Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever bought clothes in a charity shop?

Options
  • 05-04-2017 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭

I often hear people saying they've bought great bargains in charity shops. However I've looked at charity shops in the past and all I've ever seen in them is other people's old junk. It might be because I'm a guy and they might suit women better.

Have you ever bought clothes in a charity shop?

Have you ever bought clothes in a charity shop? 93 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 93 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Do they sell used underwear?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I've got some great ones in my area. Two weeks ago I got a gorgeous Armani Exchange coat for £25, a cool studded grey Topshop top for £4 and a lovely Mango top for £5. All as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Trotters

Am dressed almost entirely out of charity shops, the jumper'n'jeans kinda look. Cheap and for a good cause, whats not to love?
    They often have good shirts, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Get the kids football jerseys in the local one. Usually €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've gotten loads of clothing in charity shops, branded goods for a few euros. Best buy was a new, unworn pair of Converse for a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes i have.
    It can be hit and miss. That is part of the attraction for some people, you never know what will be there.
    Charity shops in well off areas can be very good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I have in the past, got a couple of nice blazers. Haven't in a good while though. You really have to go rummaging but there are gems to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

This isn't Japan ! :eek: :PAC:

Yeah I've bought a few bits in charity shops. Sometime it just luck if the draw really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Bought a Hugo Boss suit in one for €17. Bought a pair of Merrell hiking boots in another. Still have both a few years later, though the boots are nearing the end.

Also, there's an education-themed shop in Limerick where, as well as stuff like textbooks and dictionaries, you can pick up 2nd hand uniforms, which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

I've done well over the years, especially on dresses with good labels - Hobbs etc, usually get them for €5 - €10. As someone up thread said, its the thrill of rummaging that I enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I did when I was unemployed and couldn't afford to buy new. You get some good deals when you can pop in every day mid-week to see what's there. Not so much if you only go in on Saturday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

isn't it said that socks are things they get fewest donations of, but are the things most needed by homeless ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Not very often but have gotten some great bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I suppose my area might be unlucky most of the stuff I've seen in them has being tat to be honest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have I bought clothes in a charity shop ?
    I buy the same ones every week.

"Save a fortune on your laundry bills. Give your dirty shirts to Oxfam. They will wash and iron them and you can then buy them back for fifty pence."

The best bit about this Viz Top Tip is that McDonalds used it , got sued, and had to settle out of court with a generous donation to Comic Releif.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I've bought clothing from U.K charity shops, but there's nothing in my style over here. I usually just go in for the books/pass some time in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I bought a lovely long wool overcoat for e5, pristine condition. Didn't fit me sadly, but fits my dad like it was made for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Not so much charity shops for me , ex army shops are the way to go.
    I'm now dressed as a Moroccan air force general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Yup all the time! 80% of my wardrobe is probably from charity shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

No, I'd feel embarrassed going into the shop. They sound a bit like TK Maxx to be honest where I also feel shy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

B00! wrote: »
    Had I felt that way, my roommate would have nothing to wear.

Why are you shopping for your roommate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I bought a thick leather belt in a charity shop.
    Still have it. Cost about 3 euros.
    I pop in every so often for a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No I drop clothes in sometimes and it smells like death

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No, I'd feel embarrassed going into the shop. They sound a bit like TK Maxx to be honest where I also feel shy.

My mother calls TKMaxx a Charity Shop that shops unload their unwanted stock in!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Yes, quite a lot. I couldn't tell you what brands the stuff would have been, as I have no clue about those. But I found lovely tops, cardigans and dresses, in good quality materials, in nice colours and cuts the suit me.

But yes, you need to bring time and patience to find anything good.

I refuse to look at the books in them, though. The state those poor things are in is usually utterly deplorable, and I'm a person who treats books well. It just makes me sad to see books with broken spines, dog-eared, with pages hanging out of them... it's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

When I left Ireland, I'd never particularly bought anything in a charity shop. They mostly just smelled musty and a few sad moth-eaten clothes hung in a corner. Then I went to England and discovered that charity shops could be awesome. I personally am a fan of "bohemian" clothes - I like gypsy skirts and brocade or velveteen tops that you usually only find at insane prices in shops that smell of incense and play Bulgarian panpipe music at you. Charity shops can be great for those and because the clothes are a bit fancy and odd, they don't tend to be worn much ("What on earth has Aunty Gladys sent me?"). It's the sort of clothing you either wear to death over years or you get rid of it to a charity shop asap. Also found a gorgeous silk Persian-style embroidered ...not really sure what it is, tbh, either a king-sized bedspread/duvet protector or possibly an extremely fancy tablecloth in one for a fiver. It weighs a tonne and it's a bit impractical for anything, but I've treasured it home from England again and live in hope of finding a use for it! Also good for finding long lengths of linen or other materials that can be salvaged from old fancy curtains and the like.

Also great for books. Often ailing books, ancient and over-loved, in need of a kindly retirement home, but books you don't find in new bookstores.

Since getting back from England, charity shops in Ireland seem to have improved. They're still not as good as those in England, but it might be that the ancient and cheerfully boho university city I was living in just had particularly good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I'm more of a giver to charity shops, I've never actually bought from one. Every now and again I do a wardrobe cull when the mood takes me and I know I've given away some really nice things, like coast dresses that I've worn to weddings but I know in my heart of hearts I won't wear again. Makes me happier to think that someone will hopefully get some joy out of it rather than leaving it dangling in my wardrobe.

Actually I'm on the look out for a charity shop in the D14ish area for me to donate to - theres none in my shopping center and I often end up bringing them to my Mam for her to bring into the one she goes to in town which isnt really ideal. Would need to be somewhere that opens on a Saturday as I work Mon-Fri. I'd like to give them to a good, well run shop that knows how to get the most for them rather that some musty, depressing place where they might languish.

I don't think I've even ever been in a charity shop to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

My mam would be good at the charity shops thing.

I've never bought anything in one.

Based on the stuff I give to them though, there are definitely some deadly bargains to be had!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭slovakchick

He'd wear your grand dads underwear
    oneilla wrote: »
    This isn't Japan ! :eek: :PAC:

Yeah I've bought a few bits in charity shops. Sometime it just luck if the draw really.

Advertisement