation with crockery and cutlery.....or replace the stuff they've broken!!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Lots of men visit charity shops. Those I've seen are looking for books, others are looking at the cd's, dvd's, and yes even videos and vinyl. In the shops in Terenure there seems to be a lot of students trying to kit out their student accommodation with crockery and cutlery.....or replace the stuff they've broken!!

I suppose I'm just basing it from where I live. There's tree charity shops in town and they mainly only cater for women in my honest opinion and it seems to be mainly women visiting them!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

This may come across as snobby, but if you go to ones in posher areas you might get some real bargains on designer gear. My office is next to an affluent part of London so sometimes at lunchtime I'll stroll over and check out the 4 charity shops near each other. Saw a pair of Chloe boots in the window of one, like new but not my size :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I suppose I'm just basing it from where I live. There's tree charity shops in town and they mainly only cater for women in my honest opinion and it seems to be mainly women visiting them!

Maybe depends on when you go in? If during working hours? Mostly women then of course.

I see old men searching the books....and we women still do all the real shopping

Not after "designer " stuff whatever that term means! Money is so scarce always. I get attractive full length nighties for e2 each. And when I see the cost of these things in shops I wonder how anyone can afford to live. Especially us pensioners.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe depends on when you go in? If during working hours? Mostly women then of course.

I see old men searching the books....and we women still do all the real shopping

Not after "designer " stuff whatever that term means! Money is so scarce always. I get attractive full length nighties for e2 each. And when I see the cost of these things in shops I wonder how anyone can afford to live. Especially us pensioners.

It's from what I've been told by people and the people I've seen going in and out to them.
    If I'm being honest most of the pensioners I know are better off than they ever were!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

When visiting a strange town, I just ask the hotel receptionist, or a taxi-driver, "Which is the street with all the charity shops?" (There's always one!)
    Then I just go to that street.

I did this once in Sydney, Australia, when I reached there in the local winter having travelled from a hot climate.
    Just bought a warm jumper, woollen coat and a scarf, for a few dollars.
    Wore them there in the rain, and through the snow in New Zealand, then handed them back to the Salvation Army in Auckland.

This saved having to carry any heavy stuff: it is a policy I recommend. The charity actually benefits twice - no waste - airline weight saved - win win win!

It's from what I've been told by people and the people I've seen going in and out to them.
    If I'm being honest most of the pensioners I know are better off than they ever were!

That is very true. When my parents got the pension, they had more disposable cash coming into their hands than they ever did during their working life.
    The fact that we were gone from the "nest" and the house was their own was a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Day Lewin wrote: »
    When visiting a strange town, I just ask the hotel receptionist, or a taxi-driver, "Which is the street with all the charity shops?" (There's always one!)
    Then I just go to that street.

I did this once in Sydney, Australia, when I reached there in the local winter having travelled from a hot climate.
    Just bought a warm jumper, woollen coat and a scarf, for a few dollars.
    Wore them there in the rain, and through the snow in New Zealand, then handed them back to the Salvation Army in Auckland.

This saved having to carry any heavy stuff: it is a policy I recommend. The charity actually benefits twice - no waste - airline weight saved - win win win!

There's a touch of the Jack Reacher about you. ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I hate shopping in regular shops where I can see what they have quite clearly in front of me, so there's no way I'm going to go rummaging in a charity shop on the off-chance that I'll find something I like, even if turns out to be the bargain of the century. I avoid TK Maxx for the same reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement